What's new

A few interesting facts about the great pyramid of Cheops (1 Viewer)

AaronMg

Stunt Coordinator
I gathered this from a few notes in my history class.
It has has been said that the stone blocks used for building Pyramids were moved on rollers. But the Egyptiands could scarecly have felled and turned into rollers, the few treesm mainly date palms, that then grew in Egypt, because the dates from the palms were urgently needed for food and the trunks were the only thing s giving shade to the dried up ground. But there must have been wooden rollers, otherwise there would not even be the feeblest technical explanation of the building of the pyramids. Did the Egyptians import wood? In order to import wood, there must have been sizeable fleet, and even transported up the nile to cairo. Since the Egyptians did not have horses and carts at the time of the building of the great pyramid, there was no other possibility. The horse-and-cart was not introduced untill the 17th dynasty, about 1600 B.C.
It is well known that the ancient Egyptians practiced solar religion. The sun god, Ra, travled through the heavens in a bark. Pyramid texts of the Old Kingdom even descrive heavenly journeys by the king, obviously made with the help of the gods and their boats. So the gods and kings of the Egyptians were also involved with flying...
Is it really a coincidence that the height of the pyramid of Cheops multiplied by a thousand million - 98,000,000 miles(157 711 400km) - corresponds approximatly to the distance between the earth and the sun? Is it a coincidence that a meridian running through the pyramids devides the continents and oceans into 2 equal halves? Is it a coincidence that the area of the base of the pyramid devided by twice its height gives the calibrated figure, 3.14159(Pie)? Is it a coincidence that calculations of the wieght of the earth were founf and is it also a coincidence that the rocky ground on which the structure stands is carefully and accurately levelled?
There is not a single clue to explain why the builder of the pyramid of Cheops, the Pharoah Khufu, chose that particular rocky terrian in the desert as the site of his edifice... it would certainly have been more practical to locate the building site near the eastern quarries in order to shorten transport distances... Since there is so much to be said against the textboox explanations of the choice of site, one might reasonably ask whether the gods did not have their say here too, even if it was by way of the priesthood. For the pyramid not only devides the continents and oceans into 2 equal halves; it also lies at the center of gravity of the continents. If the facts are coincidences, and it seems extremely difficult to believe that they are - then the building site was chosen by beings who knew all about the spherical shape of the earth and the distrobution of the continents and seas.
Today, in the 21 century, no architectcould build a copy of the pyramid of Cheops, even if the technical resources of every continent were at his/her disposal
-Chariot of the Gods By Evon Dankin
I just thought this was really interesting.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Wasn't that supposed to be 'Chariots of the Gods?' Yeah, I remember reading that way back, like about 30 years. I don't think there is any way humankind could have built them. I did hear later that they put them on barges for most of the trip. I think the quarry was in Sudan (but my memory may be fading).

Needless to say, when the Stargate movie came out, I really cracked up! Yes, I do think they got help. You did want to turn this into a discussion about aliens, right?

Just checking
Glenn

Kraig Lang

Stunt Coordinator
Another Interesting Note on the pyramids is that it has never been significantly proven that it is a tomb. There aren't any heiroglyphs in the pyramid as found in all of the other tombs. The one thing found was a red ochre print on one wall, but it is believed by some that this was originally put there by the first modern archeologist who found the hidden chambers.
Another interesting note I read one time was that the pathway from the the entrance to the king's chamber when measured in inches has some uncanny comparisons to modern history where siginificant events coincide with major changes in the pathway (i.e WWI, WWII,...etc). The pathway is supposedly measured to end in 2012. Interesting corrolation there with the Mayan Calendar.
Okay, so you peaked my conspiracy bone. ;)
Kraig

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
I don't think there is any way humankind could have built them.
Never underestimate slave lords that are egotistic, religous zealots.

I would also hope aliens don't condone slave labor, that would tarnish their benevolent image.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Today, in the 21 century, no architectcould build a copy of the pyramid of Cheops, even if the technical resources of every continent were at his/her disposal
What do you mean? Is it impossible with our current technology to replicate that pyramid (life size?) ? Or is it impossible to make a model of it because we do not know it's internal architecture?

--
Holadem

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
Holadem, the impossibility lies with the tolerances used in assembling the pyramid. First off, it's built over a stone hill - which would cause many problems when surveying and laying the lower courses of stones. Second, the corner angles are accurate to within hundredths of a degree - a precision we can't replicate today, made even more difficult since the pyramid is laid over a hill and the fact that the base covers several acres! Third, some of the stones used in the construction weigh in the neighborhood of 100 tons! There are only a handful of cranes that could lift this, and they require several weeks prep time per stone. Most of the other stones are around 30 tons apiece, and this still falls in the RFH (Really Freakin' Heavy) range and would need roughly the same prep as the BIG ones! We would need to do all this and still form the inner chambers and passageways with all their tight tolerances...

As to the transportation of the stones, I remember reading a story in some archeology book about a group of monks in Asia who were rumored to move boulders by sound, i.e. group chanting. Discuss amongst yourselves!

Julie K

Screenwriter
I gathered this from a few notes in my history class.
-Chariot of the Gods By Evon Dankin
A history class teaching the quack theories of Eric von Daniken?!?

Enjoy the gradual slide back to ignorance and superstition. That's where we're all headed if this sort of nonsense continues.

CharlesD

Screenwriter
Its amazing to think that a meridian going through wherever I am divides the cont intents and oceans into two equal halves. Coincidence? I think not!

JayV

Supporting Actor
Hasn't this guy (Eric von Daniken, not "Evon Dankin") been debunked repeatedly since publication of Chariot of the Gods in 1969?
From the Skeptic's Dictionary:
"Where is the proof for von Däniken's claims? Some of it was fraudulent. For example, he produced photographs of pottery that he claimed had been found in an archaeological dig. The pottery depicts flying saucers and was said to have been dated from Biblical times. However, investigators from Nova (the fine public-television science program) found the potter who had made the allegedly ancient pots. They confronted von Däniken with evidence of his fraud. His reply was that his deception was justified because some people would only believe if they saw proof ("The Case of the Ancient Astronauts," first aired 3/8/78, done in conjunction with BBC's Horizon and Peter Spry-Leverton)!"
More here. There is a link on this page to Nova's web site where they demonstrate some of his sleight-of-hand with respect to spaceship parking lots.
-j

Ralph Summa

Supporting Actor
I think it's cool that the pyramids of Giza are laid out to match the belt in the constellation Orion and other pyramid complexes throughout Egypt coincide with the position of the outer stars in Orion. It's over a huge area that this happens.

I read "Chariots" when I was in my formative years and thought it was the coolest thing I had ever read. Even if you take the whole alien idea out of the equation the book is pretty much considered a load of crap based on manipulated "facts".

Julie K

Screenwriter
of his sleight-of-hand with respect to spaceship parking lots.
I've always found it quite amusing to think that any aliens capable of traveling and navigating the mind-boggling huge distances between stars would then need massive structures or lines scratched in a desert on a planetary surface to find their way around.

Haven't these idiotic aliens ever developed something like a GPS system?

JayV

Supporting Actor
Good one, Julie! That earned a LOL and a "I gotta remember that one."

Charles, those much caressed in the physical world know that meridians are the work of aliens. We simply do not have the technology to etch those thin lines all over the world with such uncanny precision.

Ralph, did you see that show on Discovery Channel called (IIRC) Pyramids, Tombs and Crypts? The host showed how the pyramids were built to line up with certain constellations. I thought that was pretty neat, too. You might want to check it out if you haven't seen it. Also, did you know that some nut put a Dallas Cowboys logo in your sig? Just thought you'd want to know.

And finally, Aaron, I hope you don't think any of this tomfoolery is directed toward you. You've started a process of inquiry, and I hardly think you can be faulted for that. How would we ever learn if we aren't open to new ideas? I do hope, however, that your history instructor intends (intended?) this to be an opportunity teach critical thinking skills.

-j

One should have an open mind -- but not so open that one's brain falls out.

Lee L

Supporting Actor
Well, the fact that pi appears to have been used in the pyramids can be easily explained by the fact that they Egyptians used a ciruclar wheel to make their measurements. This part needs to be 100 turns, this part 60, this part 50 and so on. It is the same as using a ruler, just bent into a circle.

They levelled the bases using water in pools or along man made canals to each corner. Using water is a very accurate way to measure level over a long distance and is still used in construction today for many things that lasers cannot do (like shoot around a corner without having multiple set ups).

The accuarcy of the corners is no big feat and could easily be acheived today with a string line a few minutes of calculation.

I am not sure what they could have used to move the stones but a simple skid dragged by hundereds or thousands of people can move quite a lot.

Yes, the Egyptians did seem to understand the alignment of stars and the like and were generaaly more advanced than is easy to beleive but they did not have to have help from aliens to build the pyramids.

As far as building them today there is no reason that could not be done. Would it be a big job, sure but so was the Hoover dam.

There are many cranes in your average city that can lift 100 tons. Your typical 3 axle road driveable crane can acheive this feat, take about an hour or 2 to set up and can do many lifts each hour. There are movable cranes that can lift 1000 tons but they require maybe a day to set but can do several lifts an hour depending of course on how high the lift is. Stationary tower cranes that are set up on a large construction site can go much higher and heavier if need be.

With modern surveying equipment the layout would be easy and quick and would just be a matter of stacking blocks up like Legos.

Danny R

Supporting Actor
It has has been said that the stone blocks used for building Pyramids were moved on rollers. But the Egyptiands could scarecly have felled and turned into rollers, the few trees mainly date palms, that then grew in Egypt ... Did the Egyptians import wood? In order to import wood, there must have been sizeable fleet, and even transported up the nile to cairo. Since the Egyptians did not have horses and carts at the time of the building of the great pyramid, there was no other possibility.
Last I checked Egypt had a river running through it called the Nile, and there are plenty of forests upstream. The interesting thing about wood is that it floats. No fleet needed.
For the pyramid not only devides the continents and oceans into 2 equal halves; it also lies at the center of gravity of the continents.
You might want to take a look here for lots of refutations to this guys claims.

Ralph Summa

Supporting Actor
WHO DID THAT? Get me an administrator!:D
Jay - I'm not sure if I saw that particular special. I've seen quite a few specials recently on this topic and they all kind of blended together. One that sticks out showed a passage that led out of a burial chamber and exited the pyramid in perfect line with the star Betelgeuse in Orion. Cool stuff.
Here's the site I found showing that Von Daniken was full of it.
Ralph

Rob FM

Second Unit
Real Name
R
I think the "rollers" that you are referring to are from HUGE trees that *were* the ancient forest of Lebanon.

They had whopper Cedars, really big.

On my trip there in '98 (right after the attack on the German tour) we got to go inside 2 of the 3 big ones. Not a mark in 'em. Everything else in the country had been marked up up with Hieroglyphs. Not the pyramids.

Funny thing, we went there mostly because of the Pyramids -but they turned out to blend in with the rest of the trip, so much more to see there. The Oblisks were very impressive.

~Rob

p.s. There are over 90 Pyramids in Egypt.

AaronMg

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the responses people.

This essay was just one of many papers in a package. I skimmed through it quickly and thought there were a few interesting points.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
What really annoys me about the fraud Von Daniken and his misguided readers is that assigning extraterrestrial assistance to the ancient Egyptians does a major disservice to humankind's own genius. Good golly grief, but I thought the Von Daniken nonsense had been interred in the crypt of useless pop-culture history decades ago.

No one in the scientific community, and I mean no one, takes his stupid books seriously.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Everyone knows that the Egyptians used old women to put grease and tallow under the blocks to make them slide more easily. Didn't you ever see [rant]The Ten Commandments[/rant] ?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks