What's new

New Zoo Revue?!?! Horrors!! (1 Viewer)

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
The Digital Bits is reporting that The New Zoo Revue is coming to DVD later this month. Does anyone else besides me remember this show? Auugghh! I hadn't even had a passing thought about Freddie the Frog and Henrietta the Hippo in over twenty years and now that I read this article I can't get the crappy theme song out of my head.
"It's the New Zoo Revue..coming right at you!"
Someone please put me out of my misery. :eek:
Link Removed

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
This was pretty bad and I wondered who would buy this too. I can understand Sid and Marty Kroft on DVD. They have a cool and campy thing going for them but New Zoo Revue....

John Geelan

Screenwriter
I also remember watching it. It was a pretty bad show. Doubt it would be a big seller.

That hippo is the one that always got me...sheesh!

Enrique B Chamorro

Supporting Actor
You could use the lethal
"The World Of Sid And Marty Krofft" 3 DVD set.
DVD 1
H.R. Pufnstuf: Book, Flute & Candle
Lidsville: Take Me To Your Rabbit
Sigmund & The Sea Monsters: Trick or Treat
DVD 2
Land of the Lost: Skylons
Far Out Space Nuts: Birds of a Feather
The Lost Saucer: Return to the Valley of The Chickaphants
ElectraWoman And Dynagirl: The Pharaoh
DVD 3
Dr. Shrinker: Slowly I Turn
Wonderbug: Maltese Gooneybird
Magic Mongo: Huli's Vacation
Bigfoot and Wildboy: Return of the Vampire
Pryor's Place: Voyage to the Planet of the Dumb
That set should leave you numb!:D
Part of my "id" remembers a lady host in a miniskirt
and white high boots? Did it happen or is my memory
playing tricks on me??

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
I remember "New Zoo Revue" as a kid and I could never look at it again in the same light after seeing the infamous outtake from a blooper reel where Freddie and Charlie both let loose with some very X-rated shtick.

Chuck Woolery, the future game show host, was actually a regular on that show as the old mailman.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
THE NEW ZOO REVUE was truly a sneak preview of Hell --real nightmare fuel-- and I would no sooner buy it on DVD than I would drive a railroad spike through my tongue and dunk it in lemon juice.
That being said, "Emmy Jo" was hot! :D :emoji_thumbsup:

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
Oh dear god.......

This is bizarre. Yes I remember this and it's STILL on TV in reruns. I caught it a few months ago and marveled that it was still going. I actually kind of liked it if only because of Charlie's cool treehouse and Freddie's lair under the gazebo. I kept bugging my dad to build me a treehouse with a brass birdcage elevator. Didn't happen though.... pfft. The songs however, were awful.

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
On further thought, you think the guys putting these DVDs together might slip in that crazy dirty outtake as an Easter Egg? :) It is just too unreal to describe (and not fit for a public forum).
As for the Sid and Marty Krofft set, I'll only buy a set that has all episodes of Electra Woman so I can have more of Diedre Hall in spandex. :)

Steven_J_H

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven
This show is still on my cable system as well. Couldn't believe my eyes, after all those years.........

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
The best laugh Ive had in the past 5 years was standing in line at a local Price Chopper. Looking around I spotted a Sigmund The Sea Monster VHS tape on the rack with a picture of Sweet Mama on it. I was hysterical, I couldnt stop laughing, the people there started laughing because I couldnt stop.
New Zoo Review was replayed on TV recently I dont remember where I saw it - I remember it clearly from the old days. It was pretty bad.
How about The Magic Garden, Zoom! and Electric Company :D

Enrique B Chamorro

Supporting Actor
Did a web search and found out the Doug (Douglas Momary)
and Emmy Jo (Emily Peden) got married in real life and
have been together for 30 years!
:emoji_thumbsup:
They run a commercial and industrial production company
in Las Vegas.
Sounds like Emmy Jo found a prince in Doug rather than
Freddie the Frog.:)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Jesus! All memories of that show were completly erased from my brain until I saw the header for this thread! Thanks so much! ;)
I used to watch this all the time as a kid and actually liked it (hey, I was easy to entertain o.k.). I used to watch it along with Mister Rogers Neighborhood, Seseme Street, and The Electric Company.
Now though, not a chance! :)
BTW, what took place in those outtakes? I'm extremely curious. :D

Steven_J_H

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven
Had to check what channel it's on. In North Jersey it still airs on WMBC 63 out of Newton, NJ. Hard to believe.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
I had always thought of Barney as the epitome of evil. My memory must have been repressed by forces unseen.

For I dost realize that Henrietta Hippo is the hell-spawn, borne of the desire to warp the fragile, little minds of young skulls full of mush with her handkerchief and high-pitched voice.

LO! I have come to the conclusion that the hatching of Henrietta Hippo was to bring forth the coming of fluffy, evil children's characters! For it was written in the Book of Nasty Things that the Pink Beast would leave her mark through the spawning of the Purple Lizard and the Four-With-Images-In-Their-Stomachs and the enormous Yellow Canary, and thus the children's minds would be consumed as they were numbed.

So it was written. So it has come about.

(On a side note, I think I had too much caffeine this morning.)

BrianM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
I haven't seen this show in over twenty years so my memory may be garbled but didn't Doug bear an uncanny resemblance to Flanders from the Simpsons. I asked my wife (who loves all shows from her childhood) if she wanted me to get her this DVD when it came out and she said "No way, that show sucked". This coming from a woman who owns the HR Puffinstuff and Gumby DVD's and fondly remembers "ZOOM" as being hip.

Jeff Reis

Stunt Coordinator
Heh, I used to watch this one as a kid. It was pretty bad. But when I see all the other moldy old TV stuff that people are pining for on DVD, I don't see any reason this shouldn't be released for those who might want it. Personally I'd rather see every episode of New Zoo Revue on DVD than 5 minutes of Married With Children. But I'm crazy like that. :)

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
I can't look at the hippo from New Zoo Revue without thinking about Peter Jackson's "Meet the Feebles". Anyone else have this problem?

-Lyle J.P.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks