Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Alias 10/6/02

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 of 18 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,888 posts

Posted October 06 2002 - 04:10 PM

The development of Sydney's relationship with her mom will be a tricky one.

I think Syd's mom is totally setting Sydney up with a larger plan in mind, such as using Syd and company to take down the Alliance for her.

The mom did a wonderful job of planting so many seeds of doubt in Syd, and has pulled the eyes over the FBI dude, Kendal.

Jack is right in telling Vaughn not to trust the mom. That wry smile at the end of the episode was spooky as hell. She's definitely up to no good. She's even using Syd's streak of independence as leverage to position Syd in the right place later on. The mom is a total playa.

Oh, Weiss survived!

"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#2 of 18 ONLINE   DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 14,291 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted October 06 2002 - 04:27 PM

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Too tired to post anything substantive, but it was a good episode. I like the new plotline with Wil. And Syd's mom is creepy!

What of the Rumbaldi prophecy about Syd's mom (presumably) being the key to armageddon?

#3 of 18 ONLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,542 posts

Posted October 06 2002 - 06:20 PM

Patrick-Hmmm, my impression at the end:

The Mom's little wry smile was one of pride of her daughter and not what you suggest. But I like your interpretation better. I guess I'm the gullible type!

By the way, one thing I've noticed and I'm not sure anyone mentioned this. I noticed that this year, the print ads and promos on ABC for Alias all show Syd holding a gun. And in the premier episode this year, she fired a gun. As I recall from the first year, she never used a gun, she always fought hand to hand. The only time I recall her using a gun in the first year was very early on in the year. She used an Uzzi when SD-6 tried to kidnap her when they thought she was a double agent and her Dad helped her get away. I thought that was a nice touch that she could defeat her would-be captors without the need for a gun.

#4 of 18 OFFLINE   John_VI

John_VI

Second Unit

• 269 posts

Posted October 07 2002 - 02:56 AM

Question. Why use "spoilers" once the episode has already aired? I know everyone may not have seen the episode yet, but this is a serial on television. If you see next week's episode you can [almost] catch up.

Anyway, I really liked this episode. I didn't believe Elena's (that's the mom's name, right?) warning about the fire extinguisher. The fact that a safe alarm DID go off doesn't prove that the fire alarm would have disabled it. And is she a stone-cold-b**ch or what!! I think they've set up the season beautifully, at least so far.

So Will meets Vaughn next week. How the hell did THAT happen? Where is it that they meet? What set of circumstances put them in the same elevator?

And I don't think we've seen the last of Emily and her alleged death at the hands of her husband.

I look forward to this show more than the Sopranos! The suspense is much greater and the story line is much more exciting.

"'Xcuse me while I whip this out!"
- Sheriff Bart

(__VI______________]]]]~~~~~

#5 of 18 OFFLINE   Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter

• 1,346 posts

Posted October 07 2002 - 04:34 AM

What's with the SD-6 tech guy's fingernails? It certainly wasn't an accident that we saw how long they were in that close-up. Any ideas?
Read my reviews at www.dvdmon.com
My blog: Reel Times: Reflections on Cinema

#6 of 18 OFFLINE   Micheal

Micheal

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted October 07 2002 - 04:37 AM

The smile:
My wife and I thought it was admiration for her daughter standing up to her. We're both saps though. Posted Image

BLAM!
Good... bad... I'm the guy with the gun.

#7 of 18 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,888 posts

Posted October 07 2002 - 04:58 AM

My personal policy on spoilers for TV shows is that if I post comments before the show has finished airing on the west coast, I put them in spoilers. The next day, if I remember, I'll remove the spoilers. I do this in consideration of our west coast brethren.

I think Syd's mom thinks she has Syd exactly where she wants Syd (mental state of mind). Sure, as a super-spy and power broker, the mom enjoys seeing how ruthless Syd can become, and how strong she presents herself, but that can also be used against her later.

I almost think that this "setup" is her mom trying to recruit Syd down the road. And by letting herself be captured, she can be near her and can evaluate her potential in person.

#8 of 18 OFFLINE   Dave Morton

Dave Morton

Supporting Actor

• 754 posts

Posted October 07 2002 - 05:29 AM

Patrick,

I think you've hit the nail on the head. I'm sure Syd's mom can leave the "prison" of the CIA anytime she wants. How did she know that Sydney did not pull the fire alarm? Did Syd say so? I may have missed it. If not, then clearly she is getting information from somewhere.

I agree about wanting to see this show over the sopranos. Maybe because the sopranos is re-played all week long.
------ Dave ------
------------------
MY HT

New Family Addition

#9 of 18 OFFLINE   Jim DiJoseph

Jim DiJoseph

Second Unit

• 271 posts

Posted October 07 2002 - 07:12 AM

Just another thought:

As for the little 'smile' at the end, the writers have so complicated Sydney's mother's character that it could mean: doom (her plan is working out perfectly), pride (in response to her daughter standing up to her), or simply that she is reminiscing (in that Syd reminds her of the agent she used to be). Great writing for a great show! Posted Image
Remember...no matter where you go, there you are.

#10 of 18 OFFLINE   David Williams

David Williams

Screenwriter

• 2,290 posts

Posted October 07 2002 - 09:49 AM

Quote:
How did she know that Sydney did not pull the fire alarm? Did Syd say so? I may have missed it. If not, then clearly she is getting information from somewhere.

It was more of a Mother's Intuition thing. Irina knew that Sydney wouldn't pull the handle because she wouldn't have pulled the handle. Like Mother, Like Daughter.

I wonder when the always cool Mr. Sark will show his hand? Since they added him (David Anders) to the main titles I assume we'll be seeing more Sark.
"Only two things are infinite––the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe." ––Albert Einstein

#11 of 18 OFFLINE   Vlad D

Vlad D

Screenwriter

• 1,078 posts

Posted October 07 2002 - 11:06 AM

I love this show. And yes, the writing is excellent. My take on the smile was also one of pride, but any of the other takes make just as much sense. Irina is definitely up to something and I think Patrick's take is correct.

I also look forward to this show more than the Sopranos.

#12 of 18 OFFLINE   Joseph S

Joseph S

Screenwriter

• 2,865 posts

Posted October 07 2002 - 12:14 PM

Quote:
How did she know that Sydney did not pull the fire alarm?

Probably because Syd had to go begging for the contents of the disk after the fact.

I'm still wondering where she hid that iPod she was running with. As soon as she entered the "jail" it was gone. Posted Image Dixon is either the dumbest CIA agent ever or a K-directorate member. Posted Image They did a pretty good job with the makeup last week and actually made Lena Olin look somewhat like Syd.

#13 of 18 OFFLINE   Lee Bombard

Lee Bombard

Stunt Coordinator

• 168 posts

Posted October 07 2002 - 03:52 PM

I watched my first episode last night. I liked what
I saw but must admit I'm pretty lost as to what and who everyone is. Anyone able to post a brief background on any of it?

Regards,
Lee

#14 of 18 OFFLINE   David Williams

David Williams

Screenwriter

• 2,290 posts

Posted October 07 2002 - 06:24 PM

Quote:
Anyone able to post a brief background on any of it?

I'll give it my best.

Sydney Bristow is a graduate student by day, secret agent by night. She thought she was working for the CIA, but in actuality she was working for an evil organization called SD-6 that deals in information, arms sales, etc. She doesn't find this out until she is engaged to be married and tells her fianceé, Danny, what she really does for a living and SD-6 Director, Arvin Sloane, has Danny killed. Once Syd learns the truth she cons SD-6 into believing she is still loyal while going to the real CIA to sign up as a double agent. While joining up, she also finds out her estranged father, Jack Bristow, whom she thought sold airplane parts, is really a double agent currently infiltrating SD-6. She is assigned to her handler, Michael Vaughn, whose father was killed by a Russian double agent named Irina Derevko.

Arvin Sloane, SD-6 Director, was recently made a full member of the Alliance, the group that runs the SD departments. He gained his seat by eliminating his cancer-stricken wife, Emily, who knew that his cover story (working for an international bank called Credit Dauphine) was just a cover story. Needless to say, he's a very bad man. Emily Sloane was Sydney's stand-in mother figure and was quite attached to her.

Back at the apartment, Syd's two best friends, the ever-clueless Francie Calfo and journalist Will Tippen carry on their everyday lives until Will becomes suspicious of Danny's death and decides to look into it. During the whole first season, Will's on-again, off-again researching into the shadowy organization that is SD-6 finally leads him to the uncomfortable truth about Sydney and Jack. Meanwhile, Francie's boyfriend cheats on her and she thinks of taking her catering operation to the next level by opening a restaurant.

The main focus during Season 1 was Milo Rambaldi, an obscure Renaissance philosopher/inventor (think Da Vinci crossed with Nostrodamus). He designed gadgets and gizmos 500 years ahead of his time and prophesised that a certain woman who bears a strong resemblance to Sydney would be responsible for armaggeddon. He also seems to have invented a way to incredibly prolong life, as it was strongly hinted that the clockmaker Sydney interviewed about the Rambaldi clock was the original best friend of Rambaldi and not a descendent.

The secondary focus of S1 was on The Man, the leader of a new evil organization muscling in on SD-6 interests. The plot line was introduced in the last third of Season 1, when Quentin Tarantino and gang broke into SD-6 looking for Rambaldi artifacts. The point man for The Man's organization is Mr. Sark, a cold-blooded englishman who gets what his employer wants. He answered to Alexander Khasinau, who was long thought to be The Man (and perished in episode 2.1). It turns out instead, that Khasinau was the right hand of The (Wo)Man, Irina Derevko, who was better known as Laura Bristow, Sydney's long-thought dead mother. Irina/Laura is also strongly believed to be the woman prophesised in the Rambaldi manuscript.

I think that makes for a brief recap of Season 1. Alias packs more plot in one hour than any other show I've ever seen!
"Only two things are infinite––the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe." ––Albert Einstein

#15 of 18 OFFLINE   Lee Bombard

Lee Bombard

Stunt Coordinator

• 168 posts

Posted October 08 2002 - 02:10 AM

WOW David! Thanks a lot. I'm hooked.

Regards,
Lee

#16 of 18 OFFLINE   Michael Martin

Michael Martin

Screenwriter

• 1,129 posts

Posted October 08 2002 - 04:44 AM

Anyone else think Lena Olin is incredibly attractive? That smile -- she may kill you when she's done with you, but by that time, you won't care! Posted Image
"You know, God has some really weird kids, and I find it hard to be in their company most of the time."
--Paul "Bono" Hewson

#17 of 18 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,888 posts

Posted October 08 2002 - 05:47 AM

Check out "Unbearable Lightness of Being" if you want to see Lena in a decent sized production (but the film is around 3 hours long) when she was a bit younger and oh so sensual.

#18 of 18 OFFLINE   Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter

• 1,099 posts

Posted October 08 2002 - 09:11 AM

I, also, thought the smile was a response to Syd's orders to her mother not to show pride, etc. I think mom said, "Yes, Agent Bristow", and then smiled, because she truly is proud of her daughter. She couldn't help it. I still don't trust her, but she is still Syd's mother. Maternal instincts are strong.

What a great show. My wife watched it with me on TIVO (for the first time), and once I explained the plot, she was hooked.
Randy T.
Orlando, FL
ºoº Home of The Mouse!!!

"Oh, come on, guys. It's so simple, maybe you need a refresher course. It's all ball bearings nowadays!"

Forum Nav Content I Follow