What's new

Reference Calibration with Large Speakers (1 Viewer)

Mike Sloan

Second Unit
All of these calibration DVD's seem to assume you have selected small with all speakers. Can you calibrate with the Front L/R set to large and all others small? The speakers that I have set to large are towers with built in subs. I know the THX gods say small...but I get the best results with fronts to large and sub out on receiver set to LFE+Main (which blends the LFE with Main low freq. at the sub.) In this configuration the receiver strips the LFE out of the mains and sends to sub. Should I set to small and calibrate and then set fronts to large? Any suggestions?

Mike Sloan

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If we don't know what your equipment is, or the specs at least, it is much more difficult to help you. What is the low end extension of the mains vs the sub? What is the x-over point, and is it adjustable or fixed on your receiver?

The calibration tone has zero to do with speaker size, and the tone will play at the same dB regardless of this setting. What comes out of the speakers will almost certainly be different between large and small settings, if it even works with them set to large.

Mike Sloan

Second Unit
The receiver is the Denon 5803. Speakers will go down to 20Hz(Front L&R towers with internal subs..CSW Newton T500's).Crossover is 80 hz.(fixed THX) in receiver. Sub is dual VTF-3,s. I can configure sub-out to send only the LFE to the VTF-3's. When you enable the sub in the set-up menu the LFE is removed from any speakers designated as large.

Again, all Calibration Discs start out by having you set all speakers to small. Is this because some receivers disable the sub-out with any speakers set to large? Mine does not. So if we are simply measuring SPL's...I would assume having the fronts set to large is no problem...just want to make sure I am not missing anything.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The disc does not tell you to set your speakers to small, it states that 80% of systems should be configured this way, and recommends doing this. Your system seems to fall in the 20% category. :D (very nice :) ) I would set the mains to large, and send LFE only to the VTF-3s.
Is this because some receivers disable the sub-out with any speakers set to large? Mine does not
Yes and no, most recent receivers can have the mains set to large and still have the sub as well. You are correct that some older receivers did not allow this. What the disc is getting at however, is that more people have main speakers that are not really capable of performing anywhere near 20Hz, as yours are, so in most cases, the small setting is the way to go.
You shouldn't be missing anything. Sounds like it will be a nice setup.

Zbigniew

Stunt Coordinator
Mike,

your receiver allows you to configure crossover at different frequencies - from 40 to 120.

You will need lot of patience, but you can set it nicely.

1) You can run fronts as large, and still define sw, and decide with 5803 how you want to direct low frequencies.

2) you may want to asquire either a test CD with variety of low end tones, or use a sample tone generator 9there are plenty available on the web);

3) do a search on BFD and read how folks do fine tuning of LFE/bass to get a flat response fom different setups.

Good luck,

_zjt

Cliff

Stunt Coordinator
Mike,

As I recall, the Video Essentials disc allows you to calibrate with speakers set to "large". This is because it includes the LFE tone on the separate LFE track, instead of rolling the LFE into the speaker tones like AVIA does.

Cliff

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
S&V HTT disc does have a separate section for setting sub volume level, phase and x-over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks