What's new

Anyone ever find a "surprise" DD 5.1 soundtrack on a LaserDisc? (1 Viewer)

Todd Hostettler

Second Unit
So I pop in my LD of Beavis & Butt-Head Do America last night, having last watched it long before I upgraded my LD player. My old machine only passed Pro-Logic, while the new one is able to send a Dolby Digital signal to my Denon DD decoder.
I was quite surprised to see all 6 indicator lights go off when I hit "Play."
I immediately looked at the sleeve, and no where was an AC-3 track listed. But there was one! A pretty darn nice sounding one, too.
Anyone else have a similar experience?

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
I too was surprised many moons ago by "Beavis and Butthead" when I rented it. But that's the only one that ever did it, and I've since upgraded my receiver to one with more bells and whistles but no built in RF Demodulator and I'm too cheap to pony up for an outboard one.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Hmm, so Beavis & Butthead is still the only LD that had an unlabeled AC3 track? I heard about this only because I complained about it apparently not having one but priced at $39.95, when someone told me it in fact did. I finally got it for $14.99 when Tower was clearing out the LDs. Usually if I see CX Noise Reduction indicated on the cover, that means there's no AC3.
Strangely, Paramount's last LD releases didn't have AC3 on them. The only thing I can think of is they wanted to make them playable (in stereo) on the older machines that only had analog sound?

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
The only thing I can think of is they wanted to make them playable (in stereo) on the older machines that only had analog sound?
If they felt that way then they never would have made any AC-3 laserdiscs at all. No reason for them to have changed their thinking toward the end. But it makes sense that as they started to get out of the laserdisc business they would cut back on the features.

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
Same here for B&B. I checked the IMDB, it said the ld had an AC3 track. So I get it really cheap off of eBay, check the sleeve - and no mention of an AC3 track. I felt gutted. Then, when going through the audio channels I noticed there was no analogue right channel. So I fired up my demodulator and woo-hoo! AC3 soundtrack. The Home Theatre Gods work in mysterious ways...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks