What's new

***Official 3rd Annual HTF October Scary Movie Challenge*** (1 Viewer)

Mitty

Supporting Actor
It's October again. Didn't we just do this?

Those of you who remember, each of the last two years have seen me challenge willing HTF members to watch 13 scary movies in the month of October to celebrate Halloween.

What's the point? There isn't one, other to enjoy yourself, burn through some unseen discs, and catch a couple of genre films you've never seen. Last year, for instance, I caught the mind blowing Wicker Man for the first time and managed to rip through all of those Universal monster movie double features.

Here are the rules, reposted from last year's thread , amazingly, still in existence:

Quote:

Now, if you wanna join in, the rules are simple:

1. Watch 13 Scary/Horror/Halloween-Themed films before midnight on October 31, 2001 (on a case by case basis, I may give special dispensation to extend the deadline until dawn on November 1st ).

2. Two of the above must be new discoveries, movies you've never seen before. The point of this is to see those few movies you've always meant to see, but never got around to. I recommend more than 2, but 2 is the minimum to pat yourself on the head and say you completed the challenge.

3. If you were part of the challenge last year, no more than two of the same films can be RE-watched. I'll grant a couple since some movies (ie. Halloween, Rocky Horror) are simply tradition and I'm willing to give credit for these.

4. Come here and talk about 'em.

Simple, yes?

Of course, the new date is October 31, 2002.

A couple of new caveats.

5. There is an uber-category, the Ultimate Splatter Challenge for those who wish to put all of the rest of us to shame. This is the heavyweight division. These people, if they choose to accept the challenge, must view 31 horror/scary/halloween themed movies before dawn on Nov. 1st. The rest of us will bow down in awed reverence to these truly "Splatterific" HTF members. The bragging rights will be awesome and long lived. :)

6. There has been discussion over the past two years as to what movies qualify. Is Silence of the Lambs a horror movie? Does The Nightmare Before Christmas count? From now on, if you wanna include it, go for it. There will be no hairsplitting. If The Wizard of Oz send you to the dresser for a fresh pair of boxer shorts, all the power.

Takers? Anyone wanna take on the Ultimate Splatter Challenge?

Peter M. Fitzgerald kick ALL of our asses last year (the inspiration for the "U.S.C."), so I hope he'll join in again.
__________________________________________________ __________

My Tally So Far (with ratings out of :star::star::star::star: )

Previously Unseen

1. Near Dark - :star::star::star:
2. Frailty - :star::star::star:
htf_images_smilies_half.gif

3. Red Dragon - :star::star::star:
4. The Innocents - :star::star::star::star:
5. Brotherhood of the Wolf - :star::star:

6. Abbott & Costello Meet the Mummy - :star::star:

7. Don't Look Now - :star::star::star::star:
8. I Walked With a Zombie - :star::star::star:
9. Revenge of the Creature - :star::star::star:
10. The Creature Walks Among Us - :star::star::star:
11. The Ring - :star::star::star:
12. The Thing From Another World (1951) - :star::star::star:
13. It! The Terror from Beyond Space (1958) - :star::star:

Revisited:

1. Evil Dead - :star::star::star:

2. The Dead Zone - :star::star::star:

3. Wolfen - :star::star::star:

Total: 16

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Cool! This is in every way my type of contest! I'm more than willing to take on the Ultimate Splatter Challenge! I watch a ton of horror (the greatest genre) films as it is, so I could definitely handle this! I'm in! :)

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Cripes, I can't keep up with this crap Mitty. You're killing me. :)
My 2 new ones are already on deck - The Ring, and Nosferatu during its theatrical run (both in a couple of weeks from now).
The rest will probably be mostly the traditionals, but I'll try to mix it up. I can't remember which ones I applied last year so I will have to check that.
Halloween and The Thing go without saying 100% every year. Probably Frankenstein and Bride of as well. Those are traditionals for me (and Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown :) ).

Mitty

Supporting Actor
I know I can't personally handle the USC. Too much for me, what with post season baseball, Thanksgiving (yes, it's in October in Canada), etc.
But The Ring is an objective (nice to throw in a theatrical viewing). I also bought The Thing recently (the new videogame inspired me), and have been waiting to watch it. Don't Look Now, Brotherhood of the Wolf, Frailty and Wolfen also all on deck as unwatched DVDs.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Hey, just to let ya know, I'll be seeing THE RING in the theater about 20 times! No, I'm not kidding. I will see it at least 20 times at the theater, probably more.
Thats just one film, and yet I still accept the Ultimate Splatter Challenge, because believe me, its the type of challenge I was born for! :)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
A. I love the idea. I'm in!
B. D'oh! Just last week, I watched F13 Pt. 7, F13 Pt. 8, and The Pool!
C. Do we announce our choices, or just come back when we've seen new ones?

Mitty

Supporting Actor
C. Do we announce our choices, or just come back when we've seen new ones?
Just chime in with what you've seen when you've seen it. You don't need to wear your critic's pants either, Mr. Weinberg. :)
I just sort of announced what I plan on seeing. A gameplan/agenda of sorts. Just thought of Red Dragon as well.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I was so excited to get started, I popped in From Hell. (Haven't seen it since the theatrical run.)
I won't be needing my critic's pants at all here. I'm just a fellow horror freak! OK, it DOES help me a little, since I have a stack of review discs here and a few of them read:
The Initiation
Office Killer
Wolfen
Premutos: Lord of the Living Dead (I watched this one last week, but friends are coming over to check it out!)
...and one I'll be watching tomorrow night: The Devil's Backbone! (Haven't seen it yet!)
Vivé le horror!

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
It will be harder this year because my Netflix account has been suspended but I'll give it a go.
I'll be watching at least 4 I've never seen - Inferno, The Vij, The Golem, Waxworks

Mitty

Supporting Actor
...and, I just remembered, my 2 disc SE of Near Dark, which I purchased sight unseen and as of yet haven't gotten to.
Finding movies to watch isn't going to be so hard this year methinks.
Unseen:
  • Don't Look Now
  • Brotherhood of the Wolf
  • Frailty
  • Near Dark
  • The Ring (obviously)
  • Red Dragon (again, obviously)
Add The Thing, The Fog (both newly acquired discs, unwatched), the Evil Dead: Book of the Dead still unwatched. I got it made in the shade, blade. Oh yeah, Blade II!!!

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Mitty,
You got some prime choices there, man! I just got done with From Hell. Not a great movie, but one I really like. It's just so unremittingly GRIM. But before you mistake me for someone creepy...I'm watching Toy Story right now. Honest.
I'm looking forward to your opinions on every title in your Unseen List. I missed the Red Dragon screening, so I'll be seeing it on Friday I hope.
Uni-directional bonding strip...hee hee!

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
OK, 30 minutes of Toy Story was enough to wash away the grimy Victorian gore of From Hell. I just threw in The Initiation, a slasher flick I saw maybe 15 years ago - though there's a chance I'm mistaking this one for another one I remember called One Dark Night.
I was looking through my Personal Collection (which is NEVER integrated with my review DVDs), and - in the spirit of the season - I thought I'd share my horror DVD collection with ya. It's not massive, but I love it:
Alien
Aliens
An American Werewolf in London
The Blair Witch Project
The Evil Dead
Evil Dead 2
The Fog
Friday the 13th
From Dusk Till Dawn
From Hell
Halloween
Hellraiser
Jaws
Near Dark
A Nightmare on Elm Street
The Omen
Seven
The Silence of the Lambs
The Thing
And some that are half-horror or sorta horror:
Gremlins
Jurassic Park
Killer Klowns from Outer Space
Little Shop of Horrors
Wow. Come to think of it...my collection's pretty sparse for such a rabid horror fan. :frowning:
I predict that this thread will force me to purchase a few DVDs I've had my eye on. :) (ROTLD, here I come!)

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor
I'd probably join in as well, last year the challenge kind of passed me by, but I'll try harder this year.

Too bad I didn't think of it before though, I've already seen Frailty, Wolfen, Near dark, Them as the recent most obvious choices, but I'll find some new I think.

I have Don't look now on order already, and I'll definitively try to order the original The ring and The devil's backbone, two movies I've been meaning to watch for quite a while. Another Japanese horror, The eye, I have also heard many good things about.

Signs is still in theatres over here, and I haven't seen that either, been meaning to wait for the DVD. I think I'll take this as an opportunity to see it in theaters anyway...

Walt Riarson

Supporting Actor
Walt graciously accepts the Ultimate Splatter Challenge.
After much deliberation, here are my 31, I will update them in bold as I view them (the ones marked "ND" are New Discoveries I will be watching for the first time)...
1. The Dead Zone (ND)
2. The Oblong Box (ND)
3. Scream and Scream Again (ND)
4. Deranged (ND)
5. Motel Hell (ND)
6. Jason X
7. Jason Goes to Hell
8. Masque of the Red Death
9. The Premature Burial (ND)
10. Shock Waves (ND)
11. The Initiation
12. Hell Night
13. Suspiria
14. In the Mouth of Madness
15. A Nightmare on Elm Street
16. Audition (ND)
17. Donnie Darko (ND)
18. Tenebre
19. The Evil Dead
20. Sleepy Hollow
21. Carnival of Souls
22. Madman
23. Night of the Living Dead
24. The Omen
25. Maximum Overdrive
26. The Exorcist
27. The Blair Witch Project
28. Christine
29. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (tradition)
30. Halloween (tradition)
31. Black Christmas (tradition)

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
I'm in this year, even though Halloween is not recognised over here :). I don't have the time to watch 31 Horror films throughout the month but i'm in for 13. I'll try to come up with a list a bit later.

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
I'm in on the 13 challenge.
I know these need viewing.
-Jason X (Never seen)
-Dracula *spanish* (never seen)
-Curse of the Demon (never seen)
-Motel Hell (Have not seen in ages)
-Bedlam (never seen)
-Curse of the Cat People
-Body Snatcher (40's)
-Isle of the Dead (never seen)
Watched
-Oblong Box :star::star::star:1/2 (of five)
-Scream and Scream Again :star::star:
-Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (30's) :star::star::star::star:
-Attic, The :star:1/2
-Crawl Space :star::star::star:1/2
-Deranged :star::star:1/2
-Evil Dead :star::star::star::star:
-Ghost Ship ('43) :star::star::star:1/2
-The Seventh Victim :star::star::star:1/2
-Cat People (40's) :star::star::star::star:1/2
-Leopard Man :star::star::star:1/2

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Count me in, but time will not allow for 31. I’ll have to be satisfied with the lesser horror.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
I'm in.
Just saw Leslie Stevens' Incubus last night. This is the "legendary" film shot entirely in the language of Esperanto. Many have compared it to an "Outer Limits" episode, being that many of OL's creative team worked on it, but it just falls flat. The Esperanto gimmick must have seemed like a good idea at the time to make it a "universal" picture, but it's distracting. William Shatner's performance is as good as can be expected, but, even in a foreign tongue, he reverts to his "leading man" persona at times - not a good thing. The photography and music are very good, at times striking, but even at only 75 minutes, the movie is a good 40 minutes too long. No scares, no surprises. This one is for completists only.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks