What's new

An idea for Gameshow DVD's? (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
After watching a few Gameshows the other day, something caught my intrest. There has to be tons of behind the scenes material for this stuff. Some of it for Hollywood Squares winds up in the end credits, so they must follow the stars around the set and record just about everything. And shows like Price is Right have Bob talking to the audience, or things that get cut out due to time concerns.

Since I doubt Seasonal sets of these shows would sell to anyone but loyal game enthusiasts, why not go this route. Have the first ten or so episodes of a shows first season released, and include some of this stuff as bonuses. If that set sells well, continue on at that pace.

There's also other stuff that could work as bonus matieral, like a tour of the set, showing every nook and cranny of the behind the scenes operation. 'A Day in the life of the audience', showing how the crew prepares for that large of a crowd, and what the audience members go through before getting into the stage doors..

Could something like this work?

John Gates

Second Unit
Cool idea, Neil.

I occasionally have some fun watching very old gameshow re-runs like the price is right or lets make a deal. It's fun. Another idea might be to include a computer-playable game on the DVD. :)

I like your ideas for the extras. I've always wondered what it would be like to be in the "studio audience" and how players are really selected.

John G

Scott Temple

Supporting Actor
YES! I've been watching/taping game shows for years. In fact, Game Show Network is on of my most favorite channels. I would *LOVE* to have "Family Feud" (with Ray Combs, CBS & syndicated, 1988-1994), "Card Sharks" (with Bob Eubanks, CBS, 1986-1989 and with Bill Rafferty, syndicated, 1986-1987), "The Price Is Right" (any CBS/syndicated episodes since 1972 with Bob Barker, Dennis James, Tom Kennedy, and Doug Davidson), and "Match Game" (with Gene Rayburn, CBS & syndicated, 1973-1982 and with Ross Shafer, ABC, 1990-1991.)

The problem is that most game shows aired five days/nights a week. Those would be some BIG season sets!

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
If they would do something with Match Game, I would definitely buy it. I loved it as a kid, and it's been my favorite program on Game Show Network since we got it--even though it is edited. I'd love to have complete episodes and behind the scenes stuff for it. A group interview with the reunited staples (Brett Somers, Charles Nelson Riley, Richard Dawson, Fannie Flagg and Betty White) would be great.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
Yeah, but the legal clearances would likely go through the roof. There's the contestants, the stars, the music -- that's why NAME THAT TUNE reruns are still significantly absent from reruns on cable.
However, if anyone is considering Game Shows on DVD, I gotta put in my two cents for BEAT THE GEEKS! :D

Paul D G

Screenwriter
The only game show I can see fesably considered for release is The Gong Show. I think the cultish quality the show has would make it a decent seller. I just can't imagine a box set of $10,000 Pyramid on the shelf.

Not to diss game shows, tho! I rather enjoy watching Let's Make A Deal and Match Game on Game Show Network. Even my wife who hated that I watched 30 year old game shows has started enjoying them. I just wish they'd air more of the original black and white episodes of Beat the Clock (or even the color version from the 70s I watched as a kid, or Truth or Consequences!). I enjoy watching the people from that time. It's like another world.

-paul

Steven_J_H

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven
Classic Hollywood Squares (with all of the un-Politically Correct jokes). I've heard that so many of the episodes can't air for that very reason, so put them on dvd.;)

Jodee

Screenwriter
I'd like to see old Newlywed Games with little "Pop-ups" telling us when the couples got divorced or if they are still married. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks