What's new

Any idea if "DALLAS" will come to DVD? (1 Viewer)

Todd_Brown

Second Unit
I was watching E! True Hollywood Story about Dallas, and was wondering if anyone knew if this was going to come to DVD? This would be a definite buy for me (showing my age a bit:)).
Todd

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I haven't heard anything one way or the other.
In fact, I wonder if the studio that owns the rights to this perceives whether there would be enough interest in this, given the soap-opera nature of the show. OTOH, the "soap opera" Dark Shadows seems to be doing well enough on DVD. It's just into it's 2nd release, and a 3rd one's planned for end of next month! Each release is 4 discs to keep up with this daily supernatural soap. Now THAT's the way to do things! :emoji_thumbsup:
As for Dallas, I wonder who DOES own the rights to that one these days? Lorimar worked with Warner back then, and CBS distributed and aired it, right? So the CBS connection would mean Paramount. But I seem to recall hearing that Universal owned Lorimar stuff now...is that right?
Well, TVShowsOnDVD says "Warner", but we've been wrong before. Anyone know for sure? I'm kinda foggy after a long day spent at the Mid-South Fair. Won my son 3 big prizes, though! :wink:

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit
Warner owns "Dallas." They bought Lorimar in 1989, and they now own the rights to "Dallas," "Knots Landing," "Falcon Crest," "The Waltons," and the various other Lorimar shows.

Jenna

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeanette Howard
Jeez...didn't Dallas run for like 8-9 seasons??? The cost of the entire series would definitely "break the bank"...but then again, my "bank's been broken before" (and yes, I bought "Dark Shadows". :b
I'd buy Dallas in a heartbeat. Might as well throw in "Dynasty" too, eh? [Well, at least we can fast forward through that Muldavia crappy storyline!]

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I think most people would stop buying Dallas after the "Who Shot JR?" storyline was resolved. Maybe some folks would buy the season that starts off with Bobby in the shower, just for the schlock value of it. "It was all a dream"! :laugh:
I know *I* had stopped watching long before then. I'd get the first few seasons, though...even though the suspense would be gone.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
My wife would love "Knots Landing" which ran for like 13 or 14 seasons. It is the only show she has ever taped and kept.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
I think most people would stop buying Dallas after the "Who Shot JR?" storyline was resolved.
You might be correct about that.
Still, for whatever reason I cannot quite single out, there's just "something" about the "Dallas" TV series that (in my own view) makes it a highly-rewatchable program. I could see episodes time and again. Don't know why. Maybe it's the constant
"J.R.-isms" that break me up on each show. Some are hysterical. :)
Anyway, I'd love to upgrade to DVD for the Dallas series.
I wonder, if season sets are someday forthcoming, if a "Mini Season 1" set will be produced, since Season 1 was actually just a 5-episode CBS spring
replacement (April 2-April 30, 1978). There were 24 episodes in Season 2
and 24 in Season 3. They'd probably combine Seasons 1 & 2 (29-Ep. set).
The Columbia House VHS Collection includes 30 Tapes (60 Episodes), spanning from the premiere, "Digger's Daughter", through December 12, 1980 (3 episodes past "Who Shot J.R.").
"Dallas" -- 357 Episodes -- April 1978-May 1991.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
My God! A year-old thread! :eek:
Y'know, the 10/1 issue of Daily Variety had a picture of J.R. Ewing on page 19 to illustrate an article about pop culture of the 80's/90's. Due to my screwed up mail delivery of the mag, I just got this issue yesterday and was flipping through. Imagine my surprise when I saw a pic of J.R.! I read quickly, hoping it was word about DVDs, but was disappointed when I saw it was just making a point about TV show ratings "then vs. now".
Since this thread fell off the front page of the board a loooong time ago, I've heard whispers and rumors that Dallas was seriously being considered. However, nothing so solid as to be newsworthy, in my mind. I'm optimistic, though, especially since some sort of a remake is being considered. I get the feeling we'll hear something along these lines in 2004. No proof, just a gut feeling. I've been wrong before, though.

Chuck L

Screenwriter
Maybe with the forthcoming feature film version of Dallas in the works, there is hope for the series as well to arrive on DVD.

As for myself, was never a big fan of the show...now "Knots" on the other hand...I have all 14 years of it on VHS and would gladly update what I have to DVD.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
I've heard whispers and rumors that Dallas was seriously being considered. ... I get the feeling we'll hear something along these lines in 2004. ... just a gut feeling.
Thanks, Big D.
I hope your "gut" is accurate. :)
I renewed this thread because I pulled out one of my Col. House Dallas tapes recently, and the "I want Dallas on DVD" fever struck once more.
I'm pretty certain there are some "behind-the-scenes" materials available for any potential DVD release too. I definitely recall seeing some behind-the-camera footage of the then-just-filmed "Who Shot J.R." ep. in the summer of 1980. It might have been on an "Entertainment Tonight" type of magazine program; can't recall. But somebody with a camera was filming the alternate takes of J.R. crumpling to the floor in the hallway of the Ewing offices after being plugged by the as-yet-undetermined assailant. Interesting footage too, as I recall.
Several actor commentaries could also be included on the DVDs. Perhaps Larry Hagman could answer a question I've been curious about: Was Dallas the first prime-time program to feature the word "slut" in its scripts? Sue Ellen and J.R. just loved that word on this program. :)
Anybody know if Dallas was done in Mono sound, or Stereo? That booming opening theme song would sure sound nice in full-fledged 5.1, do you not agree? :)
(Who penned that opening theme, BTW? Anybody know?)

John KB

Second Unit
I loved all seasons of Dallas. Including the last few. I would definitely buy all 13 seasons, but Ouch! That would be expensive.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
It is funny this thread is back. Like I said earlier my wife is a huge Knots fan. With all of the recent tv show on dvd releases she is hoping it gets announced. And everytime I bring home a new tv show on dvd she asks and asks.
C'mon Warner release the show. So my wife will stop asking me. ;)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
We SURELY won't see "Knot's Landing" until AFTER a Dallas release. (I wouldn't think so anyway. After all, Dallas spawned 'Knot's'.)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I was going to bring this up myself.

I've been following the show on SoapNet (I think they remastered the episodes, because they look pretty good), and I would definitely buy a DVD release.

But...

Some seasons have as many as 30 episodes. The show would definitely need to be on DVD-18s to keep the number of discs down and the price reasonable (didn't Warners do this for ER?).

Also, I believe there is a 3-hour prequel telefilm from 1986 that fills in the historical backstory.

Chuck L

Screenwriter
From David P:

We SURELY won't see "Knot's Landing" until AFTER a Dallas release. (I wouldn't think so anyway. After all, Dallas spawned 'Knot's'.)

While I understand your point, and while there were fans of both shows...my love affair for 'Knot's' is much stronger, as I am sure others, that while one might have been a spin-off, they couldn't be on more opposing ends of the spectrum. I don't see why one would make it to DVD before the other for this case alone.

I quess that only time will tell.

Haden

Supporting Actor
If they can release Cheers and its spinoff Frasier simultaneously, they can surely release Dallas and Knots Landing at the same time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks