What's new

The White Van Man had commeth (merged thread) (1 Viewer)

Gregory S

Stunt Coordinator
I never, ever thought it would happen to me! I read about it here and in Home Theater Magazine. I was refueling at a Mobile oasis on I-294, just outside of O'Hare airport when a white mini-van appeared out of no-where. "Hey, do you want a home theater" What? "Do you want a home theater, you know, surround sound." Nah, I already have one. "Get another one". No. And off he drove. When I was leaving I saw the van by the semi-trucks looking for their prey.

I was shocked! I wish I had more composure, I would have liked to have seen what they were pedalling. Probably better that I stayed away - I don't want to test my resistance against some brutal sales guys.

Greg

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
They sell prett crappy stuff. I forgot the brand my buddy got suckered into a while back, but they were REAL cheap on Ebay,lol.

I was approached a # of years ago as well and politely passed.
They show you a magazine with an ad claiming they retail for thousands of $$$$. It's all crap. If you spend time here, and are really into HT, it wont be very difficult for you to pass up!

Doug_B

Screenwriter
I was shocked! I wish I had more composure, I would have liked to have seen what they were pedalling. Probably better that I stayed away - I don't want to test my resistance against some brutal sales guys.
I wish I was in your shoes, as the only time I'm there refueling is on my way to dropping off my rental at the airport. No way I'm gonna bring speakers onto the plane :D . It is true though that my first inclination is to brush off these clowns.
Doug

Chris Carswell

Supporting Actor
Ahhhhh, I'm trying to forget that experience..............
My poor younger brother just got nailed by these A$$ Holes!!!
Orlando FL area-
I got a phone call from him about 11:00am on Friday. He sounded a little excited. He asked me if I heard of Digital Audio? I said no, why? He told me he just got some. They are a $1000 pair of speakers he said so happily. I got them for a killer price. What? Where did you get them I asked? He told me he was leaving the supermarket and they pulled up in a "white van" and then..........I stopped him mid sentence. Oh shit Tim, PLEASE tell me you didn't buy them, PLEASE!!! He told me he had to if he wanted them b/c the guys had to sell them before the boss got back into the office which is why they were such a good deal. Ok Tim, how much????? Well they were first $250 each then I got them down to...., HOW MUCH TIM??? $310 for the pair, was that a good deal Chris?
I almost started to cry. I felt so sorry for him, sick to my stomach. He so much wanted to impress me, his older brother, that he lost all sense of thought and totally got taken advantage of. I just showed him my new system I put together & he was so impressed. He wanted a HT setup as well but wanted to surprise me :frowning:
If I ever see a "White Van" someone better call the cops. Not for them but for me....It will be the only way to pull me from their throats :angry:

Thang_N.

Stunt Coordinator
I'm sorry to hear about your brother Chris,
I too got scammed while I was at a Gas station.
I bought the Digital Audio Pro speakers about 7 months ago before I ever was interesting in HOME THEATER.

I got ripped off more then your brother, i bought the subwoofer that came with surround sounds too. I'm too embarrased as to how much I paid and got suckered into it.

I paid less then 500, is all I'll say.

Those jerks even had the nerve to ask me for 20 more dollars for beer money since they hooked me up with a Great deal they said...

For anyone who doesn't already know, don't be a sucker!!!

If it's too good to be true, then it is.

I am now using these speakers for my home theater since I told em wife I won't get any new speakers until they are broken or somehthing. :b

I wish i found this forum before my VAN PURCHASE.....

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Greg,
It seems you got lucky in that I have heard stories of the white-van folk being very pushy, and even nasty at times.
Chris,
Did you give your brother's speakers a listen? ;) Seriously, I am sorry to hear that he got taken. Look at it this way. He learned a valuable lesson, even though it was painful. He will be more street smart for it. :)

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
I can't believe people are so Naieve! Do you leave your
house doors unlocked too??????

Here are some of the "White Van Scam" speaker brands that
now abound eBay since they can save putting miles on the
good ol white van.

Scam Speakers:

Ephihany
Paradyme
Acoustic
Dogg Digital
Digital Audio
Digital Audio Pro
Denmark
AudioPhyle

And the list goes on.. Same garbage different packaging..

Chris Carswell

Supporting Actor
QUOTE:
"I can't believe people are so Naieve! Do you leave your
house doors unlocked too??????"
That's nice, lets poor some more salt in those wounds......Is that how you feel or ??? :frowning: I think some people are just more trusting than others. They want to believe in people, think positive. They want to think they are getting a good deal. Why should someone lie to them? Maybe they just don't know how F'ed up some people really are is this cruel world. To some people this is very obvious. To others not quite as black and white. It's too bad Brett that everyone can't be as smart as you. Then no one would get taken advantage of. Oh BTY, you spelled naive wrong. It's "Naive" not "Naieve".
I do appreciate you putting that list of "scam speakers" out there so others can watch out in the future.

Chris Carswell

Supporting Actor
KeithH,
You are correct. He did learn a valuable lesson though it was painful and costly for him. He will learn from it.
I did go and listen to them. Total Crap!!! Bass was ok at best (side loaded 8") but I think that is b/c there was no mids at all (there were 3, 6.5" woofers even). No high-end range to speak of at all (there were 2 soft dome tweeters too).
They were very bad. Sounded like a def person designed the xovers.
P.S. sorry about the double post, I ment to re-edit the other one but just started typing & wasn't thinking. It's 5:50 AM & I just go home.....long night :D

Ned

Supporting Actor
Don't forget that any mall store that sells Nuance is basically a white van scam too.

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
Actually what amazes me is that this scam is being purported with the purpose and intent that the speakers are stolen due to inventory mismanagement. The people who whine and moan about this should ask themselves why pay this much for so called "stolen" goods. If a pawnshop gives 10% of market value and this is a legal form of trade then those who buy this speaker, if interested, or any item under similar condition should always deal with the perspective that one will never consider a payment over 10% of the items market value and use the part of negotiation of "why should you worry, you didn't pay for it also!". I would love to meet these type of sales individuals one day and make them jump thru some hoops myself as I always thought this would be fun.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Chris,
Sorry I was in error of my spelling on the word Naive my
mistake.
Yes I do feel this way, being a nice guy, a trusting a guy
will only get you taken advantage of and your heart ripped
out too!
I used to be a trusting nice guy but I am working hard to
change that! :)
Honestly I am sorry that your brother got scammed but you
have to ask yourself knowing the premise of these guys sales
pitch that you are asking for what you get because if thier
"story" was reality you would in fact be purchasing stolen
goods which is dare I say illegal?
If it sounds too good to be true, it always is..

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
We should set up a White Van Sting hotline. Phone the line and report the licence number.

Ellen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ellen
I see these "white van" threads here on HTF all of the time. I can't believe that people would actually buy something, speakers or anything else, from someone who drives up to them on the street. I can't believe it. Are people actually that.... I don't even know what word to use. All of the ones that come to mind would probably sound offensive. I am truly stunned.

Shawn Shultzaberger

Supporting Actor
Back in 1989 when I was stationed at Mare Island near San Francisco I was rolling down the highway and this white van pulled up next to me and yelled for me to pull over. I looked at him like he was nuts. He said he had some top of the line speakers to get rid of and wanted me to pull over so that he could show them. I said no and sped up just a bit. Here he comes and started yelling out prices. Instead of answering I slammed on the breaks and moved over behind him in one swift motion. They just kept on going.

That was my first and only time seeing those guys.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
I've never seen a white van selling stuff, the only time someone tried to sell me something was when this cute young girl tried to sell me cologne.
She had some on her arm and told me to smell it, I did and it was pretty good. :b I was sorta in a trance during the sale that took a couple minutes. She was pretty stubborn and I ended up not buying it ($40, brand I never heard of)
I tried to come up with excuses such as I don't have any cash, but she replied "I accept credit cards". At which point I said I'm poor and don't need cologne to smell good.
I dunno if that was a scam but I'd do it again. :)
What I should do is put my adire tempest and DIY av3 speakers in a van. Then I'll try and sell them for a $100 package and say "They perform like expensive speakers, I just need some quick cash for tuition". Then people will say "You A-hole, trying to scam me there's no such thing as a tempest I wouldn't pay $10 for that crap". :thumbsdown:
If I was rich I'd disguise high end DIY loudspeakers and amplification to look cheap and sell it through a "white van". It would be hilarious if a a buyer's friend says "You got scammed" and they go over to hear them and are blown away by the sound. -- "Wow, these are the best speakers I've ever heard in my life... now where did you see this van last?"

Chris Carswell

Supporting Actor
I'll tell you what Chris. I can be your 1st victem. I'll take your Tempest & AV-3's for $100 :D
BTW, how do you like your AV-'s? Beter than that JBL $^&$ (I mean stuff) I take it.....:emoji_thumbsup:

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
I can't believe this still goes on - I got hit up over 7 years ago on the streets on DC. The ironic thing was that at the time, I was actually waiting for my new speakers to arrice (Bose, yeah, I know.) A guy said "Hey, you need some speakers?" I had an Onkyo receiver sitting in my apartment w/ no speakers at the time - but I still resisted....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation625
Recent bookmarks