What's new

DVD player Recommendations Needed (1 Viewer)

Erwin

Stunt Coordinator
I had a ProScan player that had problems and I took it to Circuit City for repair. That claimed it was nonrepairable and gave me store credit for a new player. I definitely don't regret buying the "3 year extended Warranty" now! Anyways, I was looking at all there players such as Sony, Hitachi, JVC, Phillips/Magnavox, and Panasonic. You know, I am surprised that after almost 3 years since the ProScan was released, no one has made a player that can perform a flawless layer switch/transition. Well, the Apex is good for this feature, but I have heard too many people complain about these players. Thanks...

Ryan Patterson

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, from what I've heard, at least some Philips players support a seamless layer change. The Zenith players support this too, but they unfortunately cut out from the first layer about a second too soon.
A good example would be The Matrix. The layer change happens when the team goes to see the Oracle. Lawrence Fishburne picks up the phone in the warehouse and says "We're In". Then, the frame is supposed to freeze on an exterior shot of the warehouse, just before they open the door to walk outside. However, on the Zenith player I tried, Lawrence just says "We-" and the scene jumps to them opening the outside door. Not good layer change management! Personally, I'd prefer to get the change done right before having the change seamless. My old Creative Labs Dxr2 card does seamless layer changes correctly, although when watching trailers and other additions, it sometimes cuts out a second before the trailer/extra ends. (My South Park: BLU disc comes to mind)
I hope this insight helps...
Ryan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks