Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Vinyl rocks! Where can I buy more?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   Steve Owen

Steve Owen

Second Unit

• 419 posts

Posted September 25 2002 - 02:58 PM

I had posted a thread over in the audio/video sources section asking for help on upgrading my turntable.

Well, I couldn't wait, so I've hooked it up to my crappy sony receiver (has phono input) with crappy 4" radio shack speakers in my computer room. I'm using the 20+ year old cartridge/stylus that came with the thing.

And I'll tell you what... I've been sitting here for HOURS just putting on album after album. And even on this crummy setup, I've been enjoying every single minute of it. There's just something about the sound of vinyl that makes it effortless to listen to. It's something I've always known, but it's fun to rediscover it.

I've ordered some parts (new cartridge, phono premap, etc) so I can move the thing to my main system. I simply can't wait.

So, this leads me to the question at hand... is there any good places online to pick up vinyl (new and/or used)? I'm mostly interested in rock/alternative type stuff...

Thanks!
-Steve
"He says the sun came out last night. He says it sang to him."

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,677 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted September 25 2002 - 03:10 PM

I think there are lots of on-line vinyl dealers. I've used Craig Moerer's www.recordsbymail.com several times.
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown

Producer

• 5,713 posts

Posted September 25 2002 - 08:00 PM

Try GEMM.com .

Sort of like a broker for a whole bunch of dealers.
If it's not worth waiting until the last minute to do, then it's not worth doing.

KevinVision 7.1 ...

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   mike_decock

mike_decock

Supporting Actor

• 621 posts

Posted September 26 2002 - 07:38 AM

I second GEMM although prices vary wildly.

The best place to buy older rock is by hunting around local Goodwill stores and the like. I've gotta be careful when I do this because I've already got 150 records waiting to be cleaned and listened to.

For the newer stuff, I usually shop at Red Trumpet, Music Direct, Acoustic Sounds and Diverse Vinyl. The new reissue/import stuff is very pricey but well worth it if it's an album you really like and they have a decent selection of newer domestic releases.

-mike...

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   Sheldon

Sheldon

Stunt Coordinator

• 177 posts

Posted September 26 2002 - 10:36 AM

Steve...There is a place here in Halifax called Taz that deals with used vinyl from lp's to singles,all used.They have a huge inventory.They might ship to you in the US but I don't know for sure.The prices vary depending on the recording and whether it's rare or imported but one thing is for sure...they will have it and it is all in Canadian $$$$ do you can save via the exchange.

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor

• 901 posts

Posted September 27 2002 - 12:20 AM

Look in your phone book.

Fin a local shop or two. There's almost nothing more fun than browsing through yards upon yards of used vinyl looking for hidden treasures. Your fingers will remember what it felt like to do it with new vinyl 17 years ago. It is a blast. My local shop, Plan 9, also has a few crates of used laserdiscs!

NP: Peter Gabriel - Up (his best album in 20 years)
My blog: Andrew Hamm: (Title Changes Regularly)

The 2008-2009 Richmond Shakespeare Theatre

Hamlet October 17 - November 9A Christmas Carol for Two Actors December 11 - 21Amadeus February 12 - March 8Cymbeline April 16 - May 10

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   George See

George See

Second Unit

• 486 posts

Posted September 27 2002 - 03:37 AM

Flea Markets.......Although be carefull you don't buy something that's in horrible condition. Every once in awhile you come across that great record that may even be worth A few bucks at A flea market for .25

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   Jeff Pryor

Jeff Pryor

Supporting Actor

• 654 posts

Posted September 27 2002 - 04:54 AM

My favorite new thing to do on weekends is go browsing the used record shops. Now when I want older music, forget buying CDs, I've picked up some good LPs lately for cheap and they sound great!
Heads I win, tails you lose.

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   Bill cc

Bill cc

Stunt Coordinator

• 50 posts

Posted September 27 2002 - 06:47 PM

Record Store definitely..

Also, thrift stores can be good, unless they are popular..
$1 or less a record rocks! I found a LOT of old 80's rap records in one shot at a small thrift store .. the clerk gave me a weird look for buyng about 30 albums at one time Posted Image

BTW.. Plan 9 is an awesome store! Check it out if ever in Richmond. Tons of excellent used vinyl, VHs, and Laserdics.. just wish they'd come down on the used DVD prices.. can't complain though cause I picked up Sid and Nancy (Criterion) from there not too long ago which is impossible to find elsewhere.