What's new

velodyne's the best? (1 Viewer)

Bunkie_r

Auditioning
are velodyne subs the best subs in the market for home theater use? if no, what brands are?

Geno

Supporting Actor
im sold on an SVS but cant get one till i move into a house.

just my $.02

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
Go to www.svsubwoofers.com and send the guys an email. They'll get back with you pretty quickly with suggestions.
Be sure to tell them your room size and what equipment you'll be matching up with.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Velodynes are probably the best regarding the size/extension/clean output ratio. For MANY years the Velodyne 18" servos(ULDs thru HGS series)have been the measuring stick for all other subwoofers.

TV

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I like Velodyne, but they have real issues with their quality control, and customer service. Check out their reviews on www.audioreview.com.
I had an HGS-10 for a couple years, then an HGS-12, then I tried an FSR-15, but it arrived with the faceplate cracked, so I switched to Vandersteen. I've had the V2W for a couple years now and like it alot.
I'm still hoping for an SVS "big box" sub someday... :)

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Personally I like great big over kill DIY subs for Home Theater. Side effect of the no compromise enclosure is they sound remarkably good too ;) If you got the tools and the desire they can save a chunk of cash as well.

BryanZ

Screenwriter
Velos and Paradigm subs are unquestionably good along with ones from Adire Audio, ACI, and HSU. Far and away the best I have heard is the big, black, mother of a scratching post (j/k) from SVS.

Jeffrey Chin

Second Unit
Homage to Tom V @ SVS for being able to tip his hat off to another brand, Vel.
However...
SVS STILL OWNZ JOO!
:D

Michael Roderiques

Stunt Coordinator
Velodyne builds a good product. The HGS series is used by a number of companies as the reference standard. Even more use the HGS and will not admit to it.

Is it the best. Depends on who you ask. Some will say yes, others no.

Now that HT has taken off and more homes have theater systems, the sub-woofer has become a must have part of the system.

When you look at what is available today compared to just 5 years ago, the number of products is amazing.

A number of good sub-woofers are available today. Read this forum and you will see several worthy subs listed.

A lot of people here like SVS models, some prefer to build custom subs.

The bottom line is if you like the way something works and sounds, then it is the best.

Will Gatlin Jr

Stunt Coordinator
From one of the HT mags a few years ago. "You may not be ready for all the FSR-18 (Velodyne) has to offer." I use an HGS-18/VA-1012II. Powerful, clean, dynamic, and plays very low.

Reece

Stunt Coordinator
I own the Vel HGS-15 seriesll and couldn't be happier.(except if I owned the HGS-18 like Will:D )
If there is any doubt that Velodyne is king check Link Removed out.

Sheldon

Stunt Coordinator
Hi folks...I have the ct-15 and I absolutely love it.I do have a question though...I leave my sub's volume about half way.I have read in posts over the years to turn the thing full up but I am not sure why.At half volume,the pictures shake on the walls while watching excellent sounding movies.Also,I find that I have to turn it down a little for music.What are your thoughts?

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
That dial isn't a volume control, it's a gain control. It doesn't matter where you have it as long as the SPL meter says what it is supposed to.

A gain control can be backed all the way off, and if the input signal is high enough the amp can still clip. Set your receiver sub level to a middle value, then adjust the gain on the plate amp until the SPL meter matches the other speakers with test tones.

Michael Roderiques

Stunt Coordinator
Dustin You are correct, The knob labeled volume is more of a gain control than a true volume control

Sheldon here is a more correct way to calibrate your sub for your system.
Once you set the sub, you should not need to make any major adjustments.

The recommended procedure for setting up a Velodyne sub is to place the “volume” control to a starting point. Say the 4th dot. On most Velodynes the optimum working range is from the 3rd to 5th dot, you can go lower, but you don’t want to go higher.

Have your source set to it’s mid point, most systems this is “0”

With a test tone AND some form of other audio, take reading from an SPL meter.

If the measured out put is significantly higher, adjust the SUB gain down ½ a dot and re-test. It is the other way, move the gain up ½ dot. Do this a ½ dot at a time until you get close.

When you are close to the reference you are looking for, make the final adjustments with your processor output. Ideal would be to have no more than a working range of 0 to +2 on the source and 3 ½ to 4 on the sub. If this range is not cast in stone. It is the best starting point and for most the optimum working range

To eliminate some problems with the auto on functions, try to never go into a negative number on the source, if you have to think about going this way, bring the sub down first. Try not to have the subs “volume” below 1 ½ dots.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks