What's new

What does everyone think of their Grease DVD's ? (1 Viewer)

T r o y

Supporting Actor
Now that we have our Grease on DVD, I'd like to know your thoughts on the video and the 5.1 audio, especially when the songs kick in.
Bring it on!

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
I was very disappointed as I had to turn up my volume much higher than usual, opposite to AMADEUS. Once I figured out the proper level to listen to, and praying I'd remember to turn it back down before putting another disc in, I enjoyed the movie. Hope they clean this one up properly for the supposed next DVD version.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Just got through watching it. Seeing it in Widescreen was a revelation. :eek: I had zero problems with the audio.
For $16.99? :emoji_thumbsup:

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
i was pleasantly surprised.
after reading a few reviews trashing the video, i was expecting much, much worse.
apart from some annoying (but thankfully nowhere near constant) EE, the transfer looks to me pretty damn good for a 1978 film.
audio-wise, i was just as surprised how bad the center channel dialouge sounds most of the time -very tinny, plugged up. for once i know its the actual sound track and not my speakers, 'cause once the music kicks in...its awhole different story.
have been actively avoiding this movie for many years.
last time i actually sat down and watched the whole thing was probably in the 80's.
i can see now why so many people never stopped liking it.
like David said, for $16.99
:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Finished up watching it about a half-hour ago. I thought the video was ok for a film from the 70s and the 5.1 soundtrack wasn't the best i've heard...but not the worst either. I really did like the use of the surrounds. Not only during the songs, but most of the way through the movie, there was something going on which used the rears. It was also nice to see it in widescreen (this is the first time I've seen it in widescreen). No real complaints...just clean up the audio a bit for the next go-around.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
It is definitely a rehash of the 1998 mastering efforts, both in sound and video quality. Not impressive in the least.

- Steve

Karen Maraj

Agent
I bought the widescreen edition, but I noticed on the back of the case it had the dreaded "formatted to fit your tv" message :confused: The video is widescreen... typo?

Chris M

Second Unit
I'm not into this movie, but damn, the packaging SUCKS! What's the point? An amaray style would have been much better than a thin cardboard thing... icky.

Chris.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
but damn, the packaging SUCKS! What's the point? An amaray style would have been much better than a thin cardboard thing... icky.
Same thing that was just used on Panic Room by Columbia, and will be used by Paramount on Saturday Night Fever. I betcha this is just the tip of the iceberg. As Warner figured out long ago, cardboard is cheaper than plastic. :frowning: :thumbsdown:
Personally (though I never thought I'd say something as horrifying as this!), I prefer a snapper over these. I can't friggin' get the digipak out of the ultra-thin slipcase. Too air-tight. :rolleyes

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
apart from some annoying (but thankfully nowhere near constant) EE
I agree; the picture quality was definitely inconsistent. Check out the "Beauty School Dropout" sequence. The video looked like it had been pieced together from multiple sources of varying quality (or possibly one source done using different methods?). I don't know; it was pretty weird, though.
Overall, I'm very happy to have the movie on DVD, but I'm more than a little perturbed at Paramount for spending a zillion dollars promoting a disc that was obviously authored years ago.
Link Removed

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
that was obviously authored years ago
If nothing else, though, they stuck their new logo onto the front end, right? The "stars as meteors" version for the 90th anniversary? Or am I just nuts?

(well, I'm always nuts, but I meant as pertains to THIS!)

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
It is definitely a rehash of the 1998 mastering efforts, both in sound and video quality. Not impressive in the least.
Watching the dvd of Grease, the first thing I noticed was the new Paramount logo when the disc spins up before the main menu. Now, I don't believe the new Paramount logo is 4 years old. This indicates that the current Grease dvds are a recent pressing. Of course, it may be a 4 year-old film transfer, but methinks the compression, authoring and pressing was done in the last year or so.
While the dvd is certainly lackluster, it is still a drastic improvement over the LD (especially on a 90+ inch 16X9 screen). Furthermore, I know this film VERY well, and saw the 1998 re-release in the theater. The dvd looks better than the print I saw in the theater (which is depressing and another issue altogether).
What this film needs is a full restoration, not a special edition. Paramount should spend the next few years a la Warner Bros. and restore this gem. Keep the current dvd on the shelves to hold us over, but restore the damn thing properly.
I look forward to enjoying the current dvd for a while. I will, however, be very upset to see a SE of Grease in 2004 using the same transfer (or new transfer of the same troublesome elements).
Felix Martinez
Visit the CineFlexx
http://members.aol.com/beautymarkstudio/Home.html

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Karen - The US release is not like this as it gives the standard disclaimer: This film is presented in "widescreen" format. The black bars on the top and bottom of the screen are normal. Perhaps it is isolated to the Canadian version... Which did you purchase?

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Saturday Night Fever is goddamn slipcase? :thumbsdown: Denied! :frowning:
My copy will arrive tomorrow. I'll tell you all what it's like. I have yet to see a review of the DVD...
Gordy (Paint shop goon/Disco King! :D )

Mike Peveler

Stunt Coordinator
WORST FUCKING PACKAGING EVER!!!!!
I haven't watched yet but if the packaging is any indication of the product within, it probably looks worse than the Scarface S.E.:angry:

Bryce Miner

Stunt Coordinator
I went to media play and they had the cardboard thin type packaging you all are describing. I then went to costco and found they only have keepcase versions! I bought mine there for 16.99 with a keepcase instead of that horrible thin cardboard thing.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
In reply to David Glen:
The DVD is in the hands of Royal Mail now, so if the postman slips it through my letterbox tomorrow, I'll check out a few of the scenes (I rarely watch a movie all the way through during the day, especially "dark" films) and tell you how the picture and sound are. I am confident that it will look appropriately dark and slighty grainy and the 2001 Disco scenes colourful and sharper than previous HV versions.
I'll post a comprehensive review on friday.
Come on Mr postman! ;)
Gordy (Neil Young worshipper who also loves Disco! :b)

Tony_Faville

Supporting Actor
My wife was happy with it....no matter how much better it could have looked and sounded, it was still far better than her tired old P&S VHS.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks