-

Photo

What does everyone think of their Grease DVD's ?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
90 replies to this topic

#1 of 91 OFFLINE   T r o y

T r o y

Supporting Actor

• 649 posts

Posted September 24 2002 - 12:42 PM

Now that we have our Grease on DVD, I'd like to know your thoughts on the video and the 5.1 audio, especially when the songs kick in.

Bring it on!

Outlaw 750 5 CH AMP
Yamaha DSP-A1
Sony BDP-S550
Monster Power
Mitsibishi HC-1500Klipsch KLF20Klipsch KLFC7Klipsch KSP-S6Velodyne F-1800XR

#2 of 91 OFFLINE   Jordan_E

Jordan_E

Screenwriter

• 2,233 posts

Posted September 24 2002 - 02:22 PM

I was very disappointed as I had to turn up my volume much higher than usual, opposite to AMADEUS. Once I figured out the proper level to listen to, and praying I'd remember to turn it back down before putting another disc in, I enjoyed the movie. Hope they clean this one up properly for the supposed next DVD version.
And you believe, at heart, everyone's a killer...

#3 of 91 OFFLINE   David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted September 24 2002 - 02:37 PM

Just got through watching it. Seeing it in Widescreen was a revelation. Posted Image I had zero problems with the audio.

For $16.99? Posted Image
DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#4 of 91 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted September 24 2002 - 03:09 PM

i was pleasantly surprised.
after reading a few reviews trashing the video, i was expecting much, much worse.
apart from some annoying (but thankfully nowhere near constant) EE, the transfer looks to me pretty damn good for a 1978 film.
audio-wise, i was just as surprised how bad the center channel dialouge sounds most of the time -very tinny, plugged up. for once i know its the actual sound track and not my speakers, 'cause once the music kicks in...its awhole different story.

have been actively avoiding this movie for many years.
last time i actually sat down and watched the whole thing was probably in the 80's.
i can see now why so many people never stopped liking it.

like David said, for $16.99
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#5 of 91 OFFLINE   Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure

Screenwriter

• 2,760 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted September 24 2002 - 05:17 PM

Finished up watching it about a half-hour ago. I thought the video was ok for a film from the 70s and the 5.1 soundtrack wasn't the best i've heard...but not the worst either. I really did like the use of the surrounds. Not only during the songs, but most of the way through the movie, there was something going on which used the rears. It was also nice to see it in widescreen (this is the first time I've seen it in widescreen). No real complaints...just clean up the audio a bit for the next go-around.

#6 of 91 ONLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,517 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted September 24 2002 - 05:22 PM

It is definitely a rehash of the 1998 mastering efforts, both in sound and video quality. Not impressive in the least.

- Steve

#7 of 91 OFFLINE   Karen Maraj

Karen Maraj

Stunt Coordinator

• 50 posts

Posted September 24 2002 - 05:23 PM

I bought the widescreen edition, but I noticed on the back of the case it had the dreaded "formatted to fit your tv" message Posted Image The video is widescreen... typo?

#8 of 91 OFFLINE   Chris M

Chris M

Second Unit

• 488 posts

Posted September 24 2002 - 06:27 PM

I'm not into this movie, but damn, the packaging SUCKS! What's the point? An amaray style would have been much better than a thin cardboard thing... icky.

Chris.

#9 of 91 OFFLINE   David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted September 24 2002 - 09:56 PM

Quote:
It is definitely a rehash of the 1998 mastering efforts, both in sound and video quality. Not impressive in the least.

Oh, definately not anything one would use to demo the system, no. Perhaps to demo the concept of "See what you've been missing: see it in widescreen", but nothing very impressive in the way DVD quality or 5.1 sound ought to be used. Just not below-average, either...which is what many reviews seem to be indicating. I realize now that what we are hearing are eachos of disappointment that this disc is NOT reference-quality.

Maybe in '04, eh? Posted Image

Quote:
but damn, the packaging SUCKS! What's the point? An amaray style would have been much better than a thin cardboard thing... icky.
Same thing that was just used on Panic Room by Columbia, and will be used by Paramount on Saturday Night Fever. I betcha this is just the tip of the iceberg. As Warner figured out long ago, cardboard is cheaper than plastic. Posted Image Posted Image

Personally (though I never thought I'd say something as horrifying as this!), I prefer a snapper over these. I can't friggin' get the digipak out of the ultra-thin slipcase. Too air-tight. Posted Image
DAVE/Memphis, TN

#10 of 91 OFFLINE   Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter

• 1,090 posts

Posted September 25 2002 - 01:24 AM

Quote:
apart from some annoying (but thankfully nowhere near constant) EE
I agree; the picture quality was definitely inconsistent. Check out the "Beauty School Dropout" sequence. The video looked like it had been pieced together from multiple sources of varying quality (or possibly one source done using different methods?). I don't know; it was pretty weird, though.

Overall, I'm very happy to have the movie on DVD, but I'm more than a little perturbed at Paramount for spending a zillion dollars promoting a disc that was obviously authored years ago.

Posted Image

#11 of 91 OFFLINE   Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter

• 1,455 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted September 25 2002 - 02:02 AM

Quote:

Watching the dvd of Grease, the first thing I noticed was the new Paramount logo when the disc spins up before the main menu. Now, I don't believe the new Paramount logo is 4 years old. This indicates that the current Grease dvds are a recent pressing. Of course, it may be a 4 year-old film transfer, but methinks the compression, authoring and pressing was done in the last year or so.

While the dvd is certainly lackluster, it is still a drastic improvement over the LD (especially on a 90+ inch 16X9 screen). Furthermore, I know this film VERY well, and saw the 1998 re-release in the theater. The dvd looks better than the print I saw in the theater (which is depressing and another issue altogether).

What this film needs is a full restoration, not a special edition. Paramount should spend the next few years a la Warner Bros. and restore this gem. Keep the current dvd on the shelves to hold us over, but restore the damn thing properly.

I look forward to enjoying the current dvd for a while. I will, however, be very upset to see a SE of Grease in 2004 using the same transfer (or new transfer of the same troublesome elements).

Felix Martinez
Visit the CineFlexx
http://members.aol.c...tudio/Home.html

#12 of 91 OFFLINE   David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted September 25 2002 - 02:01 AM

Quote:
that was obviously authored years ago
If nothing else, though, they stuck their new logo onto the front end, right? The "stars as meteors" version for the 90th anniversary? Or am I just nuts?

(well, I'm always nuts, but I meant as pertains to THIS!)
DAVE/Memphis, TN

#13 of 91 OFFLINE   Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure

Screenwriter

• 2,760 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted September 25 2002 - 02:40 AM

I bought the widescreen edition, but I noticed on the back of the case it had the dreaded "formatted to fit your tv" message The video is widescreen... typo?

Karen - The US release is not like this as it gives the standard disclaimer: This film is presented in "widescreen" format. The black bars on the top and bottom of the screen are normal. Perhaps it is isolated to the Canadian version... Which did you purchase?

#14 of 91 OFFLINE   Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy

Producer

• 3,530 posts

Posted September 25 2002 - 03:00 AM

Saturday Night Fever is goddamn slipcase? Posted Image Denied! Posted Image

My copy will arrive tomorrow. I'll tell you all what it's like. I have yet to see a review of the DVD...

Gordy (Paint shop goon/Disco King! Posted Image )

#15 of 91 OFFLINE   David Glenn

David Glenn

Second Unit

• 333 posts

Posted September 25 2002 - 03:12 AM

Gordon,

Looking forward to your review of SNF.
Xbox Gamertag: WetWork

#16 of 91 OFFLINE   Mike Peveler

Mike Peveler

Stunt Coordinator

• 103 posts

Posted September 25 2002 - 03:42 AM

WORST FUCKING PACKAGING EVER!!!!!

I haven't watched yet but if the packaging is any indication of the product within, it probably looks worse than the Scarface S.E.Posted Image

#17 of 91 OFFLINE   Bryce Miner

Bryce Miner

Stunt Coordinator

• 134 posts

Posted September 25 2002 - 03:52 AM

I went to media play and they had the cardboard thin type packaging you all are describing. I then went to costco and found they only have keepcase versions! I bought mine there for 16.99 with a keepcase instead of that horrible thin cardboard thing.

#18 of 91 OFFLINE   Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy

Producer

• 3,530 posts

Posted September 25 2002 - 04:08 AM

In reply to David Glen:

The DVD is in the hands of Royal Mail now, so if the postman slips it through my letterbox tomorrow, I'll check out a few of the scenes (I rarely watch a movie all the way through during the day, especially "dark" films) and tell you how the picture and sound are. I am confident that it will look appropriately dark and slighty grainy and the 2001 Disco scenes colourful and sharper than previous HV versions.

I'll post a comprehensive review on friday.

Come on Mr postman! Posted Image

Gordy (Neil Young worshipper who also loves Disco! :B)

#19 of 91 OFFLINE   Tony_Faville

Tony_Faville

Supporting Actor

• 519 posts

Posted September 25 2002 - 04:19 AM

My wife was happy with it....no matter how much better it could have looked and sounded, it was still far better than her tired old P&S VHS.

#20 of 91 OFFLINE   Carl Walker

Carl Walker

Stunt Coordinator

• 165 posts

Posted September 25 2002 - 04:17 AM

FYI: Sam's Club also has this in keepcases...
"I am the senate!"

-- Supreme Chancellor Palpatine,
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow