Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Difficulty removing discs from Singin In The Rain SE

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 OFFLINE   Richard Kim

Richard Kim

Producer

• 4,389 posts

Posted September 24 2002 - 05:55 AM

Even though the hubs had the "Press here" button that's supposed to release the disc, I had tremendous difficulty removing the discs. It was like the death grip hubs on the old style Fight Club cases! As a result, Disc 1 of Singin In The Rain has some ugly scratch marks on it! Posted Image Fortunately, the movie played fine. Anyone else have any problem with this or the other Warner 2 disc special editions that came out today? (Unforgiven, True Romance, etc.)

#2 of 12 OFFLINE   BrettB

BrettB

Producer

• 3,024 posts

Posted September 24 2002 - 08:20 AM

My experience; The Unforgiven discs came out quite nicely, and I was pleasantly surprised. Then I tried the Singin' In The Rain discs and they were very troublesome. Also, last week I was damn near unable to remove the Young Ones discs without snapping them in half.

#3 of 12 OFFLINE   steve blake

steve blake

Stunt Coordinator

• 52 posts

Posted September 24 2002 - 09:34 AM

took me ages to get the discs out for singin in the rain at one point I thought disc 1 was going to snap,true romance discs though came out quite easy.

#4 of 12 OFFLINE   DeVario

DeVario

Agent

• 42 posts

Posted September 24 2002 - 09:43 AM

I picked all five titles up today and had the most trouble with the Unforgiven disc one. I thought I was going to break that one in half. But it came out after a while.

#5 of 12 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 10,498 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted September 24 2002 - 12:46 PM

My True Romance is damn near impossible, but not as bad as my all time worst: Bridge On the River Kwai! I actually snapped bits off so I could get the discs out easily!

#6 of 12 OFFLINE   David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Producer

• 5,736 posts

Posted September 24 2002 - 12:58 PM

[quote] death grip hubs... [quote] I've encountered the "hubs from hell" phenomenon as well.
It's ridiculous!
Doesn't ANYBODY do tests on these things [to check for user-friendliness] before they're released for public use?! Or do they actually think it's desirable to have to spend 5 minutes on each and every disc-removal session?! Posted Image

Another stupid thing designed into many cases are the plastic "walls" that plug up what are supposed to be the "recessed" areas for your fingers (so you can grab the discs edges)! What is the point of these 4 recessed "finger" areas at all, if they're going to fill them up with a plastic barrier?! Idiotic! -End: tantrum mode- Posted Image

#7 of 12 OFFLINE   Peter Kline

Peter Kline

Screenwriter

• 2,409 posts

Posted September 24 2002 - 01:02 PM

I find it easy to remove these discs by placing the case on a flat surface (table top will do) and pressing down on the center hub firmly. The disc then releases very easily. This is what I did for Singin' In The Rain. If you try to take the discs out while holding the case in your hand, they are difficult to remove. In the old days hubs used to break in shipment. Now they don't.

#8 of 12 OFFLINE   BarryS

BarryS

Second Unit

• 424 posts

Posted September 24 2002 - 06:06 PM

I had a hell of a time trying to remove the True Romance discs. The packaging seems like what Miramax used for the Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown DVDs, but I don't remember having any trouble with those. I took a few minutes to get the True Romance disc out.

#9 of 12 OFFLINE   DeVario

DeVario

Agent

• 42 posts

Posted September 24 2002 - 07:13 PM

If they don't, they should.

#10 of 12 OFFLINE   Cary T

Cary T

Screenwriter

• 1,060 posts

Posted September 24 2002 - 07:30 PM

Singin' In The Rain and True Romance discs were rather tighter than normal, but I didn't experience the trouble expressed in this thread. I still need to open Amadeus...

#11 of 12 OFFLINE   Jeff Bamberger

Jeff Bamberger

Second Unit

• 496 posts

Posted September 25 2002 - 02:17 AM

I had the same exact problem with Symphonic Yes. Once I finally got it out, I pressed quite firmly on the hub multiple times to loosen it up a bit. Seems better, but not great, now. I hate this type of hub.

#12 of 12 OFFLINE   Martin Jeeves

Martin Jeeves

Supporting Actor

• 699 posts

Posted September 25 2002 - 03:34 AM

Yeah I had to take "AMADEUS" back because I couldn't get Disc 1 out and neither could the guy in the store. So he gave me a new one, but even that was hard to remove. "TRUE ROMANCE" was also difficult.
M.J.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users