What's new

Panasonic DMR-HS1 vs Sony DVP-S999ES...best buy for 1200 retail? (1 Viewer)

Chuck Paskovics

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Jeffrey,

The DMR-HS1 is actually the Japanese version. The one you are talking about is the HS2. It is already out and is selling for around $800 online (look at ebay and you will see quite a few).

Do a search in these forums and you will find alot of discussion about this model.

Jeffrey Chin

Second Unit
pricing
Link Removed
from panasonic website
Link Removed
800..not bad!
however i noticed some differences when comparing the two...
SONY = multich sacd, 14bit/108mhz dac, component video out, dig coax out
PANNY = dvd recorder w/ hdd, 10bit/27mhz dac, svideo out, optical out

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jeffrey, no offense, but it seems that you are not comparing apples to apples. The specs. and features of these two components are very different. I like the look of the 'NS999ES on paper. That, of course, does not mean it is the better DVD player, though. I don't like the idea that at around $800, the 'HS2 does not have a coaxial digital output.

Since the 'HS2 simply has a 10-bit/27-MHz video DAC, does that mean it does not offer progressive-scan output? What features are most important to you? I assume picture quality, but what about SACD, the hard-disk drive, etc.?

Chuck Paskovics

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, here goes...

The DMR-HS2 does not have a coax digital out, it has an optical digital out.

It does have Component Video Out (Y, PB, PR) as well as 2 S-video outs. It is labeled as a progressive scan DVD player.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Chuck, thanks. I figured that to be a progressive-scan player these days, the 'HS2 would at least have a 10/54 video DAC. Still, the 'NS999 and 'HS2 are very different components.
I read about the 'HS2 recently, and it looks like a nice component. One feature it doesn't seem to have is the ability to copy tracks off of CDs (in compressed or uncompressed form). That would be nice. I would like to see a component that melds a digital audio server with a DVD recorder/player. As far as I know, such a component does not yet exist. Actually, I haven't even seen a digital audio server combined with just a DVD player. Hopefully we will see audio and video recording convergence down the road. I'd love to have a component that could act as a DVD recorder, DVD player, and digital audio server of uncompressed audio. If it could also burn audio tracks from the hard drive to CD-Rs and CD-RWs and also play SACDs and DVD-Audio discs, all the better. :)

Jeffrey Chin

Second Unit
i found out the HS2 DOES have dig coax out and component video out.
anyway, my priority is obviously the best of both worlds: features + quality
if regular dvd playback quality is 80%+ that of the 999es
i will go for the panny, since i could use the archiving feature for my replaytv shows
perfect timing to complement the svs 16-46pc+ i'm getting on thursday :D
keith, as for copying tracks off cds, you might want to look at the zapstation 40gb for $599 at http://www.zapmedia.com

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jeffrey, it's good to know that the 'HS2 has a coaxial digital output. It should. In any event, the 'HS2 and 'NS999ES should be in stores soon enough so that you can compare them.

I have read about the ZapMedia component, though not in awhile. The web site does not say that you can copy uncompressed audio to the unit, nor does it say that you can burn songs from the hard drive to CD-Rs and CD-RWs. It also has a lot of features I wouldn't want in an audio components (e.g., e-mail, Internet). Still, it's a start. It looks like a Harman/Kardon component.

Jeffrey Chin

Second Unit
to see all the inputs for the HS2, click here:
Link Removed
no, i will not buy both just to compare. that is a waste of money (unless the store has a good return policy, in which it will be hard to get a good price)

bill renze

Auditioning
This must be the Pal UK version because the NTSC version does not have coaxial digital out, just optical. I just connected mine up and had to go buy an optical cable as my last DVD player had coax. Bill

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
This coaxial/optical thing is interesting.
Bill,
I assume you bought the 'HS2 through a normal retail outlet? If so, then I assume the issue is settled -- the US version available at retail does not have a coaxial digital output.
Manoj,
You probably got a prototype for review. Don't forget to mention in your review that readers will not have the luxury of the coaxial digital output afforded to your review unit. ;)
Jeffrey,
I was not necessarily suggesting that you buy both the 'NS999ES and 'HS2. Perhaps a local dealer will have both on demo. Obviously, don't buy anything from a dealer who doesn't have a satisfaction guarantee, and look for a dealer who offers a refund, not just a store credit.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jeffrey, I've been checking Crutchfield's web site regularly, but the 'NS999ES is still not posted. Crutchfield will have the 'NS999ES for full retail ($1200), but I am checking their web site since it is usually very informative. In any event, authorized dealers do not advertise discounted prices on ES components, so you will have to make some calls. I suggest you call OneCall (1-800-340-4770), J&R Music World (1-800-221-8180), and Oade Bros. (1-229-228-0093 or 1-229-228-4480). Oade Bros. will usually give the lowest initial quote, but OneCall and J&R often match their price. Also, Oade Bros. will probably have the most information regarding expected availability. In my experience, Oade Bros. readily shares information they get from their Sony sales rep.

Jeffrey Chin

Second Unit
Oade has it for $895 + $25 shipping
preorder waiting list..9 came in today

onecall.com will pricematch oade
IN STOCK

J&R does not carry it yet

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jeffrey, thanks for the update. Crutchfield still does not have the 'NS999ES on its web site. :frowning:

Piers C

Stunt Coordinator
Looking forward to finally seeing this product and hopefully getting some early reviews from those that pre-ordered!

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jeffrey,
Thanks for the info. The 'NS999ES was not up on Crutchfield's web site yesterday. Interestingly, the 'S9000ES is no longer posted. Anyway, Crutchfield does not match other dealers' prices. Crutchfield's philosophy is that you are paying for their excellent customer service. Their customer service is excellent, however, there is a limit to how much I will pay for it. In general, I will not pay their prices.
For a better price on the 'NS999ES, check OneCall, J&R Music World, or Oade Bros.
All,
Crutchfield.com states that the 'NS999ES will be in stock tomorrow (10/7/02). If you have trouble with Jeffrey's Yahoo! link, try this:
http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...VP999E&o=m&a=0

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks