What's new

Help? Choosing graphing calculator for Senior Math (1 Viewer)

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Hey, im in Math 12, and im looking for a graphing calculator, i wanna spend the least money possible. A Texas Insturments TI-83 costs about $140CAD.
I found this one Casio CFX-9800G-w calculator for $50 'minimally used' from a guy in vancouver as well in the classifieds. It looked pretty cool from the description, being color and all, but then i ebayed it, and there were three results. All three were being bidded for under $10 :eek: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1383610896
Would the casio have all the functions the TI does? I know the TI for sure will have everything i need.
Thanks

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
Using the TI will make it easier for you to ask friends/teacher for help if that's what everyone else has.

I've owned casio and hp, and used many TIs.

Casio is by far the worst I've used. The TI is pretty good, and the HP was way better than either. I don't think HP makes calculators anymore, at all. But there was finally a replacement for the venerable 48GX (what I own) that was similiar was switchable for standard or reverse polish notaion (RPN) -- Personnaly, I find RPN much, much easier to use and its one of the reasons I prefer the HP so much. It's very easy to learn, and much more intuitive.

Just checked on ebay... you can get a 49G (which is faster and newer) for like $85. An old (well, they're new, but the calc has been around for many years!) 48GX costs about $70. Both are ~$180 SRP. The 49 is switchable to RPN, the 48 is only RPN.

There are many programs (and games...) availible for HPs.

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
I would also recommend HP - but there as a condition: You really have to be willing to spend some time tweaking a HP calc before it is as effective as a TI. The TI's are way better "out-of-the-box", while the HP needs additional programs and customization. The TI's are also faster.
But I still prefer HP! :)

Dave Morton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
I teach college statistics part-time and the department recommends the TI-83. It does have good graphing, but more importantly, it has all statistical tests that you would need that is pretty easy to comprehend. Setting up your data in a table and analyzing is quite easy. I can't speak for the others as I have no knowledge of them, but the TI-83 is a nice calculator.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Okay, ill see if i can find a cheap TI-83 somewhere.. It seems thats what EVERYBODY uses :p) Even the school has a class set of TI-83, so i guess it'll be easier..but damnit, $140?
I wouldn't have the time or knowledge to 'tweak' a HP, so thats out of the question. My parents better pay for some of it, its for my education ;)

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
It seems thats what EVERYBODY uses
Bah! In high school I used a Casio, and in College I used a TI-92 :) Granted once you get into upper level math classes calculators aren't so usefull (Until you can program them to write a proof....)
Just about any graphing calculator is over kill for High School math, since you end up learning how to rely on your calculator more then your head.
HP's are very nice but have a different input and less people use em. (aka harder to get help)
Casios do most of what you want them to do, are fairly easy but don't have all the advanced features of the TIs.
Hopefully you can find a used TI-83 someplace, just make sure it comes with the manual :) Those things are a beast.
Brian

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
If you're looking toward taking other Math and Science classes in college you might want to get something like the TI-86 level. We had to buy a TI-82 in HS for Calc, but when college came I ended up having to purchase the TI-86 for more Calc and Physics/Chem for the unit conversion function. If they recommend a TI calc, you probably better go along with that advice. We had class demos and programs designed specifically for the TI 82/85 series back in high school, those poor kids with the TI 81 had to manually enter the program before doing the assingment.

ToddMS

Stunt Coordinator
hmm..depends on what you want to do after HS. If you are doing any engineering, or more calculus, definitly get a
TI-89. If you are doing econ type things, a TI-83 Plus is prob. the way to go.

Todd

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
I don't think HP makes calculators anymore, at all.
Well, Bill is actually right. HP has shut down their entire calculator department, and they don't design *new* calculators anymore...
It's a real shame, because this was their latest project which was dropped just before it was going to be released:
http://www.rskey.org/xpander.htm
If they continued their calculator development this way, we would have seen some *really* cool and innovative graphic calculators by now! But sadly that didn't happen...

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
I dont think im gonna use it much in the senior years of college, as i am not planning to go into engineering or sciences (hey, it COULD change), im thinking of going into business.

I know its kinda overkill, and i COULD use the class set, but then i wouldnt be able to study math at home. And anyways, ill still need it in first year math/calculus.

Currently we're doing trig (SinCosTan, CscSecCot, special triangles, sine/cosine waves, etc) and we need it to graph stuff

Andrew V

Stunt Coordinator
As a student currently in PreCalculus, I would recommend the TI-83+. I've been using it for the last year and it has done everything that I wanted it to. I even went for the Silver Edition for the Added Memory and Increased Speed. Though it might be an investment now, it will soon pay itself off since you will be using it later on. Since it is a TI, you can readily download many versatile programs to help in a plethora of Subjects. For instance, I had a Periodic Table on mine to aid in Chemistry last year. And when you're bored in class, there are always Games. If you can shell out to extra cash, you might want to consider the TI-89, since it can solve equations for you. If you do end up with the TI-83, please feel free to ask me any questions since I'm pretty acquainted with a lot of the functions.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Cool, the TI-89 solves equations?! like if you say 10=y-5, then it'd solve it for Y? Sweet :D

Andrew V

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, I'm pretty sure that's what it can do and even on a more complex level. Thought, this is only from what I recall from tangents from my Pre-Calculus teacher. I never really tried it out for myself.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Yeah i know itll go more complex, i didnt wanna make up something harder than that :p)
Frick, it costs $325CAD at staples (The TI89) :eek:
Ohwell, i guess its the TI-83 for me

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
I have a TI-89 and that thing is THE BEST investment I ever made for school. It makes everything much easier in Calc courses :)
(plus it has lots of games ;) )

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Aww man, the TI-83 Silver edition looks AWESOME, more power (arrr arrr arrr), more memory, and an organizer.. but its like $80 more than the normal :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks