What's new

20,000 Leagues Under The Sea (1 Viewer)

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
My understanding was that it was going to be in the next wave of "Vault Disney" titles.

I'm only going by my shaky memory, so I may be wrong.

SteveP

Second Unit
Here's hoping that the new disc restores the original 2.55:1 AR, rather than the 2.35 ratio of the theatrical "restoration" prints of the 1990's.

Paul Linfesty

Stunt Coordinator

Not to mention the 2.35 AR of ALL releases since the original mag only print of 1954. Most prints used would have been 2.35 optic mono or mag/optic.

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
I've always loved the title "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea". What I love best about it is the fact that if you were to start on the surface of the ocean and go down 20,000 leagues, you would go down through the center of the Earth, come out the other side, and keep on going the same distance (as the Earth's diameter) another 7.75 times. Yes, 20,000 leagues is about 8.75 times the diameter of the Earth.
A league is not a single exact measurement. Webster's Online simply says "any of various units of distance from about 2.4 to 4.6 statute miles". An early definition at dictionary.com pegs it at 3.0 miles, but the next definition gets a litte more exact. It means various lengths to various countries, and even for some countries, the length varies depending on what it's measuring. France is one such country, and France is where Jules Verne, author of this story, is from, so I can't say for certain exactly how long he though 20,000 leagues was. But the closest I can get to a reasonably exact definition is the definition for the English and US "marine league", which is three "marine, or geographical, miles of 6080 feet", meaning one leauge is 18,240 feet long (3.454545...land or statue miles of 5280 feet). That means 20,000 leagues is 364,800,000 feet, or 69,090.909090...miles long, and the Earth's diameter is 7900 miles, so 20,000 leagues is almost 8.75 times the diameter of the Earth.
Sorry about all the math and numbers! :D It's just always amused me, that's all. :)

jeff peterson

Supporting Actor
Justin, sorry to burst your bubble :b but the 20,000 leagues under the sea is referring to the DISTANCE traveled under the sea, not the depth.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
What 2.55:1 films have been transfered to DVD at approximately 2.55:1? There ain't that many! But I hope Di$ney give us 2.55 for 20,000 Leagues...

Gordy

Jim-M

Second Unit
For those that haven't seen this movie, or don't remember having seen it, and want to check it out first to see if you want to buy the DVD when it comes out, the MoviePlex TV channel is showing it this week on Thursday night. I don't know how many people get this channel, but our Time Warner Cable carries it.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I do know that Scott MacQueen has always done superior work on his restorations of Disney films and that 20,000 LEAGUES was restored by him several years ago. I have no doubt that the eventual release of the film will also be superior. The Vault Disney releases are, each and every one of them, wonderful sets and must-buys for any Disney fan.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
What 2.55:1 films have been transfered to DVD at approximately 2.55:1?
Actually, there are quite a few. For example:
Rebel Without a Cause
The Seven Year Itch
A Star is Born
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
The Bridge on the River Kwai
It may only seem like there aren't many as the 2.55:1 CinemaScope ratio was only in use for a relatively short period of time (approx. 1954-1957ish) so there are fewer films in that ratio to begin with.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
That was a great SNL skit with Kelsey Grammer.
All the more reason to be a little bothered that someone really was making that mistake, especially when they are smart enough to be aquiring knowledge on varieties in the measurement.
Sorry Justin, but "YEEE-IIIKEES".
I just hope this is your one big mulligan for life (which we all have) and not some regular thing. ;) :D

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
I just caught that skit on a rerun about 2 weeks ago. First time I'd seen it. It was hilarious.

That giant squid is 20,000 leagues. :)

But yes, a league is a measurement of distance, and should never be used as a unit of depth. Now, 20,000 leagues is approximately 2.5x the circumference of the earth, so they must done a lot of traveling (almost said "a ton" but we don't want to start confusing our units again).

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
But yes, a league is a measurement of distance, and should never be used as a unit of depth. Now, 20,000 leagues is approximately 2.5x the circumference of the earth, so they must done a lot of traveling (almost said "a ton" but we don't want to start confusing our units again).
But how is depth under the surface of the sea measured? It's measured as a distance. American submarines dive to a certain depth that may be 650 feet or 800 feet or whatever. The foot is a distance measurement, measuring the depth. Feet is used to state the depth, or distance below the surface, of the bottom of the ocean, too. Sometimes miles will be used for the same purpose. I didn't realize that the league was specifically not supposed to be used for depth (nor did I see anything in any of the definitions to that effect, in fact), and, not ever using the league as a measurement for anything in the course of my life, I'm not familiar with the subtleties of its meanings. I guess at one time its use was more common that it has been in my lifetime, and I'm sure people in the days of Jules Verne probably knew exactly what he meant without thinking about it. I'm sorry that I don't; as I said, it's something I've never been exposed to, so all I know about it is what I can find in the dictionary, and I never saw that it cannot be used to measure depth (distance under the surface of the ocean).

Ultimately, whether the meaning is distance below the surface or distance travelled while below the surface, "20,000 leagues" is still a gross overexaggeration, one which, either way, happens to amuse me. I thought I would share that. Sorry if I upset anyone, I'll try to keep the things I find funny to myself (or other message boards) in the future.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
I believe the U.S. armed forces uses METERS. FATHOMS is the cool sounding measurement;)
btw, another popular film flub over measurement is the Han Solo line "....made the kessle run in less than 12 parsecs."
parsecs is distance, not time. (or so I was told)

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
I didn't mean to actually ask how, as in with what unit of measurement, is depth under the surface of the sea measured. I meant to ask with what type of measurement is it measured, and the answer is in sentence that follows the question: Depth under the sea is measured as a distance, with distance measurements, such as feet or even meters, if that's really what the Navy uses now.

It is correct that a parsec is a unit of distance. It is about 3.26 light-years long. I believe that it may have indeed been an error, because Han Solo was talking about how fast his ship was. But the official explanation is that he meant it to describe how maneuverable his ship was, or how good of a pilot he was. You see, the Kessel Run is not a specific path, but rather is the name of the trip to the spice mines of Kessel. To get there, you have to go through a dense concentration of black holes, which I believe is called "The Maw". Travelling through it is very tricky. There are numerous ways to go through it, but by saying he did it in "12 parsecs", Solo was indicating he had found what was presumably a very short path through it. Presumably, this indicates good pilot skills and/or a very maneuverable ship. But, although I don't recall the exact dialog off the top of my head, I believe that immediately prior to this comment, it was the speed of his ship that had been questioned, so his answer should have been in defense of his ship's speed.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
almost right Justin, you don't go through the Maw on the Kessel Run, rather the gravity shadow cast by the huge conglommeration of black holes makes it difficult to jump near Kessel. The significance of Han's boast is that the Falcon was able to withstand the strain of cutting closer than was advisable to the black holes (shortening his distance). Going through the Maw lands you in the 'eye' where according to the EU novels the death Star and sun crusher were developed (now blown to pieces by Ep II), and such a journey (and knowledge about Kessel!) only takes place in the books. In actuality I think it was a flub on Lucas' part mistaking distance measure for time.

Adam

JohnnyHK

Stunt Coordinator
Justin,
I have no idea why people are being so hard on you. For the record, I always thought it meant depth, not distance, too. Not sure why that's so obvious to some of these other folks, or why they're so eager to put you down because of it. :frowning:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

I've read this thread twice and I still don't see where people were being hard on Justin except for some good old-fashioned ribbing. Anyhow, back to the subject matter. I wonder when this title is coming out?

Crawdaddy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks