What's new

It always ruins a movie/tv show when.... (1 Viewer)

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Watching a twilight zone and good ole Rod mentions the episode is set in the future....the year 2000! If he didn't mention the year, you can get by the dumb 'futuristic sets'. But by dating it as our time you can see how badly they missed the mark

Jeff

Supporting Actor
The year for Bladerunner always bothered me. I think it's 2019. I don't think it's going to be like that in 17 years. They should have made it 2119.

Jeff

MichaelAW

Second Unit
Yeah, 2001: A Space Odyssey was really ruined because a monolith wasn't found on the moon last year. :rolleyes

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
I don't know why it "ruins" it...I find it more laughable in how wrong the person's vision was. Usually, it ends up being 20 years dated compared to reality.

Burce

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
It doesn't ruin films or shows for me, but it sure seems funny sometimes. Hell, even Demolition Man and Timecop are slightly funnier these days.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
so when do you think we'll having flying cars? :) i'd say 100-200 years, max. hoverboards will take longer...maybe 250-400 years. i'm probably overestimating, but who knows...

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Escape From New York in 1997 Manhattan is turned into a Maximum Security Prison, hmmm well the whole premise was far-fetched to begin with.
Soylent Green 2022, population explosion, real food is a luxury item, and people eat something called Soylent Green which is... nah I'm not going to tell you.:p)
The Time Machine in 802,701 the cannibalistic Morlocks are in charge, the Eloi laze around waiting to be eaten, nice, hey it could happen wait and see.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
.. or did it happen?
Cees
:laugh: I was JUST about to post that lol...
But i was gonna say something along the lines of 'hmm, then i have an excuse not to read 1984 in english class! Orwell got EVERYTHING wrong, what was he smoking when he wrote that shizznit up?!' :p)

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
1984??? Smile for candid Camera!
And of course no FBI has no interest in the internet at all. Funny how they can track down a virus to a small village in the Far East....hmmmmmmmmmmm

And BTW, 2001 is one of my favorite movies....still even when it is past history.
Some movies throw out one reference to a date; it just seems that directors/writers would be smarter to make it timeless and leave out the date.

I remember a Looney Tune where Elmer Fudd falls alseep (ala Rip Van Winkle) and wakes up in 1980, I believe.

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
At least some of those were probable at the time they were made.

The year for the new Planet of the Apes was 2029. We'll be lucky to have another space station orbiting earth in 2029, let along Jupiter (or Saturn, or which ever Planet it was).

Louis-Olivier

Stunt Coordinator
Regarding 1984...

This is Orwell's interpretation of what happened in 1948 he only switched the last two digit.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I certainly would have preferred that Ridley Scott not assign a date to the events in Blade Runner. None of the artificial life or space-related technology could have conceivably come about by 2019—and that should have been clearly apparent to Scott back in 1982.

All the talk of "moving to the offworld colonies" and Batty's final speech before dying suggests interstellar travel being a reality. Got news for you: It will be, at minimum, several hundred years before interstellar flight is achieved. More like thousands of years from now.

And yet, despite the artificial life and interstellar travel and flying cars, Scott first depicts Deckard reading a newspaper in front of a store window wherein we see curved, CRT-screen televisions for sale—televisions that look dated by the standards of ten or even more years ago. (Mr. Kubrick's little film, on the other hand, still possesses, among many other virtues, a futuristic look—he envisioned flat, widescreen monitors for one thing. Had the space program not been castrated so soon thereafter, much of what appeared in 2001 could have indeed arrived by the year 2001.)

• Hollywood nearly always guesses over-optimistically about where we'll be in the future and by when. The newest Planet of the Apes, as noted, posits some sort of Saturn-orbiting manned space station by 2029? We'll be lucky to have seen a manned expedition to Mars by then. The problem in Hollywood is that hardly any filmmakers have taken the time to cozy themselves with science and technology and plausibility.

Remember the Space: Above and Beyond series? Intersteller travel by, what, the 2030s? Get real! Or, better yet, read some basic science.

Ben Osborne

Second Unit
Conan O'Brien had a great spoof of these kinds of things with his old "In The Year 2000" sketches. I guess he stopped doing those a couple years ago. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks