What's new

Input on the Dennon 2800 II (1 Viewer)

Kevin Beck

Stunt Coordinator
Dennon 2800 II
Any real world experience out there? Did a search, and didn't come up with much. Has anybody had any experience with this player, to be able to make any comparisons? I see the original 2800 has now had a price drop,..think this will happen in a short while with the 2800 II? $850.00 is a good bit of cash for me to drop on a player if the PQ will not be good enough to brag about.
Thanks ,...>>>--->

DaveDel

Auditioning
I picked one up a month or so ago from a local Hi-Fi shop. I got lucky and only paid $499 due to the fact they had it mislabeled and didn't know it.

I'm running it through a Denon 4802 and I'm really pleased with the set up so far.

I will say if I had to pay $850 for it I would have spent alot more time making the decision.

Thomas P.

Stunt Coordinator
Kevin, I have the DVD 2800, last years model, and I love the picture quality on my 36" HD monitor. But, I have always had problems with the unit locking up. Happened last night while watching "Death to Smoochy". Put the same disc in my backup 1600 (based on the Panasonic RP-56) and it played without a hitch. The lock up probloems were so bad on 3 disks in a row that I thought it was dying. So, I went and bought the 1600 and then the 2800 played about 10 disks in a row perfectly. I thought that maybe I should return the 1600 because the 2800 seemed to correct itself, then boom, problems last night. Also, the DVD-2800 has the chroma bug.

Kevin Beck

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys,..I haven't read too much on this player. Has Dennon fixed the chroma problem in the Mark II unit?
Hmmmm,...
>>>--->

Ted Ross

Second Unit
I just picked one up today-I returned a Panny rp82 for the denon. Right out of the box I have noticed a much better improvement in picture in my eyes. Ill post more after I calibrate.

Kevin Beck

Stunt Coordinator
Ted,..
Please do,..I have a Panasonic RP82 as well, so your thoughts will be greatly appreciated. Let me know what TV you are using, and what differences you see, good or bad,...
Thanks again for all the input guys,...
>>>--->

Thomas P.

Stunt Coordinator
Dmitry, I have noticed a layer change on 2 of about 6 or 7 discs on the 1600. I have never seen a layer change on the 2800.

Ted Ross

Second Unit
Ok, a few more observations: I watched panic room last night on my Pioneer SD-533HD5 with the Denon-movie looked great & I did not notice a layer change. I really like the fast ff/rew & chapter skip buttons on the remote-they are easy to find in the dark-a HUGE improvement over the crappy rp82 remote. Picture doesnt have the "edge" noise/distortions I had with the rp82. I have also read that many people say the 3800 has a soft picture-this worried me because I personally wouldnt like that, but once hooked up to my set I found the picture not to be soft at all. The player does have picture adjustments & one of them is shapness-I left mine neutral. Another thing on this player is that, physically, its a big player so make sure you have the room! Ill post more as I toy with it later today

Elbert Lee

Supporting Actor
Question: Does turning up the sharpness settings on the Denon DVD player just sharpens a soft picture or does it actually introduce noise to the picture?
Elbert

jason celaya

Stunt Coordinator
I had a 2800 which i returned for a 3800. I'd say the picture is great however it seems to have a few bugs. Chroma bug being one that I didnt like. the 3800 is incredable...any softness in the picture can be corrected by the sharpness setting on the player (it increases bandwidth which is rolled off at stnd setting).

Scott Goldsmith

Stunt Coordinator
I just bought the Denon 2800 on Saturday, and so far I love it, except for the fact my TV isn't HDTV so I can't use the progressive scan feature. I'm working on getting a HDTV this week. But as for the Denon, it's real smooth, quiet, etc, MUCH better than my older Sony I had been using. I haven't noticed a layer swap yet, and I've watched several movies on it. Mine hasn't locked up or anything either. So far I'm really pleased with it. I was considering the Pioneer Elite DV47A besides this one, and I chose this one. I like the 4mb buffer, and I really like the size, I think the thin DVD players look a little cheap, the Denon 2800 and 3800 are tall and big, I really like that, so if anyone is considering one of these, they are almost 2 times the height as a regular DVD player.

Stupid question time....

What's the Chroma Bug? I asked my saleman/friend, he didn't really know either.

Thanks!

Elbert Lee

Supporting Actor
Jason - DOes tuning up the SHARPNESS setting on the Denon 3800 ADD NOISE to the picture, or simply just limits the amount of roll off? I'm afraid of turning it any higher without adverse results

Thanks
Elbert

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Guys,

I honestly don't know why Denon is still maintaining the 2800 line in its present form. First off, the 2800 MkII carries a 850.00 price tag and has the chroma bug with no DVD-A capability. In this present climate, especially with it being priced close to the DVD-3800, I just don't think the 2800's represents much of a bargain for the price. Several reviewers have already said they would rather spend less money and get the Denon 1600 with DVD-A capability and no chroma bug. However, the DVD-3800 is a great player with pretty good value. I just feel that the 2800 in its present incarnation doesn't represent much of a deal imho. I currently own the Denon DVD-1600, and love it. A new 2800 for 500.00 is OK, but it does have the chroma bug, and personally, I would rather pass on the 2800 series and either get a 1600 or 3800. If this does not bother you, then by all means, it is a deal considering what it originally sold for.

Reg

Kevin Beck

Stunt Coordinator
Reggie,..
For us less than mildly experienced with the expance of players out there these days,..Can you make any compairisons as to where the performance of the 1600 lies, in relation to some of the popular machines being sold? ie Panasonic RP82,.. RP91,Toshiba 4800,..Kenwood Sovereign units,...
Thanks >>>--->

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Kevin,

The Denon 1600 and the Panasonic RP-91 are both in the same price range. I believe the RP-91 has been discontinued, but was the most popular player on the forum for a year or so. The Denon 1600 does offer better audio/video quality than the RP-91, but the 1600 also has a few drawbacks. It is based on the now discontinued budget Panasonic RP-56 and has no coaxial output, only optical - which doesn't bother me. It is an attractive player, but weighs only about seven pounds - it is definitely no tank like the Denon 2800 and 3800's are. However, it does perform very well, and has Burr-brown 24/192 audio DAC's for analog DVD-A/CD playback. Thus, this player sounds very good for DVD-A and CD playback, which is likely the main advantage it has over the Panasonics. It also offers a low pass filter to the subwoofer for some limited bass management, the cheapest player I know to currently offer ANY form of bass management for DVD-A. The picture quality is outstanding and chroma bug free courtesy of Froudja DCDI de-interlacing which is also found in the Panny RP-82. The Kenwood Sovereign 5700 5 disc carousel DVD-A player is a SLIGHT step above the Denon 1600 in audio/video quality and NOW retails for 799.00. When it released over a year ago, the retail was 1,599.00 new. The Panny RP-82 is considered the new best buy of the HTF and can be had for under 225.00 online. The image is about the same as that of the 1600 from what I've seen, but I don't know if it's analog CD/DVD-A playback matches the 1600's. The Toshiba 4800 is also popular with some members, but I haven't really looked into its video capabilities, but it retails for a little less than the RP-82, thus it is direct competition for the Panny, and you will find more than a few threads here comparing the two units. I hope this has been helpful.

Reg

Kevin Beck

Stunt Coordinator
Reggie,..
Thank you very much,...I recently purchased the Panny RP82, and was a bit set back due to not getting the picture I was expecting. Don't get me wrong,..Its very impressive, but I was expecting, as I mentioned once before,..A WOW! reaction when I fired it up. I am coming out of a Pioneer DVD434, and untill recently, didn't know this was a "stay away from" unit. I had been running it interlaced due to the better picture, over the progressive sttings. Didn't understand why that was so, untill reading a ton of postings and reviews on the player. So when I fired up the new player,..expecting the world to stop for a minute,...and it didn't,..I figured my suspisions of having to spend megabucks, to get a truely WOW! image were true, and have been trying to sift through a lot of reviews and input on the more popular players, trying to make a dicision as to what to do,..spend the bucks, or just be happy with a wow picture, instead of a WOW! picture.
Thanks again,...>>>--->

BillPrescott

Auditioning
Just picked up the Denon 2800 MkII today..build date of May .. $699.. no chroma-bug to be found anywhere.. even w/the telltale toy story tests.... true..dvd-audio would be nice.. but I don't feel like spending the money to replace my favorite CD music
I chose it mainly because it's the cheapest player in the Denon line w/the SiI504 chipset... it's a wonderful picture.. film-like and fluid...

Cheers!

Bill Prescott
Portland Oregon

BillPrescott

Auditioning
BOY WAS I WRONG!

Sure enough... the little chroma bug pokes his ugly little head out in the 2800 MkII.. but it's not nearly as pronounced as I expected... sorry for misleading anyone!

Bill

Users who are viewing this thread