What's new

Let's talk Beer (1 Viewer)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
It has come to my attention that too many threads are being hijacked by beer posts. So, it is time for a stand alone beer thread. At least for Jack and I. So, let's continue....
You know, if St. Pauli Girl were shipped more carefully to the U.S.--and was thus more consistent--it would be in my Top Five of widely available brews. Do you like St. Pauli Girl, Ron? How about Grolsch?
Not a big fan of either. St. Pauli Girl is OK. I'd mainly drink that because of the fantasy's it produces when drinking and looking at the beer bottle:)
Grolsch is better. It was beer of choice thru High School...oops, I mean college.
If I am in the mood for something on the lighter side, I usually end up with a Widmer Bros. Sweet Betty or Ele River Brewing Co. CA. Blonde Ale, but on occasion MGD is also good, for power beering.
Peace Out~:D

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
I lived the majority of my life on the Mexican border, so my local brews were Dos Equis and Corona. Those were my cheap, couple o' buck beers. Imagine my surprise when the bill came in NYC......
Good thing is, I have a lot of choices here. I'd better stop writing and start sampling.:)

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Murphy's Irish stout(I prefer it to Guinness for it's more nutty aftertaste) & Sam Addams Boston Lager (it truly has a unique flavor or at the very least a flavor that I prefer) are my top favorites. Followed closely by Black & Tan, Sierra Nevada pale ale and Timmerman's Raspberry lambic (Beer fermented in Raspberry's! Love this stuff!).
Like Jefferson, Corona is a personal favorite too & IMO is better than most domestic beers.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I personally like for imports, Pilsner Urquel, Spaten Optimator, Guinness & Bass (of course), Boddington's.
Locals: Goose Island's Blonde Ale, Red Hook.
Really Locals: Sprecher's Amber, Port Washington's Amber, and my brother's "Black Sleep" stout ;)
But, I can't afford to drink these beers all the time, so, like Ron, I break down and get a case of MGD or Linenkugel's when funds are low.
P.S. Ron, glad to see a "heavy-hitter" like yourself is supporting a Wisconsin brewery. We're glad to have you on the team!

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Murphy's Irish stout
Yes, I agree, a very tasty stout.
Have you guys ever had Old Rasputin Imperial Russian Stout? A very good one, Rich and roasty with almost a hit of a vodka flavor. Good, good stout, but you need to be in the mood for this one.
I just broke the bank buying 3 Adcom amps so my beer fund it slowly building up again. This weekend I'm going on a major beer spending spree.....
Dave, your welcome. I love being on good beer teams:)

Mark Romero

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Romero
Lew, got a 750ml of the Red Chimay. Of course I like the Blue better and maybe even the White a little better. Love that Rochefort 10 though. I had a nice buzz.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
We need to keep the AHL within reasonable proportions, but this thread seems a good and interesting one to be continued. Just removed some of the old content.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Ohhhhhh Nooooooooooooooooooooo, did you archive it Cees?

Dave Morton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
I have to agree that Sprecher makes a mighty fine brew. I always make that my beer of choice when I head up to summerfest.

Last night I had a couple of Berghoff Bock's. It's a pretty good beer. I would say that there is an "alcohol" aftertaste that I'm not particularly fond of. It does seem to be a bit "thin" for a bock beer, but that is probably because of the apparent higher alcohol content.

JohnE

Supporting Actor
Have you guys ever had Old Rasputin Imperial Russian Stout?
I've only ever managed to find this a couple of times and both times on tap in a local bar. If memory serves it was an excellent Imperial Stout. Another pretty decent stout is Deschutes Obsidian Stout. Not as dry as a Guinness, but very tasty.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
ouch!...that has got to hurt :)
Old Rasputin Imperial Stout
Tremendous pour...darkest ebony with tan head. Smells of wood, molasses, chocolate and malts. Taste is all fire-roasted malt up front with middle notes of dates, molasses and gingerbread. Pinch of salt, followed by mild hop tones, with chocolate aftertaste and alcohol warming. Full-bodied, and creamy...Awesome, complex Imperial
I lost 100+ posts from that snip, now that's love of fine beer, here's to another 13 pages guys
:emoji_thumbsup:

JohnE

Supporting Actor
Damn Zen, that description of the Old Rasputin has got me drooling like Homer Simpson.;)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
...did you archive it Cees?
Sorry, but no, Ron.

Subjects in the AHL need to be copied by those interested in the subject themselves to their own PC's. It's not practical to make it part of our knowledge database.

Cees

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
Oh, no, Cees! Lightning bolt! Lightning bolt! Lightning bolt!
That's okay, we can just pretend we never posted our old comments and start fresh. :)
One of the great things about moving all over the Middle Atlantic is that I've been able to enjoy a really nice variety of local beers from Vermont to Virginia. When we lived in Manhattan, it was Brooklyn and Saranac. When we lived in Albany, I subsisted on many Saranac brews as well as Catamount, Long Trail Ale, and some weird locals. Now we're back in Richmond, where my beer odyssey began 10 years ago, and I'm back to some local favorites: Legend and Dominion, as well as the fantastic new Main Street Brewing Company and their fabulous "Work Beer." This is the best lager I've tasted in a while, and the packaging is hilarious (the label is like a time clock with comments like "You've earned it!"). It took a little bit of growing on me, but it's a regular staple in my fridge.
The problem is, Virginia is also loaded with superb wineries, and my wife and I are getting to be more wine-knowledgeable, so the beer consumption is down in our home.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
What's Up Andrew?
Since your in VA, Stone Brewery products are showing up there as we speak. I invite you (I'm sure Ron would agree) to try some of their product, including;
Arrogant Bastard
India Pale Ale,
and Ruination IPA
this brewery has been popular in this thread, along with many others that we will discuss in the next 15 pages
Damn Zen, that description of the Old Rasputin has got me drooling like Homer Simpson.
Thank you John, It is that good, real special.
This weekend was a weekend of fallbacks a few Sierra Nevada Pale Ale & Bass Pale Ales , been very busy sanding my 6 ft. French windows, prepping for sound proofing. So, you'll find my reviews of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and Bass Ale much more optimistic than my ability to drown out the sounds of a main street.
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale:
Nice when a brew so widely available hits the target. Pours a cloudy yellow/orange. Smells of citrus,grain and hop. Nice sweet malt, with a tangy citrus middle, and generous hop finish. Light-bodied, but a bit oily. Solid is the word that comes to mind when thinking of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. There is nothing overally fancy about this brew. It's growing popularity may scream fallback to the serious drinker but an overall "gem" it is. A tinge inconsistent at times, from bottle to bottle
Bass Pale Ale:
This has always turned back up in my refrigerator. It IS my fallback. My tastes have matured over the years, but you can get a 12pk for $8.99 sometimes. I'm never let down by this brew. Of course I know what to expect. Nice amber color, stored in the right bottle, nice smell(a bit floral), with a light medium body, and a smooth feel all the way to the end. An original citrus tangyness (grapefruit rind), clean mineral water taste. This accompanied by a conservative hop snap, which always leaves me refreshed. There are probably a 100 better brews, this just happens to be one of my buddies that shows up every now and then. Solid, reliable and versatile. A little sophisticated in flavor for the CBM (Coors/Bud/Miller) crowd I've noticed, which only adds to this brews class. A winner!

Michael Marklund

Stunt Coordinator
And voila! I'm back!
Took a hiatus again guys. Been busy with lots of stuff. Consumption after Seattle is down. Decided to drink less and start working out again. It's a WAF thing sort of.
WTF, where'd the thread go? Looked for it and found it gone. Got too big and now we have to start over. Guess this means a bunch of new reviews. Fine, here's notes from Seattle:
Ok, I love this city. Sort of SF w/o the traffic a # of people. Damn, I miss fresh seafood. Everything in AZ is frozen.:angry: ...Beer notes: Started at Pike Brewing's pub down by the market. Warmed up w/ Pike Pale. Not bad, but unremarkable. No where near the hops of say..Sierra Nevada. Would make a good daily beer for some but has that SamAdams/hallertau(?) hop profile. Not my fav, but ok. Got a glass of Lindeman's Framboise (rasberry) lambic for the wife. (btw: $6 for 8oz!!) Massive rasberries. Tastes like sweet rasberry jam w/o the seeds. Delicious and much better on draft than bottle. This was the beer I got my wife 4 years ago when she said she didn't like beer. Wife's reaction: "This is beer?" Enough said. As Pike is tied to Merchant Du Vin, they have a # of euro/belgian offerings. Orval was next. Zen, think Duvel here and you'll get the picture. Orval and Duvel are benchmark Belgian blondes. Enough said.
Next day brought back an old friend that I had at the hotel bar. Alaskan Amber. Truly an excellent Amber. Not as big/sweet as Fat Tire. More hops w/ a fantstic malt balance. I spent the night with this gem, paid for it the next day. Have not seen Alaskan down here in AZ. Used to get it in OR. Now I remember what I missed. Note: don't get my wrong here, I still prefer the massive hops of mega-IPAs or Brutal, ambers (decent ambers!) just make nice daily brews w/o dominating the pallate for hours.
Finished my time enjoying Fuller's ESB on draft. Absolutely one of my all time favorites and is just simply better on draft, especially if the bar sells a lot of it and the kegs are fresh. This is important w/ Fuller's on draft. There's a very marked taste difference as the keg ages. Anything over 2 weeks and it diminishes rapidly. But when it's fresh...:D :D
So Zen, how's the new digs? Ron, how's the new Green Room doing/coming along? Do we have an address for ALE? (Haven't checked my PMs-I tend to be bad at that.)
Nice to see the positive notes on Rasputin. I have always maintained that that is probably one of the all time best Russians and one of my top ten, if not top 5 beers.
Back online again,
MM

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Hey Michael, nice to see you back.
Ron, how's the new Green Room doing/coming along?
Coming along very nicely. Click on the link below to see a few construction pics I've posted. Demo on the current room begins this week.
I'll take the lead here and PM you my addy Michael. But, before you ship, let Zen and I know what you might like that we can send in return.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Michael, great to see you again! The new digs are awesome. The room is way live!, so I have a huge project on my hands.
Decided to drink less and start working out again
I've headed back to the gym also, before my winter coat comes. We don't drink enough beer for it to be a real factor though.
Michael, it was nice hearing about your journey. You mentioned Alaskan Amber . I am dying to try Alaskan Smoke Porter, which is very highly rated. Any of you try this?
Looks as if I'm going to Japan for work, it is almost inevitable now, with the Suzuki merger almost a done deal. What beers to try there?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks