Let's talk Beer

• Please log in to reply
710 replies to this topic

#21 of 711 Mark Romero

Mark Romero

Second Unit

• 391 posts

Posted September 24 2002 - 02:48 PM

Zen, Japan, huh? Where are you going? Most Japanese beer isn't very good IMHO. Some microbrews I have had are. I've just recently seen some good beer stores. Reasonable prices for Belgian ales. Also, for a pretty good beer, try the Ginga Kogen. There are 3 different varieties. They have a reindeer on the can. Probably the best macro beer in the country. Asahi Black is also pretty good.

#22 of 711 Michael Marklund

Michael Marklund

Stunt Coordinator

• 160 posts

Posted September 25 2002 - 01:47 AM

Zen,

Japan huh? It's pretty cool over there once you get to know little local tricks and where to go. If not, it's very confusing and very(!) expensive. Do not plan on eating beef or fruit unless you have access to a connection. This is the land of the $35.00 canteloupes. Beef can run $100.00 a pound for the good stuff. If possible, get to Akihabara (sp?). It's the giant electronics region/shopping area of Tokyo. (btw-I lived over there for 2 years and graduated high school from there.) Beer selection is slim. Kirin beats Asahi but that's not saying much. Neat thing though: beer is available in streetside vending machines! How long will you be there?

One other note from my trip that I forgot. At the PHX airport, while waiting for our flight, I had a couple of Sam Adams. I thought the taste different than usual and much smoother. More of cream presence than that distinctive hop profile. The malt seemed to balance out much better. Bartender at the airport, who actually knew something about beers, said it was their Oktoberfest. Not bad at all coming from a brewery I'm not fond of.Posted Image

Be good,
MM
Don't Panic!

#23 of 711 Zen Butler

Zen Butler

Producer

• 5,325 posts

Posted September 25 2002 - 03:46 AM

The Japan trip is not etched in stone. Neither is our merger with Suzuki. It would not be at least until Dec/Jan, but I will keep you posted.

Quote:
I had a couple of Sam Adams. I thought the taste different than usual and much smoother. More of cream presence than that distinctive hop profile. The malt seemed to balance out much better

Would the aliens please return the real Michael Marklund ? Posted Image

bladerunner-thumb-510x227-39115_zpse210a

#24 of 711 Michael Marklund

Michael Marklund

Stunt Coordinator

• 160 posts

Posted September 26 2002 - 02:03 AM

Zen,

Nyuck, nyuck, nyuck!

Believe it or not, I don't condemn an entire brewery just because their flagship/mainstay doesn't suit my taste. SamAdams was the only micro at the airport and I'll take just about any micro over B/C/M. What struck me as odd on this one was that distinctive SamAdams bite/aftertaste wasn't there. When the bartender told me it was their Oktoberfest, I had to give 'em credit for making something that wasn't all that bad (note: I didn't say it was great.)

Conversly, Rogue (making one of my favorites) also makes some I flat out don't like. I try to keep an open mind and will only judge a brewery/brewer by the individual products I have tried of theirs. Very rarely do I find one brewery that I enjoy everything they make. It is also rare to have a brewery that doesn't make at least one redeemable beer. Ok, there are exceptions and this comment only applies to micros. YMMV.Posted Image

Alaskan smoke porter?? Haven't had it. Smokes aren't my cup of tea either. It's just a flavor that I don't care for in my beer. Apricot and chili peppers don't float my boat either. A review from me on these types of beer would be useless given my bias away from them. Alaskan's amber is top notch though.

Ron, will check my PMs and flip you my addy for ALE.
MM
Don't Panic!

#25 of 711 Dave Morton

Dave Morton

Supporting Actor

• 754 posts

Posted September 26 2002 - 05:37 AM

I saw that the Sam Adams Octoberfest was out. I really enjoy that brew. I will be picking up a 12-pack this weekend!
------ Dave ------
------------------
MY HT

New Family Addition

#26 of 711 BrentJ

BrentJ

Second Unit

• 329 posts

Posted September 26 2002 - 11:36 AM

If you can find a fresh 6'er of Red Stripe. It's hard to beat!

#27 of 711 Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,485 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted September 26 2002 - 06:46 PM

I got back from Yellowstone/Grand Tetons a couple of weeks ago and in addition to the great hiking it was a pretty good beer experience as well.

The Snake River Brewing Co. in Jackson runs a great brewpub with a nice selection of goodies on tap. In our two visits we tried the Zonker Stout, the Hoback Hefeweizen, the Buffalo Brown Ale, and the A.K. Session (English-style ale). All were top notch (food wasn't bad, either).

The bar in our lodge in Yellowstone had a nice stock of local beers. One in particular became a favorite - Moose Drool Brown Ale from Big Sky Brewery in Montana.

Unfortunately none of these seem to be available in Texas. Posted Image So it looks like I may be ordering beer over the Internet for the first time. Posted Image

Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.

* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.

* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.

#28 of 711 Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt

Producer

• 3,813 posts

Posted September 27 2002 - 03:37 AM

You can't have a beer thread without a canadian in it so I'm setting that straight nowPosted Image

My personal fav's are Newcastle brown ale, Sleemans honey brown ale, Big Rock grasshopper is a nice beer but their traditiional is more to my taste...if its hot and the beers cold Labatt lite isn't to bad either.

but its hard to best a pint of newcastle from the tap at a british pub

#29 of 711 Zen Butler

Zen Butler

Producer

• 5,325 posts

Posted September 27 2002 - 03:59 AM

Quote:
You can't have a beer thread without a canadian in it so I'm setting that straight now

Well, hello Andrew!...You can have your Labatt's , which IMO is horrid. The one Canadian brewery that could challenge any in the world though, is Unibroe , this brewery makes class act brews, one notably is Trois Pistoles , which can go head to head with any Trappist Belgian Strong. I think the Canadians do make some good brews, but more on the micro level. Check out Unibroe.
I can agree with the Newcastle Nut Brown on tap is okay. 5-6 years ago even, it was good in the bottle also. This is a brew that has lost its way, with the sugar content through the roof and a body that has thinned a bit, along with Bass Pale Ale and others as their mass market popularity increases.

Quote:
I saw that the Sam Adams Octoberfest was out
Okay time to try it

#30 of 711 Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt

Producer

• 3,813 posts

Posted September 27 2002 - 04:07 AM

Quote:
. I think the Canadians do make some good brews, but more on the micro level. Check out Unibroe.

I think that can be said of any country. I mean you wouldnt want me to judge american beer on the "big" names would you? There's a lot to be said for smaller micro's that don't have to deal with pastuerizing their products.

#31 of 711 Zen Butler

Zen Butler

Producer

• 5,325 posts

Posted September 27 2002 - 04:40 AM

Quote:
I think that can be said of any country. I mean you wouldnt want me to judge american beer on the "big" names would you?

Right you are my friend. I would hate to judge any country on the merits of their macro-swill. Which is why I gave mad props to one of the best breweries in the world, Unibroe, which would be my guage for Canadian brew. Posted Image

#32 of 711 Holadem

Holadem

Lead Actor

• 8,972 posts

Posted September 27 2002 - 04:55 AM

I am a beer lover, but have not been very adventurous about it. Let me tell you what I like and dislike, perhaps you will know what to recommend.

My beer of choice is Heineken. I don't believe it will ever be dethroned as the greatest brew on the planet. As someone said earlier, it is my fall back beer, the sure bet, the no nonsense brew, the one that never dissapoints.

Now, I like the following a LOT: Bass Ale, LowenBrau, Sapporo (discored recently at a sushi bar).

I tolerate Corona and Bud.

So, what do you think? Posted Image

--
Holadem

#33 of 711 Stefan A

Stefan A

Second Unit

• 400 posts

Posted September 28 2002 - 12:32 AM

Posted Image

#34 of 711 Zen Butler

Zen Butler

Producer

• 5,325 posts

Posted September 28 2002 - 12:58 PM

Quote:
and the guest of honor will be a keg of Paulaner Oktoberfest

I am assuming you are talking of the very tasty Paulaner Octoberfest Amber Marzen , which is very fine.
Paulaner is a very old brewery in Munich, and little by little have aquired fallen breweries, to become the largest in Munich. Their front runner would definitely be their Salvator Doppelbock , which is amazing, if a bit strong. A nice cold weathered brew. Enjoy that keg

#35 of 711 Greg Z

Greg Z

Stunt Coordinator

• 110 posts

Posted October 13 2002 - 10:34 AM

I'm gonna slip right in here with a question. I'm trying to get a list together of all the imported (German) 5 liter mini kegs are available in the U.S. I've seen a lot of DAB, Grolsh, Bitburger, Becks, et al. Ive asked my local store, but they were not much help. "Tell me what you want and I'll try to get it" Sheesh! I WANT it ALL! Posted Image I've listed a few german web sites just to give you an idea of what is available in Europe. Any help would be swell!Posted Image
A personal collector's site. Great retailer site! Try here for translation.

#36 of 711 Stefan A

Stefan A

Second Unit

• 400 posts

Posted October 13 2002 - 12:41 PM

I have gotten Warsteiner in this sort of container.

#37 of 711 Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted October 14 2002 - 09:32 AM

I am not a German beer fan so I have nothing to offer to the table on those you listed Greg.

But, I did have a great Friday night at the Liquor Warehouse. Stocked up the Beer Fridge with;

Moylan's Double IPA
Widmer Bros. Heffeweizen
Lagunitas IPA
Flying Dog Amber
Firestone Pale Ale

*Some others as well, but they escape me as of right now.

I really enjoyed the Lagunitas IPA. Crisp and clean, with a slight citrus flavor, very hoppy with a solid malt body. A lighter brewed beer, not very complex which makes for a very good hot day brew.

Peace Out~Posted Image
You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

#38 of 711 Zen Butler

Zen Butler

Producer

• 5,325 posts

Posted October 14 2002 - 11:12 AM

Quote:
I really enjoyed the Lagunitas IPA.

Ron, I knew you would like this. Yes, it is a very simple beer. Nothing crazy, but so clean and a nice amount of hops eh? Lagunitas has turned into one my current faves.

My LW run this weekend

Ruination IPA 2-22oz. bombers
Bear Republic Racer 5 IPA 1-22oz. bomber
Stone IPA 6 pk.
Stone Levitation Ale - 1 16oz. sample bottle

First, Stone Levitation Ale , with the praise of all other Stone products, I was happy to receive a free sample of its Levitation Ale . Well, one word....yuck!
It is a very complex brew for a 4.4% lighter ale. In comparison to other lighter brews, this one boasts a deeper color than most. Hints of butterscotch, bisquit and well more butter to its light-medium body. Sound good right? No! This brew is a train wreck, with all the promising ingredients and absolutely no resolve. The bitter finish is very similar to Samuel Adams , and I don't think that Stone has implemented hallertau to its inventory. In a nutshell, fine ingredients, but a finish the equivalent of dirty socks.
Ron- with winter coming the Stone Double Bastard is coming, should be around in a few weeks. Supposed to be a great 10% ale, perfect for colder weather. Watch for that one.

#39 of 711 JohnE

JohnE

Supporting Actor

• 586 posts

Posted October 14 2002 - 11:33 AM

I tried the Lagunitas only recentely myself. I was damned impressed. Very good IPA! I hope my local market continues stocking it.

They haven't really been very adventureous lately and have only been keeping the more well known stuff on hand. THis forces me to drive across town if I'm looking for anything interesting. Pisses me off! I'm lazy, I know.Posted Image

#40 of 711 Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted January 13 2003 - 08:54 AM

I'm back from the beer cellarPosted Image

Alright, just got back from a beer stock-up run this weekend, went a little crazy on the IPA's.

The List
Stone Levitation Ale
Lagunitas IPA
Bear Republic Hop Rod Rye
Stone Ruination IPA
Red Hook IPA
Moylan's Double IPA
..and some Full Sail Amber

As for the Stone: Levitation Ale. Pours a light copper color with a nice frothy head. The nose is big and hoppy with a dry bitter body and a clean hoppy finish. Brewing in at a low 4.4% ABV, it is a winner. A refreshing brew. My first impression on this a while back was not so good, but this time around I enjoyed it much more.

On to the Hop Rod Rye. Reviewed this before, pours a golden amber with a mild floral nose with a hint of a pine needle type aroma (didn't pick up on the pine before). A hoppy beer with a bitter finish. For a rye it is a bit on the mellow side which makes it easily drinkable. Brew's in at a wopping 8.0% abv.

Had to pick up some more Legunitas IPA as you can read from my post above, a good one.

Peace Out~Posted Image
You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

Back to After Hours Lounge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow