-

Photo
DVD Reviews

"Raise the Red Lantern" DVD Review (with screen captures)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 Gary Tooze

Gary Tooze

Producer

• 3,060 posts

Posted September 19 2002 - 12:18 AM

Sorry, if this subject excited some, this is a review of the 1998 DVD release of the ERA Home Video HK DVD of Zhang Yimou's "Raise the Red Lantern". You can access it
(and the screen captures/bit rate etc.) by CLICKING HERE

ERA are also the owners of Zhang's "Lifetimes" (aka "To Live") and the DVD quality is the same as this one.

This is simply ridiculous! A film of this stature and this is the only DVD version available? (although I have heard of an even worse one - Pan and Scan and no English subs). This appears to be a port from Laser Disc. It is very blurry and the double sub-titles are distracting. There is no definition or contract in the image. The sound is surprisingly not bad at all. The colors are not too bad either, but more credit to Zhang Yimou, as most of his films are this luminescent. There are no Extras, no Chapters on this DVD. It is brighter than a VHS, but not even as sharp. I am glad I bought it, just to see the film, but this is screaming out for a top notch Criterion-style release. Hopefully soon and we can put this mess behind us.
1/5 .

Cheers,

#2 of 10 SteveGon

SteveGon

Executive Producer

• 12,267 posts

Posted September 19 2002 - 02:03 AM

This is definitely a shame! Raise the Red Lantern deserves the deluxe treatment...

#3 of 10 Michael Caicedo

Michael Caicedo

Second Unit

• 437 posts

Posted September 19 2002 - 03:10 AM

Join the club of broken-hearts. I'd love to see this film in a Criterion version.
Mike, FL

#4 of 10 Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke

Screenwriter

• 2,249 posts

Posted September 19 2002 - 07:00 AM

This is just sad. With the two most recent releases of Yimou films on DVD given at least "good" treatment, it's a shame that arguably his best film would get such a shoddy one. Still, I love the film and will probably buy anyways because even for such renowned foreign directors as Yimou, rereleases are few and far between.

Bruce
The Mads are calling

#5 of 10 Joel C

Joel C

Screenwriter

• 1,635 posts

Posted September 19 2002 - 10:59 AM

MGM holds the US rights, so I'm sure we can expect it before too long. They did a good job with Eat Drink Man Woman, after all.
Joel
woemcats@hotmail.com
"Why I laugh?"

#6 of 10 Gary Tooze

Gary Tooze

Producer

• 3,060 posts

Posted September 19 2002 - 12:09 PM

Quote:
MGM holds the US rights, so I'm sure we can expect it before too long. They did a good job with Eat Drink Man Woman, after all.

Seville Pictures in Canada did a better job...

http://207.136.67.23...ompare/EDMW.htm

Cheers,

#7 of 10 Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR

Producer

• 3,596 posts

Posted September 21 2002 - 06:35 AM

I love this film also & would kill for a really well done version.Posted Image
Cogito, Ergo Sum
My DVD Library / The BLOOD is the Life!
Pioneer Elite PRO PDP-111FD - 2/28/2009

#8 of 10 Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR

Producer

• 3,596 posts

Posted April 17 2003 - 08:47 AM

Quote:
MGM holds the US rights, so I'm sure we can expect it before too long
And we fans continue to wait for a decent DVD of this excellent film. Thank heaven I have a LD of this film.
Cogito, Ergo Sum
My DVD Library / The BLOOD is the Life!
Pioneer Elite PRO PDP-111FD - 2/28/2009

#9 of 10 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,149 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted April 17 2003 - 09:18 AM

Since MGM has the rights to it, I bet we see a "World Films" release in the not too distant future.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#10 of 10 ShaunS

ShaunS

Stunt Coordinator

• 163 posts

Posted April 17 2003 - 04:35 PM

I was pretty surprised to find Yimou's recent film "Happy Times" for rent at the local Blockbuster. I was even more suprised to see it for sale in their "Previously Viewed" section for a mere $14.99 CDN the other day. An absolutely fantastic film, and a pretty nice transfer too. Although it says 5.1, I don't think I heard anything beyond 2.0.

What's the latest on the upcoming "Hero" special edition?

ShaunS

Forum Nav Content I Follow