Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

The Sting Documentary "Bring on the Night"

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 Rollie

Rollie

Stunt Coordinator

• 218 posts

Posted September 17 2002 - 10:37 AM

After reading the Michael Apted article/interview over at The Digital Bits, http://www.thedigita....interview.html, I felt compelled to ask about the status of this gem. I have not seen this movie in years, since I believe the VHS is long out of print. This could be a great DVD with Apted and Sting involved in the process.

For those who don't know, the film covers Sting's departure from The Police and the story of his first "solo" album. I use the word solo loosely because there are many other talented people involved in the process, such as the great Branford Marsailles. The movie also contains a great torch rendition of Message In A Bottle.

I'm not sure who has the rights to this one, but if it made its way to DVD, I would not hesitate to purchase it.

Thanks!
"Some people play hard to get, I play hard to want."

#2 of 4 Mikah Cerucco

Mikah Cerucco

Screenwriter

• 2,462 posts

Posted September 21 2002 - 04:14 AM

I agree. I'd even pay Criterion prices if that is the only alternative (as long as it is Close Captioned). You're right in everything you said. There are many good (blues/jazz) musicians featured. Issues a band faces are discussed. Trudy had their baby, which plays well against the song "Russians". But above all, you just get to see a real musician plying his trade.

I had an old Beta III tape of this, which I dubbed to VHS-EP, and ended up capturing to VCD... So at least I have something. Still, I was quite disappointed to find out recently that I missed an airing on AMC. Hopefully they'll air it again and I'll catch it.
Studios, caption your internet streams.

#3 of 4 Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm

Lead Actor

• 6,885 posts

Posted October 11 2002 - 11:44 AM

I recently caught this fabulous concert movie on Trio on DirecTV and made a Super-VHS copy. I would replace that with a DVD in a heartbeat. This is a great music movie, IMO one of the best. I even have the movie poster on my wall!
Philip Hamm
Moderator Emeritus

#4 of 4 Mikah Cerucco

Mikah Cerucco

Screenwriter

• 2,462 posts

Posted October 12 2002 - 09:07 AM

Quote:
Philip Hamm said: I recently caught this fabulous concert movie on Trio on DirecTV and made a Super-VHS copy. I would replace that with a DVD in a heartbeat. This is a great music movie, IMO one of the best. I even have the movie poster on my wall!

OK, but when are you going to make a (S)VCD out of it and post it so we can all enjoy it! Posted Image There's something really wrong when those of us perfectly willing to pay to enjoy a product CAN'T.

At least I got someone to get White Nights for me. These gems shouldn't be lost. Posted Image
Studios, caption your internet streams.