What's new

Does anybody know the frequency response of the Bose 701 series IV speakers?? (1 Viewer)

HectorB

Auditioning
Just purchased these but couldn't find any information on the frequency response. They sound great, I played the plane crash scene of Cast Away and it blew me away! Thanks for any responses!!
popcorn.gif

HectorB

Auditioning
Erik, Can you please elaborate on your UH-OH? That really didn't help me out. You only got me worried. =)

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Hector,
Take those things back, man! Do yourself a favor.
Instead try Paradigm, B&W, PSB, Tannoy, Acoustic Energy, Mirage, NHT, Definitive Tech., heck even Polk, etc. They are SO much better speakers for the money.
Dan

Gil D

Supporting Actor
Bose does'nt provide any frequency response specs on their products. I had a pair of 701's before upgrading to B&W and Sonus faber. They are one of the better Bose speakers out there. With a good amplifier they put out some prodigous bass especially with the dual 8" woofs per tower. I would venture to guess that the frequency response goes down to about 40Hz. I have no idea about accuracy. Sonically they will not provide the detail, clarity and imaging of some of the more refined speakers. NHT SuperOnes , Paradigm Studio20, and B&W 600 series will walk all over the Bose in this regard for less money.
The nice thing about the Bose is that I recaptured over 70% of my initial cost over four years later. The five year warranty is also transferrable. The bad thing about the 701's are that they were designed for stereo (everywhere of course) and if you need a center channel speaker, the Bose VCS10 is a joke.
If you like the Bose sound you may enjoy the PSB Silvers but they are a bit more money.
Take care,
Gil

EricK

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
Hector,
sorry I couldn't give you more info...I just knew that people here would jump on ya for buying those things...unfortunately you'd be best to take them bad boys back from whence they came.
Unfortunately, Bose speakers cost way too much $$$$$$$$ to justify purchasing them. For the same money you can get a much, much better speaker.
I would venture to say that Bose has the good fortune of "brand name recognition" and thats about it!
I started my home theater years ago with Bose, because I thought they were a top speaker. Once I matured and learned more, and listened more...I came to find the truth. Now I am a proud Klipsch man. You'll find many good comments on Paradigms, PSB's, Def Tech's, and many other brands. My advice...go out and listen to all those and if you still like the Bose, then keep 'em.
I don't believe you will find too much techie info on the Bose lines either. Good luck in finding that info.
Eric.
------------------
Creative Audio Consultants, inc. Installs, calibrations, consultations.
DVD List:http://www.dvdtracker.com/~EricK
AOL IM screen name : EDKalet6

HectorB

Auditioning
Thanks for all the input! I am definitely taking them back to the store that I bought them from!! Does anybody have any good reasons I can give to the store????? Can I just flat out tell them that I didn't like how they sound?? If anybody could help me out with a good strategy to get my money back (besides ebay) it would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks, again!

EricK

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
Hector:
Where did you buy them? Local shop or superstore? Most places will take them back within 30 days with full packing, etc.
I would say that you just didn't like the way they sounded in your home. Leave it at that.
Good luck, Eric.

HectorB

Auditioning
I just bought them this Sunday, June 17th, in a local store. I paid about $731 with taxes. I already started doing some research, and I am looking at the Acoustic REsearch AR-9. It seems to be popular and at a very reasonable price. Any thoughts on these speakers? anybody?? Thanks for the continuing support in this crisis!!
popcorn.gif

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Hector, you're a good sport for taking the criticism and acting on it. Bose is the poorest performance/value buy in speakers. A large percent of the Bose selling price is for their huge marketing/advertising expenses (which Bose does a superb job at, BTW).
Just tell the store manager that you do not like the sound quality of the speakers in your home environment. If he runs a customer-oriented shop, he'll refund the money. Question: what do you really think of the sound? If there is not enough bass, too much treble, unnatural sounding voices, whatever - just politely explain that to the manager.
I'm sure other members will give you several alternate speaker manufacturer suggestions if you'll post your budget limit.
Hang in there, and thanks for asking for advice :)

Jeff Blair

Second Unit
Hector,
For the $750 or so you will be getting back, you can get all 3 front speakers. I also was a "Boseie" years ago. And, sad to say, they are still my rear speakers. But, I am replacing all of them with Paridigm. I have Moniter 3's for the front. And, a CC-370 for the center. I will be getting some Mini-Moniters for the rear, as soon as I can. But, listen to a couple of diffrent sets. Not, just Paradigm. I know that NHT makes some in about the same price range. Just try to do a side by side comparason. I have found out that if you go from store to store, you might forget how the frist set sounded.
------------------
Jeff Blair
A little boy asked his father, "Daddy, how much does it cost to get
married?" And the father replied, "I don't know son, I'm still paying.
My DVD's

Eric Bass

Second Unit
Former Bose owner here too. It was actually an American TV rep who got me to switch by doing an A/B comparison and showing me the difference in quality between the cones of the Bose and other brands. Needless to say that guy got a sale.
------------------
Here are your messages: You have 20 mins to move your car, you have 10 mins, your car has been impounded, your car has been crushed into a cube, you have 20 min to move your cube.

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
surprised noone here has said the famous Bose quote yet:
"No highs? No lows? It blows? Must be BOSE!"

Steve T

Stunt Coordinator
If I was looking to buy loudspeakers I would check out the Axiom line (www.axiomaudio.com). The Millennia M50ti look to be a pretty good buy, and I've read some good reviews on all their speakers. Only trouble is you can't audition them first, but they do provide a 30 day complete satisfaction guarantee.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
I would love to hear about what you get, and what you think of the differance. Beware though not to fall into a trap. You bought Bose becuase you heard they were good. Now you are returning your Bose because you heard that they werent that good. When you buy new speakers make sure you buy some thing YOU think sounds good not what you heard is good.
------------------
My DVD "Profile"
Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks