Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Universal focus on back catalog in 2003

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
158 replies to this topic

#141 of 159 Craig: Mclaren

Craig: Mclaren

Second Unit

• 374 posts

Posted June 15 2003 - 02:36 AM

I'm talking about the UK. Universal released a new Hitchcock collection in May. I may be daft but I'm not stupid!! Posted Image

#142 of 159 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,034 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted June 15 2003 - 02:40 AM

Ah, that does make more sense then. Glad to hear you aren't in a time warp or something. Posted Image

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#143 of 159 Travis_W

Travis_W

Supporting Actor

• 531 posts

Posted June 15 2003 - 02:58 AM

All I want to know is- where's Howard the Duck ?Posted Image
I am Jack's empty signature bar.

#144 of 159 Craig: Mclaren

Craig: Mclaren

Second Unit

• 374 posts

Posted June 15 2003 - 03:18 AM

Howard the Duck would be a class DVD. Any news? Posted Image

#145 of 159 Bob Graham

Bob Graham

Supporting Actor

• 506 posts

Posted June 15 2003 - 03:19 AM

"Very hard to find on VHS and I don't believe there was ever a Laserdisc, so a DVD edition is, in my opinion, long over due for this film. It's Don Siegel - one of the few Siegel films not on DVD. And one of his very best - dare I say it: better than Dirty Harry."

CHARLEY VARRICK was released by Universal on laserdisc as a part of a double feature with MADIGAN.

I totally agree with Gordon's assessment of the film (I have the poster in my office and it has one of my all-time favorite taglines: "When he runs out of dumb luck, he always has genius to fall back on") it's one of Siegel's best and is long overdue for a DVD release. Have to say, though there's a lot of great Siegel films that aren't available on DVD (and aren't likely to be released because they're too "obscure"): RIOT IN CELL BLOCK 11, CRIME IN THE STREETS, THE LINE-UP, and most importantly, BABY FACE NELSON.

#146 of 159 Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted June 15 2003 - 04:13 AM

I agree with Gordon & Bob.

Charley Varrick is an excellent film & is long overdue for a DVD release. Smart Crime/Thriller's like this just don't get made very often these days.

It's depressing that films like this (one of many great films) remain in their vaults while I see some of the crap that does get released.

While I don't think all of their 2003 catalog releases are crap, I do think they're scraping the bottom of the barrel by focusing primarily on the 80's/90's.

A rather disappointing output considering their claim of releasing 115 catalog titles between Jan - June '03. Posted Image
Death before Streaming!

#147 of 159 Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy

Producer

• 3,530 posts

Posted June 15 2003 - 06:55 AM

Quote:
CHARLEY VARRICK was released by Universal on laserdisc as a part of a double feature with MADIGAN.
Interesting. Good widescreen transfers?

Madigan is on DVD - is the transfer good?

Coogan's Bluff is on DVD from Universal in Britain, and is has an fairly good anamorphic transfer.

Gordy

#148 of 159 Steve_Knutzen

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter

• 1,317 posts

Posted June 15 2003 - 07:50 AM

I'm glad they're finally putting out Fletch Lives and most of their re-releases seem to be quality (Although I'm dissapointed in the specs for the new Animal House and I'm still waiting on Weird Science and The Breakfast Club).
I just want to know when we'll see Going Berserk, The People Under The Stairs, and They Live SE.
Somebody there should take a break from working on the Mega-Super-Most Nudity-timate Edition of American Pie to take a look at what's in the vaults.
"Oh I can hold my breath for a long, long time!"

http://www.dvdprofil....s=TromaFiend02

#149 of 159 Alistair_M

Alistair_M

Second Unit

• 276 posts

Posted June 15 2003 - 11:25 AM

I'm hoping for new versions of Psycho 2 and Psycho 3 - anyone know if they are in production?

#150 of 159 Robert Floto

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor

• 739 posts

Posted June 16 2003 - 04:22 AM

Quote:
I'm hoping for new versions of Psycho 2 and Psycho 3 - anyone know if they are in production?

Count me in on that! I've been waiting for an OAR version of Psycho 2 for a very long time.

I'd also like an OAR version of The Shadow as well, please...
Movies I would purchase instantly if they were available in their correct aspect ratio:
Death Trap, Innocent Blood, The Shadow, and Remo Williams

#151 of 159 Walt Riarson

Walt Riarson

Supporting Actor

• 809 posts

Posted June 16 2003 - 05:03 AM

And what about an SE of Prince of Darkness? Carpenter would do a commentary if asked. He's said so many times.
"My advice to young film-makers is this: Don't follow trends. Start them!" -- Frank Capra

#152 of 159 Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter

• 1,568 posts

Posted June 16 2003 - 05:39 AM

Carpenter has recorded a commentary with Peter Jason for the UK disc of Prince of Darkness.

#153 of 159 Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy

Producer

• 3,530 posts

Posted June 16 2003 - 05:49 AM

Walt, Carpenter has indeed recorded a commentary for Prince Of Darkness - for the Momentum region 2 edition. He is joined on the commentary by Peter Jason. It's a pretty good commentary.

I doubt he would do another commentary for the film, so I guess that you'll either have to wait for Momentum to license the commentary to a US distributor or order the region 2 edition.

Excellent transfer and Dolby stereo sound. Posted Image

Gordy

#154 of 159 Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy

Producer

• 3,530 posts

Posted June 16 2003 - 05:51 AM

Agh, Jon! Posted Image

Ya beat me by ten stinkin' minutes, ya sunuvvagun! Posted Image

Do you have the They Live region 2? It too is a high-quality, value-for-money DVD. Posted Image

Momentum's, The Changeling, with Medak's commentary is also superb. Posted Image

Gordy

#155 of 159 oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted June 16 2003 - 06:31 AM

Gordy

I also have They Live, absolutely fantastic version

Posted Image
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#156 of 159 John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,403 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted June 16 2003 - 06:42 AM

They Live, Prince of Darkness, Starman (the latter also has a Carpenter commentary with Jeff Bridges) are all excellent R2 releases.

---
So many films, so little time...
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#157 of 159 Mark_TS

Mark_TS

Screenwriter

• 1,700 posts

Posted June 16 2003 - 07:59 AM

I cannot believe they botched the chance to reissue BRAZIL anamorphic-they would have sold many thousands instead of just a few hundred.

I would like to see DUNE, either as an SE, or even just a plain 16x9 reissue.
And of course, CHARLEY VARRICK...

as well as new 16x9 editions of:
THE DEER HUNTER
Freidkins SORCERER
etc etc...
The Official HTF 'elitist' lol....
"War is God's way of teaching Americans Geography"-Ambrose Bierce

#158 of 159 Mike Sutton

Mike Sutton

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted June 16 2003 - 08:34 AM

Personally, rather than "Schindler's List" which I don't much like, I'd love to see "Sugarland Express", "Duel" and the TV movie "Something Evil" from the Spielberg back catalogue. An improved edition of the undervalued "1941" would be very nice as well.

But the one I'm waiting for is a proper edition of Robert Aldrich's glorious "Ulzana's Raid"; easily one of the ten best westerns ever made and a milestone in the genre for it's unpatronising and complex attitude to the 'Cavalry versus Indians' plotline. Let's get Alan Sharp to record a commentary and include both Aldrich's cut and the Burt Lancaster edit. I want an OAR edition with the original mono soundtrack. Surely not too much to ask...
"If Harry hears you call him Harry one more time, he's gonna make you eat that cat."

Mike Sutton
Reviewer for DVD Times

#159 of 159 Mike Sutton

Mike Sutton

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted June 16 2003 - 08:36 AM

They Live, Prince of Darkness, Starman (the latter also has a Carpenter commentary with Jeff Bridges) are all excellent R2 releases.

Seconded ! In fact I thought "Prince of Darkness" looked better than it ever has done - an undervalued movie with a good edge of Nigel Kneale about it (even if the great man wasn't happy about the script being credited to Martin Quatermass).
"If Harry hears you call him Harry one more time, he's gonna make you eat that cat."

Mike Sutton
Reviewer for DVD Times

Forum Nav Content I Follow