What's new

Buyers beware: the R1/R4 version of Monsters, Inc. is NOT widescreen (1 Viewer)

Javier_Huerta

Supporting Actor
Which is a terrible, terrible loss. It's exactly the same presentation as the R1 version, but it has 2 added languages (Portuguese and Spanish). It seems they had to lose the widescreen presentation in order to gain the extra languages.
I'm completely saddened by the fact I bought this version. I'll have to buy mine from the States...
DARN!!! :thumbsdown:

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Your subject is a tad confusing, so let me make sure we have this right:
R1 version has both WS and FS versions in the same box:

R4 version, you say, removes the WS version to make room for Spanish and Portuguese languages. Presumably for the Mexico/South America versions, rather than the Australia/New Zealand versions.
:rolleyes:Greeeeeeeat. :frowning:

James Reader

Screenwriter
A quick addendum to David's post: The Canadian R1 version of Monsters, Inc. does not have the full frame version (but does still include the proper widescreen version).

Luis S

Supporting Actor
I saw a R1/R4 at my local b&m last week.Was that a mistake then?I couldnt believe it! I was just about to buy it when I noticed it!:eek: Now ill just wait till tuesday I guess...

Javier_Huerta

Supporting Actor
Sorry about the subject line. It is indeed confusing.
The R1/R4 version is NOT for sale in the US. It's basically identical to the R1 version except for the box: this version is white, and has Boo on the cover.
But what's inside is what counts, and this release is the worst Disney DVD I have ever seen. Disc 2 is even worse than Disc 1, actually. Disc 1 at least has the 4:3 full screen release (meaning instead of black bars, you do get additional content on the top and bottom of the screen, just like A Bug's Life). But all the extras are dubbed in spanish and portuguese. And they didn't even bother to eliminate the english dialogue on the bonus disc - which means you get to listen to the bonus materials' in softly spoken english and in spanish or portuguese at a higher volume level at the same time. It's simply the worst dubbing I've ever seen in any medium. It's so bad the extras are unwatchable.
Seriously, I advise anyone thinking about buying the R1/R4 release of this disc to avoid like the plague and to get the R1 version instead. It's so bad it makes me want to return it.

James Reader

Screenwriter
It's simply the worst dubbing I've ever seen in any medium. It's so bad the extras are unwatchable.
This is what has been done to the supplements on the French (and German) Sleeping Beauty 2 disc set. It's most annoying for somebody like me who cannot speak any French to be teased with the English soundtrack, but only able to make out 1 in every 5 or so words and not have the option to change audio track!
So I sit there like an idiot, straining my ears just to try and make out what people are saying ;)

YANG

Screenwriter
I've just received my copy of R3 release of MONSTERS INC. which carries only widescreen version of the film.No fullscreen option for this R3 release but comes with an option of ENGLISH DTS 5.1 surr.
Disc 2 contents,i believe is that same as R1 release.I have noticed that the disc 2 is pressed by "CITREK CA."

nousername

Supporting Actor
Disc 1 at least has the 4:3 full screen release (meaning instead of black bars, you do get additional content on the top and bottom of the screen, just like A Bug's Life).
I'm confused. Does this mean Monsters, Inc. is hard or open matte? Or was it recomposed for 4:3 like A Bug's Life?

Just curious...

Johnny G

Supporting Actor
Jesus, James
I never knew Sleeping Beauty had been released anywhere yet. I just searched and found this here but it says no more available.
Which is better, the German or the French and where can I get it?
Needless to say it must be 2.35:1 Anamorphic with English Dolby Digital 5.1!

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
Is the Canadian R1 a higher bit rate than the US R1? I've noticed some nasty compression artifacts in the US version. You can easily see them in Waternooses red vest.

YANG

Screenwriter
The bitrate for the R3 version is approx. 750kbps. My player do not show the exact figure(a PHILIPS DVD951,which shows only little bars).
The most logical way to judge it as 750kbps is by looking at the multiple language tracks that was squeezed into disc1.

YANG

Screenwriter
Thank you ENRIQUE for the link.
Unfortunately i do not have a DVD-ROM drive with the computer.
I will take note of the address you give to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks