What's new

Panic Room SuperBit = weird new packaging (1 Viewer)

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
I just saw the new Panic Room SuperBit due out this Tues and noticed an interesting new packaging I've never seen on a major DVD release before.

It appears to be a fold out digipak with a slipcover (similar to Fight Club, Pulp Fiction SE, Unbreakable, etc), only difference is it's about 1/3 as thick. It's a very very thin, flat looking case, even thinner than a CD-jewel case. It would take two or three of them to equal the thickness of a normal keepcase. I'm not sure if I like the design, but it is original.

MattHR

Screenwriter
It sounds like the new Alpha "NexCase" inside a cardboard sleeve. I've seen a prototype and I don't like it. It's very thin, and it's "sealed" with a plastic clip that must be cut with a knife or scissors to open. The benefits are the slim size, and the added retail security from tampering or theft. I've been wondering when one of the major studios would begin to use this new case.

Jeremy Conrad

Supporting Actor
It sounds like the new Alpha "NexCase" inside a cardboard sleeve. I've seen a prototype and I don't like it. It's very thin, and it's "sealed" with a plastic clip that must be cut with a knife or scissors to open. The benefits are the slim size, and the added retail security from tampering or theft. I've been wondering when one of the major studios would begin to use this new case.
That's not the case.

It's just a slimmer version of the X-Men case.

Steven_Ma

Agent
I personally just wish they would all use a regular plastick case. God all these diffrent kinds of casses annoy me can't they just make them all amaray casses for single dvd's and have the thick kind ( id4 & die hard etc.) for 2 disk sets. I like all my casses to line up perfectly on my dvd rack.I can see diffrent kinds for season box sets and 3-4disk dvd's but they are not the norm.

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter

Maybe, although it's A LOT slimmer than the X-Men case, and it uses a different, very thin cardboard (not that puffy blue/silver kind from X-Men). It almost has a plastic look and feel to it, although I didn't see one without the shrink wrap. I could easily pick up 14-15 of them at a time with one hand (holding by the spines).

Craig Sherman

Stunt Coordinator
Are you sure it is cardboard and not plastic? Consider, if you will, the Universal Ultimate Editions, which use very thin plastic, upon which is glued the ever-more-popular Digipack tray. Is that ruled out?

Back on my meds,

CS

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter

I looked pretty closely and I could swear it was a very thin cardboard. And the case is much slimmer than the Universal Ultimate Editions.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
If it isn't too obtrusive-such as trying to line a snapper up along side a keepcase-I won't mind it much. I have yet to run into a durability issue with any DVD I have so that, right now, isn't something that worries me.

Bruce

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I don't like this thing either, but it looks like it might become popular with studios: Grease uses a VERY similar case as well...

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
No problem here since I'm waiting on the SE of this film anyway.

I wonder what that package will be? I assume 2 discs which would have to make it wider than this version, one would think.

Michael Lee

Supporting Actor
It is definitely mostly cardboard. The only thing plastic is the sheet that actually holds the disc itself..and that appears to be attached to the cardboard by 8 shots of glue.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Hey Seth, any word on when the SE is due out? I really liked this film and if it's too long (like a year or more) I just might buy this and then give it as a hand-me-down later when the SE comes out. Of course if it's only 3 months away I can wait...

JakeR

Stunt Coordinator
I purchased this with gritted teeth. I like Fincher, and I don't even mind the lack of extras, but that packaging is atrocious! It makes me feel as though I'm buying a CD single or something, not a feature film for $20 bucks.

Jeez, is it so much to ask that a $20 bill gets me a little bit of a display spine for my shelf? If every disc came like this, I'd only need one shelf for a few thousand dollars worth of expense.

Just another studio gouging technique.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks