What's new

Pearl Jam's new album... (2 Viewers)

Jason Quillen

Supporting Actor
I know there are a few PJ fans floating around the HTF so I figured I'd start this thread about their new album due November 12th.
The album title was announced yesterday, it will be called "Riot Act"
"I Am Mine" will be the first single off the album and will hit the radio officially on Sept. 18th. The single will be released on October 8th. The B-Side will be a song called "Down" which, according to billboard.com will NOT be on "Riot Act" but will appear ONLY as a B-Side.
The only other two officially released song names from "Riot Act" are "Love Boat Captain" and "Bushleaguer" which are both "mid-tempo songs".
Thats all I got for now...I'm sure the tracklist will be announced soon, too...
JQ

Paul D Young

Second Unit
Thanks for the heads up. I haven't been too hip lately and I didn't realize it was coming out. I'm sure I'll buy it when it does.

JohnE

Supporting Actor
Yeah, thanks for the heads up. I knew they we're working on new stuff, but for some reason I thought it was supposed to come out in 2003. Anyway's, good news for PJ fans.

Jason Quillen

Supporting Actor
John, theres a Pearl Jam B-Sides / Rarities album in the works for early 2003 (last I heard, the date keeps getting pushed back), so maybe thats what you were thinking of?
JQ

Jason Quillen

Supporting Actor
And the tracklist came out today (posted at tenclub.net)...
Can't Keep
Save You
Love Boat Captain
Cropduster
Ghost
I Am Mine
Thumbing My Way
You Are
Get Right
Green Disease
helphelp
Bushleaguer
1/2 Full
Arc
All or None
Also, if anyone here uses AOL (ugh) at 12:01 on Friday 9/13 there will be a "First Listen" of the first single "I Am Mine"...it should remain up for a few days after that

JQ

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
John, theres a Pearl Jam B-Sides / Rarities album in the works for early 2003 (last I heard, the date keeps getting pushed back), so maybe thats what you were thinking of?
Originally the plan was for the Rarities this year, and new album next year.

I don't know where I'm gonna get the money for all these albums, movies and games coming out in November.

Now that we have a track listing, I can go searching for some live versions.

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
Well, I got an Ed and his Uke version of Can't Keep, and now I can't wait to hear the full blown version.

Jarrod_L

Stunt Coordinator
Okay, I can't stand it....somebody put me to sleep until Nov 12th!!!!!

I MUST HAVE THIS ALBUM NOW!!!

Anybody have a time machine out there??? Anybody???

Jarrod_L

Stunt Coordinator
I just finished listening to the streaming version of "I Am Mine" at http://home.netscape.com/music/and I am not disapointed. I downloaded the song early in the year (from their perfomace at Bridge School) and thought it was an instant classic then. One of the better PJ singles, IMO.
Anyone else spin this black circle yet (or at least give their RealPlayer a push)?
Oh, and Graeme, you should really have put a rush order on that thing!!!
:D

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Well, I heard it on KROQ this morning and was a little bit underwhelmed. Just unimpressed I guess. Eddie's vocals sound like he wanted to break out and belt something but never rose above mumbling, like he was conflicted about how he wanted to sing the lyrics. Will reserve judgment until I hear more tracks though...

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
Well, I heard it on KROQ this morning and was a little bit underwhelmed.
Listening to new stuff for the first time on radio almost always leaves me a little underwhelmed.

I think it's a really nice song. I don't know how many albums it'll sell (then again I never though Last Kiss could have sold anything either) but I don't think that really matters anymore.

Now when is this album being leaked?

Jason Quillen

Supporting Actor
I heard it this morning, VIA MP3, and I love it. Its got me a lot more excited for Riot Act than Nothing as it Seems had me for Binaural.
Who knows when the album will hit the internet, but I wont be trying to find it. I'm gonna try and control myself and let I Am Mine (and Down, probably) hold me over till Nov. 12...
JQ

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
For me, Pearl Jam has always been about repetition. Most songs of theirs don't strike me as particularly good until I've heard them 3 or 4 times. After that, I can sit and listen to the album over and over again, from start to finish.
This new song sounds like old school Pearl Jam and that is definitely a plus. I *liked* Binaural, but I still haven't fallen in love with it as I have all the other Pearl Jam albums. I guess I've been listening to Vitalogy and 5 Against 1 ;) too much.
Bruce

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
i heard i am mine on the radio last night, and i like it very much. although i cant remember the last time i liked any PJ song first released off an album. nothing as it seems was ok, but not my fav. i hated who you are as well. anyway, cant wait for the new album, PJ rules

CJ

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
http://www.pearljamnetwork.com - If you're interesting in seeing lyric sheets for Riot Act.
And a comment I found on Usenet, although I have no idea if it's from an even somewhat reliable source
and while team pearl jam hardly needs me to carry on here in defense of the
band - nor do i think they would elicit such help.i will say a few words.
Riot Act is not about short track lengths or political ranting.it is not
about lack of guitar solos or lack of a metaphysical album title. Whatever
it is these complaints are trying to get at.they are so off base it's
criminal. Riot Act is quite simply about five individuals coming together
with their "hammers and claws" and creating the best record this band has
ever made.
If Binaural was Kid A - a transition.new producer, mr. cameron, writer's
block - then Riot Act is Amnesiac. The brilliant conclusion of a journey
that began in the summer of 1998. Riot Act finds the band capturing it's
live energy on tape.it's every bit the record stone referred to last year
when he said he would like to see the band "rock out and utilize Matt a
little more." This record is the Mike and Matt show.This record is where the
guitars roar and the bass pulsates.the solos soar and the lyrics question
and inspire.and the drummer, well.he's matt fucking cameron.
This record is every reason I have ever loved this band and every reason I
will continue to love this band for as long as I inhabit this world and
beyond. New and challenging, pure and rocking, intense and mind blowing.this
record is a pearl jam we have seen glimpses of in the past.but here, here we
see the band firing on all cylinders and addressing all issues.love, life,
the afterlife.authority, corporate greed, and grief.make no mistake Riot Act
is the record we've all been screaming for. it's gonna be a hell of a
ride...
But I hope it is.

Jarrod_L

Stunt Coordinator
"I Am Mine" seems like (to me at least) the first real radio friendly single PJ has done in a while. Now, I'm not saying that it will get a lot of airplay, or it will catch on w/ all of the non-fans, but I think lyrically, musically, emotionally, it could be their most powerful single since Daughter or Betterman.

"Who You Are" was disapointing to me as a first release off of No Code when I first heard it, though six years later I can say that I really enjoy that song.

"Given To Fly" took me several listens to really get a grasp on, but now it's become one of my fav live numbers.

"Nothing As It Seems" was one (like I Am Mine) that I got a chance to hear early b/c of Bridge School. I liked it, but wasn't convinced it was single material. I still like it, but only like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks