Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

U.S. version of Monsters Inc. sold in Vancouver,Canada?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#1 of 21 OFFLINE   Henry Woo

Henry Woo

Agent

• 40 posts

Posted September 11 2002 - 11:16 AM

It sounds like the U.S. version of Monsters Inc. is preferable to the Canadian version. For example, the Canadian version is missing the full screen version of the movie plus the sound fx track. This was done I believe to include the french soundtrack.

Does anyone know if any store in Vancouver, Canada would be carrying the U.S. version? I know that I can order it online. The former route is just easier.

#2 of 21 OFFLINE   Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight

Screenwriter

• 2,515 posts

Posted September 11 2002 - 11:33 AM

Quote:
Henry Woo wrote:
...the Canadian version is missing the full screen version of the movie...

If only us Americans could be so lucky, though, I wouldn't think of it as "missing" something.
Kyle McKnight

#3 of 21 OFFLINE   Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,686 posts

Posted September 11 2002 - 12:51 PM

How about the Toronto area?....Don't leave us in the dark- We want the American version too! Posted Image I want the SFX track...no french please.
Recently watched- Saturn 3, Cheers: Season 6, Nosferatu: The Vampyre, Battle Beyond The Stars, Invasion Of The Body Snatchers(1978), Ransom, Dragonheart, Tomb Of Ligeia, Bloodlust: Subspecies III, Gorky Park, The Last Man On Earth(1964), Lost: Season 6, Transformers Age Of Extinction 3D, The World's End, Toy Story Of Terror!, X-Men: Days Of Future Past 3D, Bloodstone: Subspecies II

Currently watching- Planet Earth, True Blood: Season 2, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, The Equalizer: Season 2, Tales From The Crypt: Season 2, WKRP In Cincinnati: Season 1, Arrow: Season 2

Irina Asanova - "KGB have better cars, you know."
Arkady Renko - "Ah, but they don't always take you where you want to go, do they?"

#4 of 21 OFFLINE   Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon

Screenwriter

• 2,071 posts

Posted September 11 2002 - 02:33 PM

Is there any information about what differences there are between the canadian and US versions? I'm not all that concerned about the lack of full frame, but I want to know if the transfer will be compromised, or if the all-important "for the birds" short will be intact (it wasn't listed on the Entertainment Warehouse description).
XBox Live Gamertag:ChrisBardon

#5 of 21 OFFLINE   Gui A

Gui A

Supporting Actor

• 597 posts

Posted September 11 2002 - 02:50 PM

American versions aren't carried anywhere in Canada.
If you want them, you have to order from amazon.com or another US based site.

#6 of 21 OFFLINE   NickSo

NickSo

Producer

• 4,274 posts

Posted September 11 2002 - 07:15 PM

Quote:
full screen version of the movie
Posted Image heresy!

#7 of 21 OFFLINE   Daniel J

Daniel J

Stunt Coordinator

• 186 posts

Posted September 11 2002 - 08:40 PM

The differences are listed in most of the other Mi. threads on this forum.
I believe the main ones are:

-Short features duplicated on the first disc

-no tallscreen transfer

-no SFX only audio track

-french language track

Anyone find any more?
Ba weep gra na weep nini bom!

#8 of 21 OFFLINE   Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky

Producer

• 3,740 posts

Posted September 12 2002 - 02:00 AM

I'm battling with myself whether or not I should get this locally or from a US retailer. The fact that there is no "tallscreen" (love that) version is actually a beautiful thing. The sound effects track is interesting to listen to but only for novelty purposes. So long as the packaging is not ruined with bilingual text and the transfer has not been compromised I'll likely just buy it here.
"The computer had attained consciousness, only to reject it, claiming it was too unstable an operating system."

#9 of 21 OFFLINE   James Reader

James Reader

Screenwriter

• 1,465 posts

Posted September 12 2002 - 04:13 AM

I see not beauty in the loss of the Full Screen transfer because based on other threads on this board, the bitrate on the widescreen version is exactly the same as the US version.

I can see no logic for removing the Full Screen version from this release (and the additional Sound Effects only track) only to add a single French Language Track and make no other improvements. It doesn't even have French subtitles!

This release should have had a DTS soundtrack.
"Would you recommend this movie to a friend?"
"Only if I was friendly with Hitler."

#10 of 21 OFFLINE   Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph

Lead Actor

• 8,341 posts

Posted September 12 2002 - 09:56 AM

Ditto that, and the removal of the tallscreen transfer should have freed up enough room to accomodate that dts soundtrack.

See my poll on this matter here
Click and enter " T H E . H O L O D E C K "
---------------------------------------------------------
My Home Theatre "The Holodeck"

#11 of 21 OFFLINE   IanS

IanS

Stunt Coordinator

• 92 posts

Posted September 12 2002 - 11:27 AM

guess I will be going to the States again next week. Good thing too, only 1 hour drive away.

Ian

#12 of 21 OFFLINE   Jeff

Jeff

Supporting Actor

• 950 posts

Posted September 12 2002 - 11:32 AM

Is the effects only track really important? I mean, this is all were really missing up here. Disney only puts a small "Version francaise incluse" on their covers so there will be no billingual cover.

Jeff

#13 of 21 OFFLINE   Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,686 posts

Posted September 12 2002 - 12:44 PM

The effects track isn't really that important; however, it could be good for a few laughs and for testing your speakers. Also, it's always nice to have the option of full-screen for children watching on a small TV. Besides, I have absolutely no use for the french track as I am not bilingual. So, I will most likely do the drive south as well.
Recently watched- Saturn 3, Cheers: Season 6, Nosferatu: The Vampyre, Battle Beyond The Stars, Invasion Of The Body Snatchers(1978), Ransom, Dragonheart, Tomb Of Ligeia, Bloodlust: Subspecies III, Gorky Park, The Last Man On Earth(1964), Lost: Season 6, Transformers Age Of Extinction 3D, The World's End, Toy Story Of Terror!, X-Men: Days Of Future Past 3D, Bloodstone: Subspecies II

Currently watching- Planet Earth, True Blood: Season 2, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, The Equalizer: Season 2, Tales From The Crypt: Season 2, WKRP In Cincinnati: Season 1, Arrow: Season 2

Arkady Renko - "Ah, but they don't always take you where you want to go, do they?"

#14 of 21 OFFLINE   Jeff

Jeff

Supporting Actor

• 950 posts

Posted September 12 2002 - 06:07 PM

IMO, children should not be raised on pan & scan. Otherwise we'll just have a whole new generation that will have to be converted over. Posted Image

#15 of 21 OFFLINE   Paul Wu

Paul Wu

Stunt Coordinator

• 96 posts

Posted September 12 2002 - 07:29 PM

I'm heading down south next week for a conference and planned on picking up a copy of Monsters Inc.

If there is interest, I'll be willing to pickup copies for those that reside in the Vancouver area. I just want to recoup my costs. There will be no duty or shipping. Just whatever the price and exchange.

The only thing is I won't be back till the 22nd, so if you need to have your movie on release day, I can't help you.

So drop me a PM or email if you are interested. I need to know how many by Tuesday.
Paul Wu
"There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count and those that can't."

#16 of 21 OFFLINE   Paul Wu

Paul Wu

Stunt Coordinator

• 96 posts

Posted September 13 2002 - 04:56 AM

Actually I need to know how many by Monday.
Paul Wu
"There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count and those that can't."

#17 of 21 OFFLINE   Peter Kline

Peter Kline

Screenwriter

• 2,409 posts

Posted September 13 2002 - 05:50 AM

The Full Screen version has re-composited sequences ala Toy Story 2. It also has more info on the top and bottom for what it's worth.

#18 of 21 OFFLINE   Jeff

Jeff

Supporting Actor

• 950 posts

Posted September 16 2002 - 06:12 PM

This is interesting. I work at a Rogers Video store. I took home a rental copy of Monsters Inc tonight and to my surprise it's the US version. I was rather shocked when the DVD displayed the choice for WS or FS.

It has no french track and has the effects only track. I haven't seen the rental box yet but the ones we got for sale say "Version francaise incluse", so it must be just the rental ones that are from the US. Maybe this is a mixup on Disney's part? Who knows.

Jeff

#19 of 21 OFFLINE   Gui A

Gui A

Supporting Actor

• 597 posts

Posted September 17 2002 - 01:51 PM

Looks like I might buy a PV copy at Rogers then...

#20 of 21 OFFLINE   Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,686 posts

Posted September 17 2002 - 02:18 PM

While your search goes on in Vancouver, I've looked around the Toronto area to no avail. All Canadian copies.Posted Image However; going on a tangent here, I found an american version of A Beautiful Mind (Widescreen) at a local Zellers (there was no bilingual titles and the cover was shiny gold not dull brownish gold as on the Cdn version). Of course I picked it up.Posted Image

As for Monsters Inc.(U.S.), I still have a couple more places to search tommorrow before giving up and 'shuffling off to Buffalo'. Posted Image

Forum Nav Content I Follow