-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Robert Harris on The Bits - 9/11/02 column - OFFICIAL THREAD

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#1 of 21 Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt

Second Unit

• 434 posts

Posted September 11 2002 - 06:21 AM

We've just posted Robert Harris' new column on The Digital Bits. In this column, Robert talks about a pair of films which have had an impact on him personally, including one that takes on added significance given the day.

Films are Personal

As always, click on the link to read Robert's comments and then come on back here to this official thread at the HTF to discuss, give feedback, ask questions of Robert and sound off as you will.

Peace.
Bill Hunt, Editor
The Digital Bits
http://www.thedigitalbits.com
billhunt@thedigitalbits.com

#2 of 21 george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted September 11 2002 - 10:30 AM

This is sort of off topic, but I can't help noticing that Robert mentions a lot of films, and some get an asterisk meaning they are worthy of purchase. I'd like to see Rob Tomlin's face when he sees Lawrence of Arabia conspicously missing an asterisk. Posted Image
"Movies should be like amusement parks. People should go to them to have fun." - Billy Wilder

"Subtitles good. Hollywood bad." - Tarzan, Sight & Sound 2012 voter.

"My films are not slices of life, they are pieces of cake." - Alfred Hitchcock"My great humility is just one of the many reasons that I...

#3 of 21 gregstaten

gregstaten

Supporting Actor

• 601 posts

Posted September 11 2002 - 11:31 AM

Great article, Mr. Harris. I was on the fence about buying 9|11 even though I collect documentaries. And, I hadn't noticed that DON'T LOOK NOW had been announced.

Picked 'em both up on my way home from work today.

-greg

#4 of 21 Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese

Screenwriter

• 2,592 posts

Posted September 11 2002 - 02:11 PM

Another great article, RAH. My wife and I watched and thoroughly enjoyed DON'T LOOK NOW last week - what a beautiful disk. This is another case of a DVD transfer that honestly comes close to looking "film-like". I'm so happy they didn't give it the digital smoothing treatment...

Quote:
I'd like to see Rob Tomlin's face when he sees Lawrence of Arabia conspicously missing an asterisk.
Well, we all know that the lack of an asterisk is only because the DVD is sub-par and is certainly not a reflection on the brilliant film itself. Posted Image
"What we're fighting for, in the end...we're fighting for each other." - Col. Joshua Chamberlain in "Gettysburg"

#5 of 21 JJR512

JJR512

Supporting Actor

• 619 posts

Posted September 11 2002 - 02:48 PM

Strange...I was in one Best Buy and two different Borders yesterday, and one Wal*Mart today, and have not seen anything about this 9/11 documentary. The article is the first I've heard of it. I thought I had looked around pretty well, not looking for anything in particular, just browsing. I think I'll go out tomorrow and make a dedicated effort to find it. Should it be available in any of these stores I've mentioned, and what is the price?
-Justin J. "JJR512" Rebbert
No matter how fast light travels, it always arrives to find the darkness already there, waiting for it.

#6 of 21 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Lead Actor

• 7,386 posts

Posted September 12 2002 - 12:41 AM

9/11 is streeting at approximately $21, a portion of which goes to charity, as do the entire profits of the HBO special on the subject, which makes an interesting companion piece, and comes from Warner.

There are obviously a number of other DVDs which have recently made their way to the stores, so be careful to end up with the correct disc. This one is from Paramount.

I have not had a chance to check whether the profits from other offerings such as those on the World Trade Center go to charities.

If anyone knows, the information should be posted.

If they don't, they should be avoided like the plague. Companies attempting to profit from the event might just as well be buying scrap metal from Ground Zero, striking commemorative medallions from it and hawking them over the airwaves for "only $24.95 plus shipping and handling." I find it incomprehensible that any entity could or would publish anything with an eye toward profit from this tragedy.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#7 of 21 Tom Rhea

Tom Rhea

Second Unit

• 292 posts

Posted September 12 2002 - 12:54 AM

An excellent article. I wasn't in NYC on 9/11/01, but I'm nevertheless not ready to watch that documentary. I may do as suggested, get it and put it on a shelf, but I can't imagine a time when I'll be able to watch it without turning into a blubbering mess.

As for Don't Look Now, sounds exactly like the sort of movie I'd love. Picking up great movies sight unseen, just going on word of mouth or gut instinct, is the most fun part of being a movie nut -- that's how I ended up with Roeg's beautiful Walkabout. Fortunately, today is movie ordering day and I was looking for something just like this to complete the list. Thanks!
Tom Rhea

#8 of 21 Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd

Screenwriter

• 1,691 posts

Posted September 12 2002 - 01:50 AM

I tried to watch 9/11 when it first aired on CBS. The moment the first plane hit the tower, I had to leave the room. I thought that I was prepared for it. I had seen the footage of the towers falling a hundred times by then. Nothing could have prepared me for what I saw. Someday, I know that I'll want to watch the entire film. I also know that I want our children to watch it when they're old enough. It's very hard to put a personal face on tragedy. This film accomplishes that without trying.
---------------------------------------------
Support Film Preservation before it's too late!
---------------------------------------------

#9 of 21 Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy

Producer

• 3,530 posts

Posted September 13 2002 - 02:33 AM

On the region 2 edition of Don't Look Now, there is a 20 minute retrospective mini-docu, and Roeg doesn't look 74, let me tell you! He's seems a right nice bloke. I am in awe of his work. Masque is amazing for a $300,000 21 day show from 1964. Far From The Madding Crowd need to be on DVD with a genuinely great transfer - what is the condition of the film's elements? The transfer on the region 2 of The Man Who Fell To Earth is also superb. I'd love to see Eureka get a good DVD edition some time soon.

As long as humans have eyes, they owe it to themselves to watch the films that Nick Roeg worked his visionary magic on! Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted ImageAnd God bless America tooPosted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Gordy
In Scotland

#10 of 21 oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted September 13 2002 - 07:42 AM

just another great article from Mr Harris and how he saw the events of 11 september 2001. Time sure does fly, I watched the documentary on the day itself as the bbc showed it. Very moving indeed and at times you do walk away to take a breather. I am not sure about buying this at the moment, too fresh.

Oscar

also from Scotland

Posted Image
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#11 of 21 Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin

Producer

• 4,507 posts

Posted September 13 2002 - 12:11 PM

Nice article. The comments regarding the 9/11 DVD were right on the mark! It truly is amazing what these guys captured on film, and it isn't easy to watch.

I just placed Don't Look Now on my Netflix list. I love Donald Sutherland, so I am really looking forward to viewing this one!

Quote:
I'd like to see Rob Tomlin's face when he sees Lawrence of Arabia conspicously missing an asterisk.

I think it is probably so obvious that this film is great (the greatest) that placing an asterisk next to it would only be stating the obvious! Posted Image

For ordinary men, it's a burning, fiery furnace.

#12 of 21 Daniel J

Daniel J

Stunt Coordinator

• 186 posts

Posted September 14 2002 - 08:21 PM

Quote:
I think it is probably so obvious that this film is great (the greatest) that placing an asterisk next to it would only be stating the obvious!

I was under the impression that Mr. Harris is disgusted with the current DVD release of LOA, and deems it a poor way to experience the film. (Of course, if your only other option is VHS, then you have to make do...)
Ba weep gra na weep nini bom!

#13 of 21 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Lead Actor

• 7,386 posts

Posted September 15 2002 - 11:29 AM

As of Sept. 20, the other option will be 70mm.

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#14 of 21 Daniel J

Daniel J

Stunt Coordinator

• 186 posts

Posted September 15 2002 - 12:17 PM

Quote:
As of Sept. 20, the other option will be 70mm

Actually, that's a null option for (guessing) 75% of Canada's population. Laserdisc would be easier (though I suppose driving seven hours to seattle would be cheaper than a LD player, but the latter option also gives me Star Wars, and offers opportunity for multuple screenings.)

Unless theaters with 70mm projection equipment have been popping up under my nose...

Back OT:

Has anyone seen 9/11 on Canadian shelves? It sounds like a disc I need to get.

And what genre would Don't Look now fit in? Anything comparable that I may have seen? Mr. Harris' comments about the paridgm-setting production make a rental seem inevitable, but there are alot of other films on my "to see" list already...
Ba weep gra na weep nini bom!

#15 of 21 Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,065 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted September 16 2002 - 01:15 AM

"Don't Look Now" is somewhere in the mystery/horror/psychological thriller range. Parts of it are quite disturbing. It is not fun for the whole family, but is a very well made film for adult sensibilities.

Regards,
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#16 of 21 Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Producer

• 5,082 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted September 16 2002 - 04:58 AM

A little of topic, but didn't I see Robert mention (in another thread) that he would have an article on Wolfen up on the Bits?
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#17 of 21 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Lead Actor

• 7,386 posts

Posted September 16 2002 - 01:12 PM

You're quite correct.

Wolfen will be column after the next.

The 9/11 DVD was unexpected, worthy of discussion and set the schedule off a bit.

RAH

#18 of 21 Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Producer

• 5,082 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted September 17 2002 - 03:41 AM

Quote:
Wolfen will be column after the next.

Thank you. Just wanted to know it was still on the way.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#19 of 21 Mike Munster

Mike Munster

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted September 18 2002 - 04:37 AM

The box on the 9/11 DVD says its widescreen. Is it anamorphically enhanced?

#20 of 21 Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen

Producer

• 3,150 posts

Posted September 18 2002 - 04:52 AM

DanielJ said:
Quote:
Has anyone seen 9/11 on Canadian shelves?

I saw 9/11 at Future Shop recently... just so ya know.

Back to Archived Threads 2001-2004

Forum Nav Content I Follow