Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

The omnibus UNIVERSAL forced trailer complaint thread

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#1 of 129 OFFLINE   Yumbo

Yumbo

Screenwriter

• 2,243 posts

Posted September 10 2002 - 06:17 PM

ok, it started with The Grinch - 1 trailer. others with Scorpion King trailer. now K-9: P.I. has 4 trailers play before the movie! I much prefer their showcase feature.

#2 of 129 OFFLINE   Jason Whyte

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter

• 1,442 posts

Posted September 10 2002 - 06:29 PM

Most Universal discs do this now. My screeners of Dragonfly and Monsoon Wedding have these trailers after you hit the "play movie" button. Though, they can be skipped (or just go to chapter 1 from the main menu). Jason
Buy National Treasure on DVD today..."The best movie I saw on Saturday night from 7pm to 9:30. The DTS track is freakin' awesome!" --Multiplex Drone

#3 of 129 OFFLINE   Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter

• 1,551 posts

Posted September 11 2002 - 02:33 AM

I don't know why people have such a problem with trailers. I actually like them, it makes it feel more like a theater experience. Plus it gives me a chance to pop some popcorn and get my soda.Posted Image
"I'm your Huckleberry"

#4 of 129 OFFLINE   cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,045 posts

Posted September 11 2002 - 07:40 AM

[quote] I don't know why people have such a problem with trailers [quote]
I like trailers.

I do NOT like trailers that play without me having selected them from the menu.

#5 of 129 OFFLINE   Rob T

Rob T

Screenwriter

• 1,991 posts

Posted September 11 2002 - 09:17 AM

[quote] I like trailers.

I do NOT like trailers that play without me having selected them from the menu. [quote]
I feel the same way. By the time, I got the disc in the player, I already got all my snacks ready so I just want to get on wtih the movie.

#6 of 129 OFFLINE   Sanjay Gupta

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor

• 754 posts

Posted September 12 2002 - 06:49 PM

I can even deal with the trailers before the film, but only if I have an option to skip them.
Sanjay
Member since July - August 1997

#7 of 129 OFFLINE   Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke

Screenwriter

• 2,249 posts

Posted September 12 2002 - 07:38 PM

Forced trailers are never a good choice. But, since the studios are still gonna do it, why can't they make them more presentable? Most of the trailers are not enhanced and use Pro-Logic audio. If you are going to force us to watch them upfront, at least give em the 16x9 treatment and 5.1 or better audio. Posted Image

Bruce
The Mads are calling

#8 of 129 OFFLINE   Robert Woods

Robert Woods

Stunt Coordinator

• 52 posts

Posted September 13 2002 - 12:05 AM

[quote] I don't know why people have such a problem with trailers. I actually like them, it makes it feel more like a theater experience. Plus it gives me a chance to pop some popcorn and get my soda. [quote]

Yeah, right, like one wouldn't be able to watch TV and also take care of one's toilet needs without commercials Posted Image

So not only trailers but we should have the local ads for Shawn's Shoe Shop and Denny's Dentures - yeah, right.

Want some used bubble gum to put under your living room seat and for the rug?

#9 of 129 OFFLINE   Richard cash

Richard cash

Stunt Coordinator

• 80 posts

Posted September 13 2002 - 05:18 AM

cant you fast forward through them? just like when they were present at the beginning of a VHS movie

#10 of 129 OFFLINE   Sean Aaron

Sean Aaron

Second Unit

• 255 posts

Posted September 13 2002 - 05:55 AM

The main reason I don't understand such things is that they are time-based. I mean you're going to own the film so what 5 years from now you still need to see "coming soon" ads for films that have been in general release for ages? What's the point?

#11 of 129 OFFLINE   MikeEckman

MikeEckman

Screenwriter

• 1,088 posts

Posted September 13 2002 - 06:37 AM

What a brilliant idea!!! Isnt it amazing that some of the most obviously simple things are totally overlooked by the studios? My WEGA TV does not have the autoswitching feature to detect the difference between 16x9 enhahced and not, and when I watch these Universal discs with the trailers before hand, they show up squished, and I have to wait til the main feature to see them in the right aspect ratio. Oh well, like already mentioned, I just skip them anyways, but it makes the whole idea of advertising seem like they dont put much effort into it, and if they dont care that much about it, why do it in the first place? I guess thats a question we'll never know the answer to.
Mike Eckman
Chicago Heights, IL
Music Webpage: http://www.metalreviewcentre.com
Car Webpage: http://www.metalrevi...com/transam.htm

#12 of 129 OFFLINE   Robert Woods

Robert Woods

Stunt Coordinator

• 52 posts

Posted September 13 2002 - 10:04 PM

Forced trailers MEANS they are 'forced' - one CANNOT fast-forward thru them or skip them. And they are abominable. IMO even 'voluntary' ones should be put separately on the menu.

#13 of 129 OFFLINE   Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,456 posts

Posted September 14 2002 - 02:04 AM

[quote] The main reason I don't understand such things is that they are time-based. I mean you're going to own the film so what 5 years from now you still need to see "coming soon" ads for films that have been in general release for ages? What's the point? [quote]
The point is that MANY more people will watch these movies when first released than later. That's due to rentals and the simple newness of the projects. Of course people will watch them later as well, but not in the same numbers - you're getting a big block of viewers all at once.

Besides, what does Universal care if its trailers are out of date two years from now? It's still free advertising that might prompt someone to buy the product...
Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

#14 of 129 OFFLINE   Jeremy Allin

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor

• 897 posts

Posted September 14 2002 - 02:32 AM

Luckily, none of my discs have 'forced' trailers (trailers that cannot be skipped in any way). It's a minor inconvenience, nothing more, to hit the 'skip' button once or twice.

But if forced trailers start showing up ... Posted Image

#15 of 129 OFFLINE   Sean Aaron

Sean Aaron

Second Unit

• 255 posts

Posted September 15 2002 - 08:15 PM

I have yet to see trailers that are "forced" in that I cannot pass them in some way (fast-forward, skip, or at the very worst stop and then hit menu -- all things I try on international copyright warnings as well with varying degrees of success). I will flat-out not purchase a disc that somehow forces me to watch trailers like some discs force me to see stupid copyright warnings -- at least those only last a few seconds. I think it would be a public service to treat unskippable trailers like defects in the disc and publish them when they are discovered (stating region as well, natch), because I think accepting that much removal of choice from the home viewing experience is unwarranted and should be stopped in case more suits think this is an acceptable practice.

#16 of 129 OFFLINE   Robert Woods

Robert Woods

Stunt Coordinator

• 52 posts

Posted September 16 2002 - 12:09 AM

No 'forced' trailers etc? Try 'U96' and the 'Patriot'

#17 of 129 OFFLINE   Mark Hanson

Mark Hanson

Agent

• 49 posts

Posted September 16 2002 - 07:20 AM

I do not mind seeing trailers, but at my choice. The theater experience is nice, but it gets old as you listen to the 'coming in the summer of 1996' on a couple old VHS tapes I watched with my daughter last weekend. If you are forced to watch it YUCK.

#18 of 129 OFFLINE   Kevin M

Kevin M

Producer

• 5,172 posts

Posted September 16 2002 - 07:31 AM

Which disc's exactly have trailers that are "locked" and can not be chapter skipped past? I rented U96 and I remember being able to skip past the opening "Universal" commercial.
-Kevin M.

There's a human tendency to resent anyone who disagrees with our pleasures.  The less mature interpret that as a personal attack on themselves.
- Roger Ebert

#19 of 129 OFFLINE   Paul W

Paul W

Second Unit

• 468 posts

Posted September 06 2003 - 03:49 AM

I cannot find anything about this in the search page, but I cannot believe I am the first person to comment on the forced trailers for every High School Reunion movie that is coming out.

WTF???????

Posted Image Posted Image

If there is a thread already out there, can someone point me to it?
"Hairs are your aerials. They pick up signals from the cosmos, and transmit them directly into the brain. This is the reason bald-headed men are uptight." —Danny, Withnail and I

#20 of 129 OFFLINE   Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter

• 1,825 posts

Posted September 06 2003 - 04:38 AM

Paul, Forced trailers have been a common practice for Universal. It's not bad enought that they give us releases chock full of glitches and error, they need to force us to watch trailers for their movies as well. I just watched Three O'Clock High and The Breakfast Club last night, and neither would even let me stop the disc during the trailer. Ihad to fast forward through. If I didn't know any better I'd swear Universal is intentionally trying to lose customers.
My DVD, Blu-Ray and HD DVD Collection @ DVDSpot

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users