What's new

Yamaha HTR-5250 or something else? (1 Viewer)

Nick P

Second Unit
I'm looking at the HTR-5250, in order to get DTS, for 319.00. For price/performance would this be the way to go or can you guys recommend something else for VERY close to the same price. Thanks in advance for your help.
Nick Pearson

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Nick,
The 5250 and it's twin RXV-596 just recently dropped from $499 to $399 at local retailers, that $319 price is very good indeed.
You may find other recievers that do DTS in this price range, but none will be of as high quality as the Yamaha. Other choices in this price range will probably suffer from surround hiss and have inflated power ratings.
------------------
Steve S.
I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

My dad is running the HTR-5250 paired with Energy speakers(Pro 3.5, Pro .5, AC300, e:XL S-8, an awesome combo!. Very nice reciever!!!

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
I'm currently using the 5250 and I'm very happy with it. When I do upgrade I will have Yamaha at the top of my list due to my satisfaction with the 5250. A very good receiver for sub $500. An excellent receiver for $319.
------------------
You want to upgrade again?!!

Nick P

Second Unit
Thanks for the advice so far. I also found a factory refurbished Onkyo TXDS575X with full manufacturers warrenty for 297.00. How would this compare to the 5250?

Nick P

Second Unit
Dennis, wow...you really dug deep to find this post! That is a fantastic price for the 5250. I ended up going with an Onkyo 595. I have mixed feelings about it though.
------------------

Nicholas A. Gallegos

Stunt Coordinator
If you have a Good Guys in your area, $229.99 is an absolute steal for the HTR-5250. Very few receivers at this price even offer 5.1-ch. preouts, for example (actually, you'd be hard-pressed to even find one). I think you'll enjoy your new Onkyo though. The TX-DS595 is a fine receiver.
------------------

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I dug deep because I wanted to see if it was a good receiver or not. People here seemed to like it so I went down and got one for $229.99.
This replaces my 3-4 year old Technics SA-TX30 receiver/SH-AC300 DD decoder pair, purchased in turn as a closeout from Fry's for about $400. Similar specs. (other than DTS) but you know how you can't trust specs. alone. The Technics says .09% THD and the Yamaha says .06% THD but the Yamaha sounds way clearer. Right now I'm listening to my standard reference disk, Fantasia 2000. It really sounds better, although the DTSaphiles will say that's because I'm listing to DTS for the first time. Let's not go there....
tongue.gif

I'll bet I can sell the Technics pair for $150 - still a good deal for bargain hunters (where else do you get THX certified for that price). So this upgrade sounds like a very good deal. The only thing I don't like about the Yamaha so far are the cheesy terminals for the center and rear speakers.
------------------
Feline audience members Katie, Susie, Fluffy Pumpkin, and Naughty Tuxedo

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Fred,
I don't use bananas so I'm not sure. But the manual alludes in a vague way to being able to do so. I was able to stuff 12 AWG wire into them so they will swallow something big. Someone else will have to answer your question exactly.
------------------
Feline audience members Katie, Susie, Fluffy Pumpkin, and Naughty Tuxedo
[Edited last by Dennis Nicholls on July 20, 2001 at 12:07 AM]

Nicholas A. Gallegos

Stunt Coordinator
There's no way you'd be able to cram banana plugs into the HTR-5250's center- and rear-channel terminals. Too small.
------------------

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I can't believe I've had this HTR-5250 for 20 years now.

This speaks to Yamaha's quality. I'm getting ready to replace it with a modern AV receiver that supports modern HDMI. There's nothing more annoying than having to replace working electronics due to changes in the industry's specifications.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks