-

Photo

New to DIY

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 matthew_rm

matthew_rm

Second Unit

• 380 posts

Posted September 07 2002 - 06:30 AM

Well, I need to know what kind of tools I will need to build a simple sub. It's going to be a box, and I want it to have a nice finish.

Really, all I need is a tool to make a ROUND hole. I am going to learn how to mount the drivers layer. I will be asking more on the BB when I have the right tools. I won't start unless Im sure I know what I'm doingPosted Image

I was thinking of using a Car audio driver. (Sub) Will this work? For now, I will be using a sony minisystem as the amp. (If it keeps shutting off, I will buy something else)

And advice would be great!Posted Image

#2 of 7 Guest_Anthony_Gomez_*

Guest_Anthony_Gomez_*

Posted September 07 2002 - 07:28 AM

The easiest thing to build is a sonotube subwoofer.

Pat has some exceedingly well documented subs that you should look at
http://www.patcave.com/

To build a sonosub, you really only need a router, jasper jig (www.partsexpress.com), and a drill. A jig saw will make life easier for trimming down sonotube or for internal bracing.

If you want a box, then you will need access to a table saw as well.

MOST car audio subs are inadiquate for home theater. There are a ffew exceptions. List your driver and we'll see. T/S parameters will really help (Vas, Qtc, Fs etc).

Your sony amp will DIE if it tries to power the sub.

What type of budget do you have? Is this for music or HT?

#3 of 7 eric

eric

Agent

• 42 posts

Posted September 07 2002 - 02:00 PM

Your sony amp will DIE if it tries to power the sub.

if youre gonna do this, make sure to have a video camera handy...cuz id like to see some footage of the meltdown! Posted Image

yes, that is a bad idea, even for a short time. its better to save, and buy the right thing in the first place, than to have to replace something, and still need the other part.

eric
nismo240sx on soundillusions.net
nismo240sx on maxima.org
nismo240sx @ EVERYWHERE ELSE...but they wont let me here

#4 of 7 Ron D Core

Ron D Core

Stunt Coordinator

• 159 posts

Posted September 07 2002 - 05:22 PM

The least you can do really is make a box, use that sub, just get a sub amp. The 100 watt one from parts express would work ok depending on the driver.

#5 of 7 matthew_rm

matthew_rm

Second Unit

• 380 posts

Posted September 08 2002 - 04:58 AM

Well, I found the DAYTON 12" TITANIC MKII SUBWOOFER 4 OHM and it looks great! Can anybody else think of a cheep driver that would be better??

#6 of 7 Guest_Anthony_Gomez_*

Guest_Anthony_Gomez_*

Posted September 08 2002 - 05:10 AM

Not better, but in the more economical bracket is the BPD1201. Bill is taking orders now and has a 5% off on the pre-order.

www.missiondigital.net

THis driver does like the larger enclosures compared to some other 12's, but you ca get away with a 150watt amp.

#7 of 7 matthew_rm

matthew_rm

Second Unit

• 380 posts

Posted September 08 2002 - 03:01 PM

If people can use old, low power pro logic or 2ch recievers, why wouldn't the sony work. In 2 ch, it has more power then the OnkyoSR600 running in 5.1Posted Image