What's new

Farscape Canceled (1 Viewer)

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
Yeah, I saw this on Aint-It-Cool-News, and from what's being said over there it's not like this is happening in a month or anything, they're literally gonna start dismantling the sets in a couple of days!!!

I'd like someone to explain to me how this gets cancelled but humongous crap like "Lexx" just keeps going and going. I swear, I can't believe that stupid show lasted a week!

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
I'm sure they lost quite a few viewers in the giant 2001 hiatus, and from what I hear ratings this season haven't been as good as before.
I kind of lost interest in the show when Zhaan was written out but watched periodically through Season 3. I really didn't care for where they took the characters emotionally last season, so I didn't finish the season and haven't seen any season 4 eps. Such a brave and interesting show deserves a conclusion though.... not some unceremonious dumpage! :frowning:

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
Sean,
As a Lexx fan and a Farscape non-fan, I can see it! The two shows are on completely different levels. I leave it as an exercise to the reader to figure out which is the higher one. :)
Martin.

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Everything has to end eventually. Although I had hoped for at least 5 seasons we can't have it all. For me the show has changed and I can understand why viewership has dropped. Seasons one and two were much better than what's been going on in 3 and so far 4. For me most of what I saw of season 4 sucked. I had been very disappointed. But there were some in both seasons that I enjoyed and overall I still enjoy the whole series. I will certainly miss Claudia Black. When they do air the rest of season 4 beginning in January, I hope they wrap up the series nicely and don't end it cold turkey.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I thought they had already contracted through Season 5.

This surprises me a bit.

You know, there are perpetual 'Farscape Canceled' hoaxes on Usenet, it's kind of become an in-joke.

I'm not sure what to think.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
From a live chat with Kemper:

DK: Each and every year, at the end of the season
DK: we have a chat with you,
DK: our slightly bent cohorts in this
DK: wonderful adventure,
DK: and we wanted this year to be no different.
DK: However, despite our best efforts, this year is a bitt different from all
the rest.
DK: In the past 24 hours, I have been
DK: innundated with emails and calls
DK: regarding rumors that are circulating
DK: regarding our joint passion.
DK: Where do we stand?
DK: We are two days away from shooting the last scenes
DK: of season 4.
DK: As you know, Sci Fi has picked us up
DK: for 4th and 5th seasons.
DK: However, as with everything done at a
DK: corporate level,
DK: there was an out clause built into Sci Fi's
DK: pickup schedule.
DK: As of yesterday, we were informed --
DK: after massive efforts by everyone at Henson
DK: and working on the show --
DK: most importantly Brian Henson
DK: and the 3 gentlemen
DK: here
DK: that Sci Fi was not going to exercise it's
DK: option to pick up the 5th season of Farscape.
DK: The rumors that everyone has been calling me
DK: about are sadly
DK: very sadly true.
DK: Tuesday will be the last time Ben dons the uniform
DK: of Commander John Crichton.
DK: We are all hugely sad.
DK: I am shaking as I write this.
DK: Yesterday, we all cried on the set.
DK: Yet, as we are, at the end of the line
DK: so to speak
DK: being just the people who make the show
DK: and not the corporate entities that fund and air it
DK: we are as helpless as anyone.
DK: And we are sad
DK: And we are shattered.
DK: And we are sorry.
DK: And we wanted to come online
DK: and talk to YOU,
DK: our core fans who have stood
DK: beside us for such a long and great journey.
The show will NOT end with a resolution, there was not enough notice.

We have only seen half of season 4 and the show will surely end with a cliffhanger.

If scifi doesn't at least fund a wrapup movie, I will be PISSED.

SpenceJT

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff Spencer
It's also listed on The Digital Bits
The series has been cancelled (unless the fans can save it). Will the remaining seasons of Farscape ever see the light of day?
(LATE UPDATE - 9/6/02 - 10:30 PM PDT)
Yes... you read that right. The frell-nicks in programming at the Sci-Fi Network have opted out of their just-signed contract for seasons five and six of Farscape at the 11th hour, meaning that after the rest of season four airs in January, the best science fiction show on television is effectively cancelled. The news was announced this evening in a live chat at Sci-Fi.com with series executive producer David Kemper and star Ben Browder. As Jon Stewart might say, "Whhhhhhaaaaaaaaa?"
Now... here at The Bits, we're not normally of the sort to raise a stink about a TV show being cancelled. That's just life, right? And it doesn't really have much to do with DVD (other than the fact that we're all really enjoying the first and second seasons on DVD from ADV, thank you very much). But this one does stick in our collective craw. Now... we recognize that some of you may not care. But if (like us) you do, the show's producers have asked for help in convincing Sci-Fi of the error of their ways. Contact Sci-Fi and politely let them know how you feel.
Sci-Fi's programming department email: program@

Eric Sevigny

Stunt Coordinator
*sigh
Just when I thought I had finally found something worthwhile to watch they cancel it (I've been in some kind of sci-fi denial since I stopped watching ST:Voyager - it got dull/boring you name it). At least I have a couple seasons/episodes I never saw to look forward to (I'm just in season 1 I would guess - Have to watch it french-dubbed though, but picked up a couples of R2s DVD too :) ).
As for Lexx, I have just got into that one too (first season "movies") and I must say I like it quite a lot. I would call it refreshingly weird. But isn't that serie over? I've read it ended after 4 seasons (maybe it's still showing on Sci-Fi channel in the states?).

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Well, there goes the last TV show that I watch on a regular basis. :angry:
Also, it was the only worthwhile show that Sci-Fi has. (Sorry to the Lexx fans, but I think your show sucks.) I've also haven't been happy with the way Sci-Fi has been treating the show like a bastard stepchild, dividing the season into three parts, with months of dead space in between. For a network that claims to "love" the show, their actions sure don't reflect that.
I'm also wondering if the unconventional "seasons" were hurting the overall plot structure, not really having much time to develop anything before a hiatus hits, then having to having to write clifhangers in midseason to try keeping people hooked with something memorable.
I'm sad to hear it. I guess I'm just using my TV to watch football now...
Jason

Mike St.Louis

Supporting Actor
This is very bad news. Farscape was one of the most imaginative science fiction shows I have ever seen.

So now all that's left is Enterprise?

I am so depressed...

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
This is the show that put Sci-Fi on the map, and this is how they treat it? Yeah, lets tear down the sets! Burn it! Trash it! Maybe we can bring back new episodes of The Chronicle!

For those of you who did not like where the series was going lately, remember... it was never predictable Trek. You never knew what was coming, and to me, that always made it very refreshing and often stimulating. Also keep in mind that since they thought they had another whole season, there probably would have been quite a few big pay-offs in season 5. Now we will be left with a cliffhanger. Nice.

I think I'm giving up on the Sci-fi Channel. As far as I'm concerned they can take Taken and the Dune sequel and shove them up their frelling... well, I'm sure you get the point.

Ric

Jacob Perry

Stunt Coordinator
What a pisser.

Im really upset about the timing. At least give everyone a chance to give the show a resolution.

Well... (raises a glass). To my favorite SciFi show ever!

JP

Lee Jamilkowski

Stunt Coordinator
Sci Fi really screwed the pooch on this one. I've already called, however it seems like their voice mail boxes are full and not accepting new messages, but my letter is almost ready... just need to throw in Sci Fi's address and mail it. Plus I've sent e-mails.
Farscape, for those who think it lost it's "thing" for a while, seems to be getting it back. Season four has definitely been interesting... not to mention, Zhaan has made two appearances this season. Not bad for a dead plant. Same with Crais.
Crackers do matter...

Roberto Carlo

Second Unit
I was never into the show but I wrote the network anyway. I'm still mad as hell about they way they treated Sliders.:angry: Fortunately, this the last season for Stargate SG-1.

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
Actually Stargate may continue another season. I like both shows and im mad as hell farscape is cancelled. There phone mail boxes being full is good news. Keep calling because monday morning someone has to check them out and then they will need refilling :) Send those faxes using the free service and anything else you feel like doing

capt

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Keep checking this website for information. http://farscape.wdsection.com/
It's probably too late, but David Kemper did ask the fans to voice their disappointment to SciFi Channel. It can't hurt, and you never know.
Frell!

Mike Franklin

Stunt Coordinator
So far there has never been a show on Sci Fi that has gone past 3 or 4 seasons. I guess they like to keep there shows fresh or something. G vs E and The Invisible man had strong followings and when they cancelled them with out a thought. I just hope they replace it with something worth while.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Yeah they'll replace it with another showing of the "Sci Fi" movie Field of Dreams. Sci fi really does'nt have a clue. They have the worst people in charge of Programming.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks