What's new

ALERT - Xbox The Thing Promo DVD is Anamorphic!?!?! (1 Viewer)

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Just picked up the game The Thing for my Xbox and received a promotional DVD of the movie as well. I already have the original collectors edition.

Imagine my shock when I looked at the labelling on the disc which states it is a promo DVD and that is 2.35 widescreen and anamorphic!

This is one of my favourite movies that I was dying to see get an anamorphic re-release!

Well thinking this might be a labelling error I rushed home to check the disc out. Sure enough the disc is anamorphic and sports the advantages of the process.

I'll do some more comparisons between the 2 discs to see how much of a difference there is.

What a nice bonus - this is a movie I would have gladly rebought if there was an anamorphic re-release! And now I have it for free!

The audio seems to be the same mix but I'll reserve judgement until I view it further.

Can anyone else verify this?

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
A couple of retailers provided this DVD to folks who pre-ordered the game. I don't know if any stores are handing the disc to customers who buy the game straight off the shelf, though.

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
Um....I have it, and it's not anamorphic, though the disc says it is.
here's a screencap taken from an anamorphic 2.35:1 dvd...
Link Removed
and one from The Thing promo DVD...
Link Removed

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
And just to be sure we have what appears to be the same disc, this is what mine looks like...
Link Removed

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
When the Thing dvd was resolicited at a lower price, it was also advertised as anamorphic. I would guess that this is just another mislabeling.

-Dave

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
That's what I assumed dave, but...
Well thinking this might be a labelling error I rushed home to check the disc out. Sure enough the disc is anamorphic and sports the advantages of the process.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Kyle is correct. The Thing promo DVD is NOT anamorphic..I just checked.
What made you think it was anamorphic Lou?? You say you checked. How did you check?? Just want to make sure that there aren't anamorphic Things out there!:D

Karl L

Agent
You owe me a beer Lou! I sat in rush hour traffic to get to a store downtown that carried it after reading your post. When I got it, I was excited to see the anamorphic labeling on the disc. However, as a couple of others have stated, it is most definitely NOT anamorphic. Oh well, the game looks cool!

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
I had a huge rush of excitement when reading the first post, and then........... I read the following posts.......
Bad Lou:angry: :angry: :
;)
However, Kyle's pic of the ddisc is different then mine... it sure looks like his disc indicates anamorphic enhancement.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
:b :b :b :b :b
Sorry guys - I had checked the video from the projector(NEC LT150) which said it was receiving a non-interlaced signal.

Should have checked to see if the auto-scaling for my Panny RP91 was active - scales nonanamorphic to be anamorphic. It was active.

My bad.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
All is not lost for those who bought the game in hopes of having an anamorphic DVD. I've been playing The Thing for X-Box since last night, and it's been a blast so far...and it looks real purty in 480p. Nicely ties itself into the original movie so far too.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
If anyone bought the game for the DVD thinking it was anamorphic and doesn't want it, e-mail me, I'm interested in obtaining a copy of the DVD. Thanks.

BrandonJF

Second Unit
Nick - you're saying you're playing the game in 480p? Are you sure? My copy does not support 480p and is the second XBOX game I own to solely output an interlaced signal.

If your copy does... maybe they caught the error and fixed it on subsequent pressings?

Jussi Tarvainen

Second Unit
BTW, Kyle, that first screenshot you posted looks like it's from a film in the 1.85:1 aspect ratio. What film is the pic from, anyway? That's Ryan Phillippe, right?

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
Jussi: Baseless guess would be Antitrust. :) No, that's not 1.85:1, by the way. The JPEG itself is ~1.78:1, and after factoring in the letterboxing, the image is close to 2.35:1.

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
Adam is correct, the film is one of my guilty pleasures, Antitrust. I'm a sucker for pretty much any movie with Mr. Phillippe or Ms. Witherspoon-Phillippe in it.

My point for showing that capture is to show that PowerDVD places an anamorphic image into a 1.78:1 "box", while non-anamorphic goes into a 1.33:1 "box".

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
Brandon, I may just be retarded. I was under the assumption ALL X-Box games supported 480p out of the box.
Though even if it's not I guess I am sorta getting it in 48op due to my Panny's built in line doubler.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks