Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

5-channel amp upgrade

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   David Rudy

David Rudy

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted September 04 2002 - 11:42 AM

I am thinking of upgrading the sound of my receiver(Rotel RSX 965)with at least 150 watts of power from the likes of Adcom,ATI,B&K,Outlaw,Parasound or Rotel.I an using Klipsch Reference speakers all around.Any suggestions? Thanks
David Rudy

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   BobRoulier

BobRoulier

Second Unit

• 348 posts

Posted September 04 2002 - 01:11 PM

They all sound nice but I prefer parasoundPosted Image Its been said here before listen to them all and let your ears decidePosted Image

Bob

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   Wayne McRae

Wayne McRae

Stunt Coordinator

• 235 posts

Posted September 05 2002 - 03:09 AM

David,post your question in the receiver,seperates and amps area and you will get more help. I would look for a amp that leaned to the warm side to go with your Klipsch's like a B&K.

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   Kevin T

Kevin T

Screenwriter

• 1,407 posts

Posted September 05 2002 - 01:15 PM

having never heard any of them, i would have to say go with the parasound based upon their reputation alone. do you have any dealers close which would allow you to demo?

kevin t
religion is the opiate of the masses

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   David Rudy

David Rudy

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted September 05 2002 - 02:36 PM

As a matter of fact,I was trying to make a trade with The Stereo Trading Outlet in Penn. for a Parasound 2205at earlier this week.I gave them a list of speakers I have to trade and they said they would call me back and I never heard another word from them!What a class outfit!!Anyhow,there isn't a Parasound dealer within a 2 hour drive from me but if I can find a good deal online somewhere I may take the plunge.If anyone out there has upgraded there receiver with a higher power amp,please relay your thoughts...Thanks D.R.

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   CoreyH

CoreyH

Stunt Coordinator

• 63 posts

Posted September 06 2002 - 02:01 AM

I just installed a 3 channel amp into my system. I got an Adcom 5503 (200+ watts/ch X 3 channels)from a guy on Audiogon. This is being used for my mains and center, while I continue to let my Yammy receiver power the rears.

The Adcom was originally $1500, but I got it for less than half of that at Audiogon. It gets very good reviews, and is great quality. It also is a beast at almost 70lbs.

The difference between the Adcom and the internal Yamaha amps is actually quite substantial. The biggest difference I noticed was in the 'clarity' and amount of detail that is now audible. I hear sounds that I never new even existed before, and everything sounds much more crisp and clean.

From a price/performance standpoint, it is not the biggest improvement that I've made for ~$700. I added an as SVS for about the same amount, and it made a much bigger difference to the overall impact of my system. This is one of those upgrades that, in my opinion, should only be made after the other major components are of high quality as well (Subwoofer, Speakers, even the TV.) If you have all of those, and an outboard amp is the next logical step, then I am positive you will not be dissapointed in the improvement you will hear. Just don't be surprised if the Wife or Girlfriend isn't quite as impressed as you are yourself. The difference is substantial, but it is also very subtle.

Hope this helps,
C

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   Marc Alexander

Marc Alexander

Stunt Coordinator

• 134 posts

Posted September 10 2002 - 10:00 AM

Adcom and Klipsch are likely a bad combination. I would go with Parasound.
-------------------------
Equipment List
-------------------------
Mitsubishi 65807 HDTV
Kenwood VR-2090 DD/DTS Reciever; CD-3280 200 Disc ChangerKlipsch Synergy SpeakersKSF-10.5 mains; KSF-C5 center; KSF-S5 surrounds; KSW-300 subwooferOnkyo TX-DS474 DD ReceiverEnergy Take 5 SpeakersPanasonic...