Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

With HD-DVD around the corner, whose slowing down their DVD purchases?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
51 replies to this topic

#1 of 52 T r o y

T r o y

Supporting Actor

• 649 posts

Posted September 03 2002 - 11:35 AM

When HD-DVD does finally hit market, how will this affect are current DVD collections?

Will the titles we currently own on standard DVD now, be again released in the HD-DVD format? If so, are you going to re-purchase them?

If yes, are you slowing down or even halting your present DVD purchases just for the sheer fact that this may be a reality for a lot of us?

Would like your comments.

Regards,
Troy

Outlaw 750 5 CH AMP
Yamaha DSP-A1
Sony BDP-S550
Monster Power
Mitsibishi HC-1500Klipsch KLF20Klipsch KLFC7Klipsch KSP-S6Velodyne F-1800XR

#2 of 52 Rain

Rain

Producer

• 5,020 posts

Posted September 03 2002 - 11:37 AM

I'm not going to slow down.

Using that logic, there'd be no point in buying DVDs at all...or any other format, for there will always be a better one around the corner.

Life's too short.

"Imagine all the people, living life in peace..." - Imagine by John Lennon

#3 of 52 T r o y

T r o y

Supporting Actor

• 649 posts

Posted September 03 2002 - 11:46 AM

I don't own that many DVD's, roughly 50, but for those of you that own hundreds and hundreds of DVD's, it would seem rough that all of your titles would be eventually released in HD-DVD. Now knowing that, would you be tempted to go out and buy that same movie you already own in "The god-send HD-DVD" superior format at that time?
Outlaw 750 5 CH AMP
Yamaha DSP-A1
Sony BDP-S550
Monster Power
Mitsibishi HC-1500Klipsch KLF20Klipsch KLFC7Klipsch KSP-S6Velodyne F-1800XR

#4 of 52 Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer

Producer

• 5,593 posts

Posted September 03 2002 - 11:55 AM

I slowed way down on purchasing a couple of years ago, but it had nothing to do with HD DVD. There are some titles I would repurchase on HD DVD, but 90% of them I wouldn't - I just don't watch them enough to warrant it. If I had money to burn, and the new HD editions had enough to sway me, fine, but even the DVD editions of films that are supposed to be top notch are often marred by poor production choices, so I'd need to see the difference to be convinced.

#5 of 52 chris larralde

chris larralde

Stunt Coordinator

• 188 posts

Posted September 03 2002 - 12:04 PM

I won't slow down.

I'm still waiting for releases like "Lost Highway" to appear on regular old DVD. Who know how long that will take if I wait for HD-DVD!!

Life is too short to wait ... although I will replace my library when the new format becomes available.

#6 of 52 AaronMK

AaronMK

Supporting Actor

• 768 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted September 03 2002 - 12:17 PM

I'm not.

It's pretty much what Rain said.

I realize that there will be many movies that I will want to upgrade, but the movie being good enough to warrent an HD upgrade also makes it worth owning now.

#7 of 52 Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick

Screenwriter

• 2,358 posts

Posted September 03 2002 - 12:22 PM

I'm not going to stop buying DVDs. I haven't decided whether I'm going to be an early adopter of HD-DVD. It depends on whether we can successfully convince the various companies to agree on a single HD-DVD format. I'm more likely to be an early adopter if there is one format. If there are competitors then I'll wait. It also depends on the availability of movies. I may wait until every studio is on board. And I may be soured by HD-DVD if it sports a burdensome copy protection scheme; I won't be an early adopter of the product that rings in the digital dark age.

And whether I'll buy the same movie again on HD-DVD depends on the movie and on the quality of the HD-DVD vs. the DVD. For a lot of the DVDs I own, I have no intention of upgrading it to HD-DVD. I really ought to pare down my collection by getting rid of some of the watch-once DVDs I shouldn't have bought. Anybody want a viewed-once copy of Magnolia?

Of course, once HD-DVD becomes available, the studios have a very easy way to drive us to it: they can stop making widescreen DVDs.
Wayne Bundrick

"It tastes like there's a party in my mouth and everybody's throwing up!" -- Philip J. Fry

#8 of 52 Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,550 posts

Posted September 03 2002 - 12:28 PM

No.
And BTW... around the corner?

Cees

#9 of 52 Ricardo C

Ricardo C

Producer

• 5,060 posts

Posted September 03 2002 - 12:48 PM

What Cees said...

DISCUSSION on an eventual HD-DVD standard are under way, but the finished product is not "around the corner." When it is, I might skip some DVDs, if their HD version is guaranteed to come out soon after the format launches. Other than that, I'll buy regular DVDs alongside the HD discs.

Man, an hour wasted on this sig! Thanks, Toshiba! :P

#10 of 52 Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler

Producer

• 3,973 posts

Posted September 03 2002 - 01:24 PM

I wasn't an early adopter for DVD, and I don't think I will be for HD-DVD. Once it gets a more than fair amount of titles, then I will consider it. But it will take just as long (perhaps longer) for my favorite titles to arrive on HD-DVD as they did for DVD. So there is little point in not picking up a DVD release.

#11 of 52 Brenton

Brenton

Screenwriter

• 1,169 posts

Posted September 03 2002 - 01:44 PM

I would only repurchase movies that a) I really like and warrant repeated viewings, b) are "visual" films like Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, etc...

#12 of 52 Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,230 posts

Posted September 03 2002 - 01:58 PM

I will buy HD-DVD when it arrives, but I still think it is at least five years away - probably much longer. The masses are going to have to have more HDTVs before HD-DVD hits the market, in my opinion. DVHS is going to be the the "filler" until that time comes.

What I will do is sell all my DVDs (120 I have now) on EBay and get at least 60% of what I paid for them. Some titles I may hang on to because I'm not sure if we'll see them again - even on HD-DVD....sort of the same way certain VHS and laser discs will never reach any home video format again.

#13 of 52 Josh Simpson

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor

• 926 posts

Posted September 03 2002 - 02:11 PM

There's too much stuff coming out right now.....this fall for me to slow down. HD won't do me any good right now anyway. No slowin' down for me.

#14 of 52 Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer

Producer

• 3,759 posts

Posted September 03 2002 - 02:24 PM

1-HD-DVD is not "just around the corner"

2-My Widescreen HD-ready rptv has only component video inputs for HD, no DVI.
If the upcoming HD-DVD players won't output HD via component video and there are no cheap adapters available to make them usable with my tv, I'm not buying into HD-DVD until my next tv upgrade anyway.

3-I have an HD-tuner and get HBO and Showtime in HD. The picture quality of most films in HD is not that much better than 480p dvd. At least not enough to make me replace more than a small handful of my non-HD dvds. The video based HD stuff on HD-net is much better than 480p dvd due to the lack of film grain, but almost all my dvds are of film-based material where the difference isn't that great.

I don't visualize HD-dvd coming in less than 3 to 5 years, so see no reason not to go ahead and buy what I want now on regular dvd.

If D-VHS falls in price to $300 or so, and will pass 1080i from prerecorded movies via component video cables, I would consider buying into that format as a stopgap until HD-DVD comes along.
Steve S.
I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

#15 of 52 george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted September 03 2002 - 03:21 PM

Even if HD-DVD were around the corner, I wouldn't slow up my purchases for quite a while. I still have 60 some laser discs of my favorite movies that have yet to make it to dvd. God only knows how long until my hundreds of dvds make it to hd-dvd. I'll replace them as the become available, but I won't not purchase a dvd of a movie I want unless there's an announcement of that particular title coming to hd-dvd. Unfortunately, that's not going to happen anytime soon. Posted Image
"Movies should be like amusement parks. People should go to them to have fun." - Billy Wilder

"Subtitles good. Hollywood bad." - Tarzan, Sight & Sound 2012 voter.

"My films are not slices of life, they are pieces of cake." - Alfred Hitchcock"My great humility is just one of the many reasons that I...

#16 of 52 Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter

• 1,063 posts

Posted September 03 2002 - 03:25 PM

around the corner from when? 5 years?

#17 of 52 Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin

Producer

• 4,507 posts

Posted September 03 2002 - 03:34 PM

I wont slow down either. At least not until we have some type of "certainty" as to when HD-DVD will actually be released.

When it is, I will not replace my entire DVD collection, but only what I consider to be "must have" movies in High Def.

For ordinary men, it's a burning, fiery furnace.

#18 of 52 Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke

Screenwriter

• 2,249 posts

Posted September 03 2002 - 03:56 PM

Not I said the cat. My buying has increased as there have been alot of great catalogue titles finally seeing the light of day.

Bruce
The Mads are calling

#19 of 52 Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh

Screenwriter

• 2,968 posts

Posted September 03 2002 - 04:08 PM

I've just crossed 200 dvd's. There aren't many back catalogue titles that I want so I'm pretty much just buying new releases. When HD-DVD comes along I'll just switch to buying the new releases in HD-DVD. I'm with Brenton in that I'll only replace movies that I really like or that are visual movies. This would mostly just be action movies for me, but I'll only replace my favorites.

I never was into VHS or Laser Disc so I didn't have many or any titles to replace when I went to DVD.

#20 of 52 Rob FM

Rob FM

Second Unit

• 468 posts

Posted September 03 2002 - 05:30 PM

Didn't slow down on CD purchases for "SACD/HDCD/DVD-A"....not gonna for HD-DVD.

Who knows when they'll have it all worked out and have titles actually available.

P.S. .....Didn't wait for the Pentium 4s to hit the market either, I dived in & enjoyed what was available at the time.

~Rob