-

Photo

Sept. 11-related DVDs: the merged thread.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
46 replies to this topic

#1 of 47 OFFLINE   Jamie Cole

Jamie Cole

Stunt Coordinator

• 212 posts

Posted September 03 2002 - 07:33 AM

My wife, a schoolteacher, had never seen actual television coverage of the events of 9/11 until this weekend.

We picked up both the CNN and CBS DVDs of the news coverage from that day (the CBS one comes in a package with a book called "What We Saw") and watched them together. Obviously, none of the TVs in my wife's elementary school were tuned in to the footage since it would upset the young children.

The CNN DVD is as reverent as can be while still preserving the horror of the event, and goes beyond 9/11 by covering the president's historic speech to Congress (much of which is included as a supplement and is worth the price of purchase alone) and the members of Congress singing "God Bless America" on the steps of the Capitol.

The CBS DVD contains the actual special reports from the morning of 9/11, including the moment when Bryant Gumbel was interviewing an eyewitness and the second plane struck.

We were both moved to tears by the coverage documented on both discs.

For me, these two DVDs are invaluable. I want my children to know what this day was like. I wanted my wife to see what the media was like in its finest hours (I know that point is arguable, but being a news person myself I have long heard criticism of news outlets and this day and the day after, to me, was some of the most sensitive, informative reporting in the history of any medium).

On both, the 4:3 picture is excellent coming from video source material. I really didn't notice sound quality.

These are important historical documents and I couldn't recommend them more highly.
~Jamie
------
My home theater and DVD/LD library are online: www.jamie-cole.com

#2 of 47 OFFLINE   Marc Carra

Marc Carra

Supporting Actor

• 782 posts

Posted September 03 2002 - 08:57 AM

Jamie,

Thanks for the review. Did you get the CBS DVD directly from CBS or from a retailer?

Marc.

#3 of 47 OFFLINE   Kajs

Kajs

Second Unit

• 450 posts

Posted September 03 2002 - 09:19 AM

With a search at Amazon, it appears the CBS DVD comes with the book, its $20.97 there.

#4 of 47 OFFLINE   Jamie Cole

Jamie Cole

Stunt Coordinator

• 212 posts

Posted September 03 2002 - 10:15 AM

I picked the CBS DVD up at Barnes and Noble (it IS part of a set with a book) for 24.95. I probably could have gotten it cheaper if I had waited but I saw it on Sunday and I think today was the release date, so I didn't want to wait.

It should be at all your standard B&M bookstores. Best Buy in Birmingham DID NOT have it, but some Best Buys carry more books than others.

The DVD is in a cheap cardboard sleeve in the back of the book. If enough people want it, I made a DVD cover that can slip into a keepcase that I can post in PDF format.
~Jamie
------

#5 of 47 OFFLINE   Kajs

Kajs

Second Unit

• 450 posts

Posted September 03 2002 - 10:36 AM

Whats the length of the CBS DVD?

#6 of 47 OFFLINE   Joe Isham

Joe Isham

Stunt Coordinator

• 68 posts

Posted September 03 2002 - 11:22 AM

Jamie, I'd be interested in seeing the keepcase cover you came up with.

#7 of 47 OFFLINE   Tino

Tino

Producer

• 5,294 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted September 03 2002 - 11:36 AM

In Memoriam...New York City..9/11/01

Watching this HBO documentary almost a year later still brings back horrible memories of that tragic day.

The DVD that was released today is, IMO, as powerful as the upcoming CBS documentary 9-11. While the CBS documentary is more "personal", this one is more of a collection of footage from various sources, news stations, and normal people on the street. The horrors of that day are shown from many different perspectives and angles. All of them terribly moving and sad.

Holding it all together is a wonderful narration by the Honorable Rudolph W. Giuliani, the mayor of New York City and shows what a great leader he was on one of America's darkest days.

The video is 4:3 and the sound is DD 5.1. Both are fine. The running time is 60 minutes.

Extras include an interactive map of the disaster site and how to make donations.

A fitting testament to those who sacrificed themselves on that unimaginable day.
It's gonna be a hell of a ride. I'm ready. .

#8 of 47 OFFLINE   Calvin Watts III

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor

• 920 posts

Posted September 03 2002 - 12:22 PM

I just picked this up, & plan to watch it later.
Thanks,Tino, for the review...

#9 of 47 OFFLINE   Yumbo

Yumbo

Screenwriter

• 2,243 posts

Posted September 03 2002 - 12:31 PM

yes,

it is riveting and brought back tears.
video and sound quality is better than 9/11 from Paramount.

both are good to have.

#10 of 47 OFFLINE   David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Producer

• 5,736 posts

Posted September 03 2002 - 12:58 PM

I purchased this Book/DVD from Amazon. I checked out the book first....and it's excellent (IMO). Especially one chapter in particular, in which a WTC survivor relates how he narrowly escaped death from the 81st floor. A "lump-in-throat" chapter, to be sure. This gentleman wasn't injured badly, but had "147 fiberglass splinters" removed from his eyes! That made me wonder about all the other people who were in such close proximity to the towers that must have also suffered some degree of eye damage due to the massive amounts of dust/debris created by the collapse.

There are many other gut-wrenching accounts in the CBS What We Saw hardcover book as well. I'm looking forward to viewing the DVD.

Someone asked about the running time of this DVD. I was wondering this myself when I ordered it. It doesn't give a time, but does state that it's a "full-length DVD". Which, I would take to mean approx. a 2-hour program.

Jamie (above) said he made his own cover art for a keepcase. I, too, did this. I don't have any fancy graphics software, though. I simply copied the book's front and back covers (and spine); shrinking them in size to fit inside a DVD case. Came out pretty good too. Is this similar to how you did it, Jamie?

Posted Image
"WHAT WE SAW" ; Book/DVD Set

#11 of 47 OFFLINE   Christopher D

Christopher D

Second Unit

• 283 posts

Posted September 03 2002 - 01:36 PM

The CBS DVD is, IIRC, a little over two hours long and a good value. It has several of the "60 Minutes" pieces that ran on families, firefighters, etc in addition to excerpts from the broadcast coverage.

I still would very much like to see an uncut DVD of one of the network's news broadcasts for the first 6 hours or so of the day.

#12 of 47 OFFLINE   Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin

Producer

• 4,507 posts

Posted September 03 2002 - 03:49 PM

Thanks for the mini review.

I agree that having some type of record of this tragic event is invaluable. I have two very young daughters, and I want them to be able to fully appreciate what happened on 9/11 when they get older. These DVD's sound like they would help do just that.

For ordinary men, it's a burning, fiery furnace.

#13 of 47 OFFLINE   David Glenn

David Glenn

Second Unit

• 333 posts

Posted September 03 2002 - 04:36 PM

Just watched it tonight. My wife and I went through a box of tissues.

I like the fact that all the proceeds are being donated to 9/11 related funds.
Xbox Gamertag: WetWork

#14 of 47 OFFLINE   Jamie Cole

Jamie Cole

Stunt Coordinator

• 212 posts

Posted September 04 2002 - 01:43 AM

My keepcase cover is a bit more stylized. I'll post it later today when I find some server space. Posted Image

~Jamie
~Jamie
------

#15 of 47 OFFLINE   Eric Fisher

Eric Fisher

Stunt Coordinator

• 172 posts

Posted September 04 2002 - 02:11 AM

Has anyone purchased the HBO dvd about 9/11?

#16 of 47 OFFLINE   ashley c

ashley c

Stunt Coordinator

• 218 posts

Posted September 04 2002 - 02:29 AM

With the 3 main 9-11 dvds coming out (HBO, CNN, CBS) though I would like all 3, I'm not sure which ones I want to buy. It seems like they all got good reviews so I'm still undecided. Just wondering about the thoughts from others, which one are you buying and why?

#17 of 47 OFFLINE   DanHaya

DanHaya

Second Unit

• 294 posts

Posted September 04 2002 - 02:50 AM

Quote:
I still would very much like to see an uncut DVD of one of the network's news broadcasts for the first 6 hours or so of the day.

I totally agree...but I think it will be a long time (if ever) before we see one of the networks release their live broadcasts from 9/11. I thought that one of them might step up with somehting like that for the first anniversary, but it looks like this CBS disc is the closest we're gonna get for the time being.

For those of you that might be interested, there's a really good website that is archiving the various network broadcasts from 9/11 and the first few days after. The URL is [url=http://www.televisionarchive.org]. You can watch or listen to every network's live coverage in RealVideo (or RealAudio) format in 30 minute increments. It's streaming, so you can't save it to your hard drive, but it's really fascinating to see the different perspectives that each network brought to the events. Definitely worth checking out.

#18 of 47 OFFLINE   John Gallagher

John Gallagher

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted September 04 2002 - 03:41 AM

I think the best overview and the most definitive collection of attack footage is provided by the HBO special, "In Memoriam: September 11, 2001".
But CBS's "9/11 – The Filmmakers' Commemorative Edition" is unique in providing an inside look at event in and around WTC 1 with the first firefighters on the scene.
Also worth a look is the NOVA documentary "Why the Towers Fell", which is better than the Discovery documentary on the same topic.
And if you have any money left, checkout "World Trade Center: A Modern Marvel: 1973-2001" from the History Channel.

#19 of 47 OFFLINE   Phil Florian

Phil Florian

Screenwriter

• 1,190 posts

Posted September 04 2002 - 03:44 AM

None. I have been trying to get the repeated gory details out of my head for a year. Thanks to current Sept. coverage, who needs a DVD? Just turn on the TV and start taping! (/rant)

Phil

#20 of 47 OFFLINE   Jamie Cole

Jamie Cole

Stunt Coordinator

• 212 posts

Posted September 04 2002 - 04:12 AM

You can download the keepcase cover from my web site (located in my signature) for free. There are two versions, high-res and low-res.

There's also a sample of it on my site you can see it before you commit to a ~2MB download.
~Jamie
------