-

Photo

JBL SCS135 or SCS150 or something else

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   NeilO

NeilO

Screenwriter

• 2,611 posts

Posted September 02 2002 - 06:45 AM

I was thinking of trying to get either the JBL SCS135 or SCS150 speaker package. I went to Best Buy and saw the JBL SCS135 and they really looked quite small and "cheap". Unfortunately, I couldn't hear them as things weren't hooked up properly there. I was wondering if they would work for our living room or not. Maybe they are more designed for closed in bedrooms.

Our living room has one full wall (---) (about 17 ft.) which the tv is in the middle of. Another wall which has two windows ([[[) (about 14'). There are about a couple yrds of full wall (---), gap, then a diagonal partial height wall (///), and then another gap. I was thinking one rear speaker would fit on the partial wall, another on top of a bookcase.

-------------
[.............
[............./
[............/
[----...../

Would the SCS150 be better or would I really need to go for a more expensive set of speakers. We have a 27" TV. I have not decided on a receiver yet and have a DVD player and a VCR. I plan on using this system solely for TV and movies. We have our regular stereo stuff in another room.

Thanks,

Neil

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor

• 526 posts

Posted September 02 2002 - 09:49 AM

NielO,

I havent heard the 135, but did audition the 150, and although it was a good, I think you could get a better system with

JBL NSP1 $199
Sony SA-WM40 $150

For me you cant beat this set for $350. And for DVD check Panasonic RP82 or Sony 755.

Hope this helps,
Pablo Abularach

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   NeilO

NeilO

Screenwriter

• 2,611 posts

Posted September 03 2002 - 12:56 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. So, there would no compatability problems using the Sony subwoofer, as opposed to one of the JBL ones (which do look slightly more expensive for the same size).

Thanks again,

Neil

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor

• 526 posts

Posted September 03 2002 - 02:57 AM

NielO,

The sony SA-WM40 has being getting great reviews in here, search the forums, is one of the most suggested Subs for an entry level system, and the price makes it very atractive also.

I think you wont have any problem blending the sub to the NSP1. I have JBL S sereis speakers with an SVS 25-31PCi, and for me it matches perfectly.

With speakers of different brand or even diferent series you could have a timbre mismatch by mixing, but with sub, being the only one that will reproduce low frecuencies (seting the speakers as small), you wont have any problems at all.

Hope this helps,
Pablo Abularach

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   Rich.Swolf

Rich.Swolf

Auditioning

• 14 posts

Posted September 04 2002 - 05:54 PM

Hey Pablo, where did you find the JBL NSP-1's for $199? I'm buying at that price. Thanks.

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor

• 526 posts

Posted September 05 2002 - 01:56 AM

Rich,

JandR.com had it at $200 last month, I just check their website and they have it at $250 (free shipping), maybe you can call them and ask them if they can lower it again.

The lowest that I have seen it right now is Etronics.com
JBL NSP1 5-piece Home-Cinema Package $209

And also you could buy the here the sub
Sony SA-WM40 Active Subwoofer $150

The only thing expensive will be the shipping $70, so you could build your system for $430

Hope this helps,
Pablo Abularach

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   NeilO

NeilO

Screenwriter

• 2,611 posts

Posted September 05 2002 - 04:52 AM

Thanks for the information. J&R do have some price matching, but presumably they'd only match etronics (if they qualify) up to the price at etronics with shipping.

Neil