Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Superbit Survey

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
34 replies to this topic

#1 of 35 Quint van der Vaart

Quint van der Vaart

Second Unit

• 336 posts

Posted September 02 2002 - 01:53 AM

I just looked at the Superbit site and saw that they are holding a survey regarding the Superbitline.

You get around 13 questions about Superbit and you can also leave some comment/suggestions on there as well.

For anyone who wants to give their opinion about Superbit go to www.superbitdvd.com and do the survey.
"So Dark The Con Of Man"

The Da Vinci Code opening Worldwide on May 19th 2006

#2 of 35 Chris Tedesco

Chris Tedesco

Second Unit

• 421 posts

Posted September 02 2002 - 02:48 AM

I just took the survey, from the looks of titles that they are thinking about transferring over to SB, I don't think the company is going to be around long. Most of those aren't worthy of Superbit titles. I hope they get there act together.Posted Image

#3 of 35 Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,489 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted September 02 2002 - 03:09 AM

That list of potential titles is very sad. What on earth are they thinking? Most of those titles are more suited to a budget release, not SuperBit treatment.
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#4 of 35 shane_watson

shane_watson

Stunt Coordinator

• 125 posts

Posted September 02 2002 - 03:14 AM

at least there asking our opinions on what they need to release on sb in stead of jumping the gun,although from that list i can think of of lot better movies that could use the sb treatment.

#5 of 35 Ray H

Ray H

Producer

• 3,471 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted September 02 2002 - 03:50 AM

It was a very nice survey, though I never bought a Superbit title before and mean not to. Anyway, out of the titles listed, Spider-Man, Lawrence of Arabia, Men In Black, and Bridge on the River Kwai seem nice.
"Here's looking at you, kid."

#6 of 35 Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,217 posts

Posted September 02 2002 - 04:01 AM

I think this survery indicates one thing: we are going to see a Superbit Spiderman.

#7 of 35 Chad R

Chad R

Screenwriter

• 2,174 posts

Posted September 02 2002 - 04:02 AM

I don't know, I was kinda interseted in some of those titles that a few would probably classify as a waste. I'm sure I'm in a minority but I ranked 'Sense and Sensibility' as one I'd most like to buy on superbit. It's just a lovely movie that maybe the extra bit space would make even lovelier.

#8 of 35 Brett Miles

Brett Miles

Stunt Coordinator

• 107 posts

Posted September 02 2002 - 04:03 AM

I thought it was pretty good as far as surveys go. Thanks for the heads up. I didn't think the titles were that bad, either. I think there would be a lot of interest around here about LOA (this is their chance to fix some errors) and any kind of potential non-flipper "Das Boot." Make sure to leave some comments at the end! I asked for simultaneous announcements (to minimize double-dipping) and full-rate DTS instead of DD 5.1 .

#9 of 35 Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist

Executive Producer

• 11,286 posts

Posted September 02 2002 - 04:24 AM

There are a lot of titles on there that need reissues

Das Boot- non-flipper
Lawrence of Arabia- Correct color timing
Bridge on the River Kwai- Couldn't hurt, if it's markebly better I'd buy

#10 of 35 Paul W

Paul W

Second Unit

• 468 posts

Posted September 02 2002 - 04:40 AM

I did a quick check at IMDB and it seems that Sony/Columbia Tri-Star doesn't have a good catalog to choose from (that is worth the Superbit Purchase. Most of the really good movies are too old to benefit from the DTS soundtrack.

This is probably a good idea that is hampered by the catalog.

I would love to see Das Boot, Bridge on the River Kwai, Lawrence, Close Encounters, Taxi Driver with maximum video bitrates and no DTS sound (unless it can be optimized to sace space since these are not multitrack movies).
"Hairs are your aerials. They pick up signals from the cosmos, and transmit them directly into the brain. This is the reason bald-headed men are uptight." —Danny, Withnail and I

#11 of 35 Andy Kim

Andy Kim

Second Unit

• 252 posts

Posted September 02 2002 - 04:42 AM

I would purchase Superbit over a regular/SE all the time. I just wish they would announce them sooner. With Spiderman and BHD:SE coming out in the near future, I would like to avoid double dipping with these titles.

#12 of 35 Geoff_D

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor

• 884 posts

Posted September 02 2002 - 05:00 AM

I want the MiB Superbit edition 'cos my region 2 version is badly color-timed, with everyone's skin tones having a distinct two-tone effect to them. Still, I'll only have to wait until the middle of October for the region 2 MiB Superbit - hurrah! And I've bought Superbit before, it's just a shame that on this occasion I'm buying because of a poor transfer on the original DVD.

#13 of 35 Quint van der Vaart

Quint van der Vaart

Second Unit

• 336 posts

Posted September 02 2002 - 05:37 AM

I think Columbia Tristar is doing a good thing making this survey possible.

Anyway I think they should release the Superbit dvd's much earlier with the first dvdrelease of their titles like Spider-Man or Black Hawk Down.
And what realy would be perfect is releasing them as Superbit Deluxe editions.
Then you have both ways, good sound/picture and the extra's Posted Image
"So Dark The Con Of Man"

The Da Vinci Code opening Worldwide on May 19th 2006

#14 of 35 Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair

Producer

• 3,320 posts

Posted September 02 2002 - 06:30 AM

Thanks for the "heads up"!
Would like to know how many filled out the survey checked the full screen box.
SB P&S!
Posted Image
Movies are: "The Greatest Artform".
HD should be for EVERYONE!

#15 of 35 Peter Overduin

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor

• 781 posts

Posted September 02 2002 - 07:05 AM

I hope they are following this thread and take our input seriously. I took the survey as well and trust that it serves as a wake-up call. Panic Room is the first time CTS has taken an ethical and common-sense approach to SB. I'll bet it pays off and gets them to give their heads a collective shake.
Peter

My Collection

#16 of 35 Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell

Producer

• 3,761 posts

Posted September 02 2002 - 07:11 AM

Quote:
I just took the survey, from the looks of titles that they are thinking about transferring over to SB, I don't think the company is going to be around long.

I'm quite sure that Sony will not go out of business due to their choice of Superbit releases. Posted Image

DJ

#17 of 35 Nathan A

Nathan A

Second Unit

• 353 posts

Posted September 02 2002 - 07:40 AM

another DVD release of MiB would be funny...

#18 of 35 Andy_MT

Andy_MT

Second Unit

• 486 posts

Posted September 02 2002 - 08:05 AM

surprised there are no plans for a release of "the sixth day". based on previous titles, this one seems like superbit fodder ...

#19 of 35 Ed Vandeweerd

Ed Vandeweerd

Stunt Coordinator

• 206 posts

Posted September 02 2002 - 12:04 PM

As I pointed out in the survey there are Columbia Tristar Titles that could benefit from Superbit Technology due to poor existing transfers. I noted popular back catalogue titles like 1. Blue Thunder
2. Single White Female
It would be interesting to know if theatrically there were DTS tracks available. I think these deserve a 2nd look. Also asked them to quit with the "double dipping" and do it right the first time. Superbit Deluxe on all CTHV product that would benefit from a DTS track assuming that theatrically there was one available.
Ed Vandeweerd
Evan@shawlink.ca
my collection

#20 of 35 Bill J

Bill J

Producer

• 3,970 posts

Posted September 02 2002 - 05:54 PM

Quote:
And what realy would be perfect is releasing them as Superbit Deluxe editions. Then you have both ways, good sound/picture and the extra's.

But, then you won't get any commentary tracks, so what's the point?

Forum Nav Content I Follow