What's new

Tiny Speakers that the wife will approve of? (1 Viewer)

Can anyone point me in the direction of small "Bose - like" speakers that are almost invisible, yet produce excellent sound for my Home Theater/Music room? It may come to a divorce, but I'm hoping someone out there has a less drastic solution.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Energy and Paradigm sell some small speakers, but not sure they are as small as the BOSE cubes. You might also look into in-wall speakers, also.

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
Steven,
B&W makes a pair of small speakers, called the leisure monitors...LM1
They also have the 600 series
601s are a bit smaller than your "average" bookshelf speaker and the 602s are a little larger than the "average" bookshelf.
Both look very nice with a high SAF
Jeremy

mctague

Stunt Coordinator
I double what Stephen Dodds says: Gallo.
My local dealer doesn't have them setup with a flip, but I like them for a few reasons:
1. full range speaker: no tweeter/mid-range cross over to mess things up
2. efficient! 92db maybe?
3. designer-colors, for her.
These are what I'd like to do in our bedroom, if it weren't for the fact that I have abunch of bookshelf speakers laying around.
The only bad thing is I suspect you'll need to cross them over fairly high if you use them with a sub. Which implies little base if you don't plan on using a sub.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
The Energy Take 5 system gathered stellar reviews for a micro speaker system. Its available in white and black so should be easy to hide.
------------------
http://www.attcanada.ca/~itisi

SimonT

Grip
I like the Energy Encore system...I demoed the sytem and it really surprised me for a sub/sat system. Didn't surpise me that much though as I didn't buy it.
biggrin.gif

------------------
MY HOME THEATER

KevinW

Stunt Coordinator
Also check out the Defenitive Technology Pro Cinema 80 or 100 system. The 80 is the smallest of the bunch, but the 100 is worth the small increase in size and price. These speakers are very attractive with the best sound quality I've found in a sub/sat system of this size. The 100's are about 10" tall without the table-top stand, that can double as a wall mount. The 100 system retails for $1350, while the 80 system comes in somewhere around the $1000 mark.
I've had my set for over a year now and I'm still amazed by the huge sound that comes from these speakers. They were also "wife approved", and my wife is an interior designer.
Check 'em out.

John Gates

Second Unit
Check out the Norh Prism 3.0 (http://www.norh.com). These are highly unusual and made from Teak. VERY high WAF because they look more like artwork than speakers. Check out both the Prism line and the 3.0 / 4.0 drum series. These speakers sound AWESOME, they're beautiful, and they're VERY reasonably priced.
Looks aren't for everyone, but I sure like 'em. My wife loves them.
John
------------------

MichaelW

Stunt Coordinator
I would also highly recommend the Definitive Technology ProCinema 80's. I think they are an outstanding system for the price. I also demo'd the Energy Take 5 system prior to purchase and those were excellent speakers as well.
Both are very high on the wife-approval factor scale....

John_Bonner

Supporting Actor
The Energy satellites are about twice the size of the Bose "cubes" (and are probably 1/2 the price!). The sound is awesome and the glossy black finish looks great.

Alex F.

Second Unit
They're larger than requested, but your wife may not mind at all when she sees the visually stunning Sonus Faber Concertino Homes (see sumikoaudio.com). Georgeous (high-end) sound too, of course. Performance is far beyond that of any mini-speaker.
When my wife first saw Sonus Faber's Concertinos and Concertos, her immediate reaction was, "Wow, they're beautiful." They're the type of product that one wants to see them, not hide them.

Brian Corr

Supporting Actor
I would also recommend the Def. Tech Pro Monitor's. I used to have the 100's and they are awesome little speakers.
Try and get the biggest center channel you can regardless of what speakers you get.

Craig F

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig
I will add my vote to the Def Tech ProCinema 80. The satellites are only 4 lbs, sound great and come in black and white.

Manuel Delaflor

Supporting Actor
For something really small you can buy computer speakers like the Cambridge Soundworks DTT3500.
The system is REALLY small and it doesn't sound bad at all (for a small room).
------------------

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
If going with the Gallo option (and visually they are darn attractive, IMHO) the only sensible choice (again IMHO) would be to go with the Gallo powered sub too. Easy to hide - or darned attractive if you don't want to.
------------------
/Kimmo

JohnFR

Stunt Coordinator
The little Def Techs are a bargain. I heard a pair of the Def Tech ProCinema 100s. They produce amazing sound for their size. It's worth the extra $$ to go for the 100s over the 80s, IMO. I'm interested in them myself so here's the specs:
ProMonitor 100 Specifications: Dimensions: 10"H x 5.9"W x 5.7"D. Response: 50Hz-30kHz. Nominal Imp.: 4-8 ohms. Rec. Assoc. Amp: 10-175 watts. Driver: 5.25" cast-basket bass midrange driver, 1" pure aluminum dome tweeter. Retail: $175.00 ea.

Greg Thomas

Second Unit
Love my Energy Take 5's. Got them at Good Guys a few months back for $249. Since the Take 5.2 has come out, GG has been blowing out the orignal speakers. They come in black or white too.
Not sure if GG is in your area though. But maybe you can find a comparable price out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks