-

Photo

The Killing, Killer's Kiss, Paths Of Glory

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 OFFLINE   MatS

MatS

Screenwriter

• 1,599 posts

Posted August 31 2002 - 04:14 PM

I am a HUGE Kubrick fan yet I have never seen the movies in the subject heading (this 50's output). With the recent re-release of R. Dogs I'm wondering if maybe now is the time to at least start with The Killing.

Any recommendations
How do these movies hold up to his later day works (Spartacus , Lolita on...)
I'm sure I won't stand a very good chance either at finding these at my local BBV. They all look like they can be had for purchase for a good price.

#2 of 12 OFFLINE   Matthew Watson

Matthew Watson

Stunt Coordinator

• 52 posts

Posted August 31 2002 - 04:26 PM

I too am a huge fan of Kubrick. I've not seen Killer's Kiss yet (I have a taped-from-cable copy floating around my archives somewhere), but the other two are fantastic.

Paths of Glory is gut wrenching. Stunning. Incredible camera work, especially during the scenes in the trenches (film takes place during WWI), and that's just one of the technical achievements. I'd recommend it to people who say they don't like Kubrick based on 2001, et al.

I've seen the Killing just once, about twelve years ago, and I recall it fondly, but it's been too long for me to have a lucid recollection and reaction to it.

#3 of 12 OFFLINE   Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese

Screenwriter

• 2,614 posts

Posted August 31 2002 - 04:26 PM

Paths of Glory is one of his best (#3 on my own list behind 2001 and Dr. Strangelove). It would be just about ANY other director's best film - it's that good. See it immediately Posted Image .

The Killing is a very exciting thriller and its structure was used - to very good effect, IMO - in Reservoir Dogs. Lots of great acting by familiar Hollywood faces. Again, this one is in the top half of Kubrick's work.

Killer's Kiss is a little crude (all of the dialog was done in post-production) but, aside from one sequence that strikes of "padding", is also a pretty engaging thriller. Very visually assured, particularly since this was only Kubrick's second feature. There are many echoes of later Kubrick films in KK, particularly 2001's Stargate sequence.

Bottom line: If you like Kubrick's later work, you'll like these. Since you can find these for under $10 apiece, they are all worth owning.
"What we're fighting for, in the end...we're fighting for each other." - Col. Joshua Chamberlain in "Gettysburg"

#4 of 12 OFFLINE   Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra

Producer

• 3,501 posts

Posted September 01 2002 - 12:55 AM

Here's how I would rate these films:

1. Paths Of Glory - A classic. No doubt.
2. The Killing - A Highly Influential Film
3. Killer's Kiss

~Edwin
DVD Unwind: Paradise Now (Coming) • King Kong - - • KeaneThe Squid And The WhaleA History Of ViolenceHarry Potter and the Goblet of FireThe Best Of Youth (Italy) • Good Night And Good LuckHowl's Moving CastleWalk The Line - - • ZathuraNorth Country

#5 of 12 OFFLINE   Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter

• 1,035 posts

Posted September 01 2002 - 02:22 AM

The fact that most Kubrick films weren't available in Europe at the time I bought a DVD-player, was the main reason I bought a multi-region player.

As I'd already owned Paths Of Glory on VHS, my first DVD purchases were The Killing and Killer's Kiss. Before I discovered out the convenience of importing through on line shops BTW, and I paid around $30 each Posted Image .

Despite the fact that the three MGM discs are bare-bones, at the current price you really can't go wrong.
The Killing (9/10) and Paths Of Glory (10/10) are absolute must-haves.
I didn't think Killer's Kiss was that great, but it was still nice to see, though a bit short.
E-Mail | Collection

#6 of 12 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted September 01 2002 - 08:11 AM

What Peter said. See them--own them--all.

Paths of Glory is brilliant, The Killing is a hell of a heist thriller, and Killer's Kiss shows the filmmaker putting it all together, so to speak.

If you ever get a chance--and such chances are becoming increasingly rare--see Fear and Desire. As with Killer's Kiss, the dialogue was dubbed during post production. Crude as hell, but fascinating to any Stanley Kubrick fan.

#7 of 12 OFFLINE   Mitty

Mitty

Supporting Actor

• 886 posts

Posted September 01 2002 - 08:38 AM

Killer's Kiss definitely has flashes of brilliance, even if the whole isn't entirely successful. It includes a couple of very technically proficient fight scenes - one in the boxing ring (a la Raging Bull), one in a mannequin warehouse (this scene reminds me strangely of Alex in 'Clockwork' assaulting the woman with the penis sculpture). Also, a wonderful exposition scene is narrated overtop of a woman dancing in a single spotlight. He also expertly stages a beating/murder offscreen, using only shadow to suggest what's happening.

It's worth seeing...and owning. Definitely.

Killer's Kiss has, to me, one of the greatest endings of any noir ever. It's so efficiently pessimistic and cynical that it's unforgettable. Of course, one might argue that it's more of a caper film than a noir, but far be it from Kubrick to not genre hop. Posted Image

#8 of 12 OFFLINE   MatS

MatS

Screenwriter

• 1,599 posts

Posted September 01 2002 - 09:19 AM

thanx for the feedback gentlemen, I think I will start with either Paths or The Killing....I'll let you know what I think after viewing.

#9 of 12 OFFLINE   Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter

• 1,035 posts

Posted September 02 2002 - 02:58 AM

Quote:
If you ever get a chance--and such chances are becoming increasingly rare--see Fear and Desire. As with Killer's Kiss, the dialogue was dubbed during post production. Crude as hell, but fascinating to any Stanley Kubrick fan
Are the VHS copies on eBay bootlegs, or is it perfectly legal to buy/watch them?
E-Mail | Collection

#10 of 12 OFFLINE   Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese

Screenwriter

• 2,614 posts

Posted September 02 2002 - 03:08 AM

There has never been a legitimate video release of Fear and Desire as far as I can determine. Kubrick (or, now, his estate) own the movie outright and have never sanctioned a video release. So, all thinks considered, these would probably qualify as bootlegs.
"What we're fighting for, in the end...we're fighting for each other." - Col. Joshua Chamberlain in "Gettysburg"

#11 of 12 OFFLINE   MatS

MatS

Screenwriter

• 1,599 posts

Posted September 14 2002 - 08:51 AM

The Killing and Paths arrived today from DDD ($20 total shipped for both). Now to decide which to watch first. Posted Image

#12 of 12 OFFLINE   MatS

MatS

Screenwriter

• 1,599 posts

Posted September 14 2002 - 12:40 PM

can anyone else who owns The Killing confirm that there are some audio 'pops' on this disc. Ex chapter 4, 4-5 seconds in. Yes, I know this is an older movie, just wanting to make sure the disc is not defective.