What's new

The Mask of Zorro Superbit edition. (1 Viewer)

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
I love this movie. Very entertaining. And it is Catherine Zeata Jones at her best! Anyway just wanted to let you know that the Superbit release date on it is 09/17. Man September and November are getting very expensive.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I already re-purchased the SE version after selling off my original version. Is this new version superbit or superbit deluxe?

Armand G

Stunt Coordinator
The new version is Superbit Deluxe. I also sold my original for the SE. Again I sold my SE knowing the SB Deluxe was coming out.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I will definitely wait and see what the differences are in PQ and SQ between the two versions but I doubt that I will upgrade again.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
I had the very first original that came out. I sold it to buy the SE but never ended up gettin the SE. I am so glad that I didn't. Neil, you asked if it Deluxe. What is the difference?

Brajesh Upadhyay

Supporting Actor
"Deluxe" has supplements on disc 2, with just the movie in DD/DTS on disc 1. This version will be the 3rd time around for me too (too good a HT showoff movie & a fun one at that to pass up).

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
The Mask of Zorro - Special Edition does have dts audio. The Superbit Deluxe version will just drop the audio commentary on the first disc and the 4:3 pan & scan version on the second disc.

I'm keeping the Special Edition unless they find a way to make the dts soundtrack sound better than it is now.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I got suckered into buy the last SE. The buck stops there for me. It's a great transfer, has an additional commentary track that won't be on the Superbit Deluxe (by the nature of the format) and has decent audio.

I have never repurchased a title and don't plan to start with this.

Talal

Stunt Coordinator
this is a guilty pleasure of mine...
i'll definitely be pickin up the SB deluxe.

greg_t

Screenwriter
I can't believe we still don't have many classic films on dvd, but we're on our third release of Mask of Zorro. I really like this movie but unless the superbit is a major leap in video quality, I won't be upgrading.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
I got suckered into buy the last SE. The buck stops there for me.
Ditto. The Se has a phenomenal transfer and soundtrack. This film didn't need to be released again. Just another reason Columbia is regarded as ridiculous when it comes to re-releases. I gotta hand it to Columbia/Sony, whatever they are. The milk this SB mess to death.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
I do have to say that some of these re-releases on Superbit is getting a little ridiculous. If I did own the SE I would not be buying it, but because I have no version right now, I will definately pick up the Superbit version. Might as well get a little better picture and sound quality. But other movies that I own the normal edition such as Vertical Limit, I won't be purchasing the Superbit edition. I have heard some say that the picture and sound quality on the Superbit title is definately something you will notice but I can't beleive that it can get much better than my standard edition. I know this word is thrown around alot, but the standard edition is reference quality. The picture is beautiful and the sound blows me away. So how much better can the SB be?

Chauncey_G

Second Unit
I got the original release, but did not spring for the SE. I like this movie enough to go ahead and get the Superbit Deluxe since I didn't get the SE.

This'll be my first Superbit DVD. I'll be interested to see if I can tell any difference.

Ken Bentley

Second Unit
i held of buying this dvd for the simple reason i figured they woudl make a superbit version of this. so i will get it when it comes out. but if i did own the se already i doubt i would upgrade. from the sounds of it it seems liek its the same as the se....

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
If I did own the SE I would not be buying it, but because I have no version right now, I will definately pick up the Superbit version.
I'm the same way! I'll buy a SB if I don't have that film on DVD. However, they can do those 2-disc DVDs every bit as good as SB DVDs if they wanted to. I'd argue that the Mask of Zorro SE is as good as some SB titles.

DanR

Supporting Actor
I'd argue that the Mask of Zorro SE is as good as some SB titles.
Yeah, until you compare the SE to the original release and note that some of the fine detail from the previous transfer is not there.

The SuperBit version will simply trade the commentary whilst hopefully restoring the fine detail to the video. I'll take that, along with the ability to play the movie in DTS. Mask Of Zorro Superbit is SOLD. The original version and the SE will be unloaded on the local replay DVD store for $6 each (or at EB for a trade in 2 get one free offer).

Regards,
Dan

DeanWalsh

Second Unit
I have the SE and am more than happy with it... give me a Starship Troopers Superbit instead, I want a dts version!

Ed Vandeweerd

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff,
I will pick up a Superbit Deluxe "Mask of Zorro" and turf the SE in protest for the studio's inclusion of a Full frame version in the SE. Good coaster material in my book!;)

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
So it sounds as if the SE edition is lower quality than the original? Thats scarry. I figured that they would have made it even better than the original if it is a special edition. I am glad I didn't buy it. Because the only thing I even care about is the picture and sound quality. All the extras I can do without. I don't know about you but I sure as heck don't spend 10 hrs watching all the extra crap that they put on dvd's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks