Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

The Mask of Zorro Superbit edition.

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 of 37 OFFLINE   Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter

• 1,551 posts

Posted August 28 2002 - 05:12 AM

I love this movie. Very entertaining. And it is Catherine Zeata Jones at her best! Anyway just wanted to let you know that the Superbit release date on it is 09/17. Man September and November are getting very expensive.
"I'm your Huckleberry"

#2 of 37 OFFLINE   Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph

Lead Actor

• 8,341 posts

Posted August 28 2002 - 05:32 AM

I already re-purchased the SE version after selling off my original version. Is this new version superbit or superbit deluxe?
Click and enter " T H E . H O L O D E C K "
---------------------------------------------------------
My Home Theatre "The Holodeck"

#3 of 37 OFFLINE   Armand G

Armand G

Stunt Coordinator

• 151 posts

Posted August 28 2002 - 05:45 AM

The new version is Superbit Deluxe. I also sold my original for the SE. Again I sold my SE knowing the SB Deluxe was coming out.
Hometheater Rules!

#4 of 37 OFFLINE   Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph

Lead Actor

• 8,341 posts

Posted August 28 2002 - 06:20 AM

I will definitely wait and see what the differences are in PQ and SQ between the two versions but I doubt that I will upgrade again.
Click and enter " T H E . H O L O D E C K "
---------------------------------------------------------
My Home Theatre "The Holodeck"

#5 of 37 OFFLINE   Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter

• 1,551 posts

Posted August 28 2002 - 06:27 AM

I had the very first original that came out. I sold it to buy the SE but never ended up gettin the SE. I am so glad that I didn't. Neil, you asked if it Deluxe. What is the difference?
"I'm your Huckleberry"

#6 of 37 OFFLINE   Brajesh Upadhyay

Brajesh Upadhyay

Supporting Actor

• 791 posts

Posted August 28 2002 - 06:34 AM

"Deluxe" has supplements on disc 2, with just the movie in DD/DTS on disc 1. This version will be the 3rd time around for me too (too good a HT showoff movie & a fun one at that to pass up).
Home Theater Addict

#7 of 37 OFFLINE   rutger_s

rutger_s

Supporting Actor

• 878 posts

Posted August 28 2002 - 07:21 AM

The Mask of Zorro - Special Edition does have dts audio. The Superbit Deluxe version will just drop the audio commentary on the first disc and the 4:3 pan & scan version on the second disc. I'm keeping the Special Edition unless they find a way to make the dts soundtrack sound better than it is now.

#8 of 37 ONLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 15,201 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted August 28 2002 - 07:34 AM

I got suckered into buy the last SE. The buck stops there for me. It's a great transfer, has an additional commentary track that won't be on the Superbit Deluxe (by the nature of the format) and has decent audio. I have never repurchased a title and don't plan to start with this.

#9 of 37 OFFLINE   Talal

Talal

Stunt Coordinator

• 141 posts

Posted August 28 2002 - 08:20 AM

this is a guilty pleasure of mine... i'll definitely be pickin up the SB deluxe.

#10 of 37 OFFLINE   greg_t

greg_t

Screenwriter

• 1,654 posts

Posted August 28 2002 - 01:03 PM

I can't believe we still don't have many classic films on dvd, but we're on our third release of Mask of Zorro. I really like this movie but unless the superbit is a major leap in video quality, I won't be upgrading.

#11 of 37 OFFLINE   Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,692 posts

Posted August 28 2002 - 01:30 PM

In regards to Superbit titles, the only reason for me to repurchase them would be if I thought there was anything of value added to the set. In the case of this title, the SE already has everything the SBD will have plus the commentary. There is nothing new besides a slightly better picture. I'll pass.
Recently watched- Kingsman: The Secret Service, The Six Million Dollar Man: Season 4, Wolfen, The Six Million Dollar Man: Season 3, The Six Million Dollar Man: Season 2, Burn Notice: Season 2, Burn Notice: Season 1, The Six Million Dollar Man: Season 1, The Equalizer: Season 4, The Solid Gold Kidnapping, Wine,Women and War, The Six Million Dollar Man, Star Trek: Season 2, Zardoz, Royal Flash

Currently watching- Planet Earth, True Blood: Season 3, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, Tales From The Crypt: Season 2, WKRP In Cincinnati: Season 2, Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D.: Season 1, Game Of Thrones: Season 2, Heroes: Season 2, The Pacific, Burn Notice: Season 3, Battlestar Galactica: The Definitive Collection, The Six Million Dollar Man: Season 5

"Are we going to stand around here all day or are we going to fight?"

#12 of 37 OFFLINE   Terrell

Terrell

Producer

• 3,217 posts

Posted August 28 2002 - 07:04 PM

[quote] I got suckered into buy the last SE. The buck stops there for me. [quote]
Ditto. The Se has a phenomenal transfer and soundtrack. This film didn't need to be released again. Just another reason Columbia is regarded as ridiculous when it comes to re-releases. I gotta hand it to Columbia/Sony, whatever they are. The milk this SB mess to death.

#13 of 37 OFFLINE   Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter

• 1,551 posts

Posted August 29 2002 - 02:09 AM

I do have to say that some of these re-releases on Superbit is getting a little ridiculous. If I did own the SE I would not be buying it, but because I have no version right now, I will definately pick up the Superbit version. Might as well get a little better picture and sound quality. But other movies that I own the normal edition such as Vertical Limit, I won't be purchasing the Superbit edition. I have heard some say that the picture and sound quality on the Superbit title is definately something you will notice but I can't beleive that it can get much better than my standard edition. I know this word is thrown around alot, but the standard edition is reference quality. The picture is beautiful and the sound blows me away. So how much better can the SB be?
"I'm your Huckleberry"

#14 of 37 OFFLINE   Chauncey_G

Chauncey_G

Second Unit

• 293 posts

Posted August 29 2002 - 04:19 AM

I got the original release, but did not spring for the SE. I like this movie enough to go ahead and get the Superbit Deluxe since I didn't get the SE. This'll be my first Superbit DVD. I'll be interested to see if I can tell any difference.

#15 of 37 OFFLINE   Ken Bentley

Ken Bentley

Second Unit

• 290 posts

Posted August 29 2002 - 05:30 AM

i held of buying this dvd for the simple reason i figured they woudl make a superbit version of this. so i will get it when it comes out. but if i did own the se already i doubt i would upgrade. from the sounds of it it seems liek its the same as the se....

#16 of 37 OFFLINE   Terrell

Terrell

Producer

• 3,217 posts

Posted August 29 2002 - 09:51 AM

[quote] If I did own the SE I would not be buying it, but because I have no version right now, I will definately pick up the Superbit version. [quote]
I'm the same way! I'll buy a SB if I don't have that film on DVD. However, they can do those 2-disc DVDs every bit as good as SB DVDs if they wanted to. I'd argue that the Mask of Zorro SE is as good as some SB titles.

#17 of 37 OFFLINE   DanR

DanR

Supporting Actor

• 676 posts

Posted August 29 2002 - 10:10 AM

[quote] I'd argue that the Mask of Zorro SE is as good as some SB titles. [quote] Yeah, until you compare the SE to the original release and note that some of the fine detail from the previous transfer is not there.

The SuperBit version will simply trade the commentary whilst hopefully restoring the fine detail to the video. I'll take that, along with the ability to play the movie in DTS. Mask Of Zorro Superbit is SOLD. The original version and the SE will be unloaded on the local replay DVD store for $6 each (or at EB for a trade in 2 get one free offer).

Regards,
Dan

#18 of 37 OFFLINE   DeanWalsh

DeanWalsh

Second Unit

• 392 posts

Posted August 29 2002 - 11:28 AM

I have the SE and am more than happy with it... give me a Starship Troopers Superbit instead, I want a dts version!

#19 of 37 OFFLINE   Ed Vandeweerd

Ed Vandeweerd

Stunt Coordinator

• 206 posts

Posted August 29 2002 - 06:37 PM

Jeff,
I will pick up a Superbit Deluxe "Mask of Zorro" and turf the SE in protest for the studio's inclusion of a Full frame version in the SE. Good coaster material in my book!Posted Image
Ed Vandeweerd
Evan@shawlink.ca
my collection

#20 of 37 OFFLINE   Frederick_Falk

Frederick_Falk

Second Unit

• 288 posts

Posted August 30 2002 - 01:54 AM

I don't have this movie at all, YET! I will be in line to get the super bit deluxe version as soon as it comes out!
Confucius Says: You are in a maze of twistly little messages, all different.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users