Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Greatest Soundtrack Ever: Lord of the Rings voted Number One.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
126 replies to this topic

#1 of 127 Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Executive Producer

• 14,124 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted August 27 2002 - 11:36 PM

Here are 'The Greatest Soundtracks Ever' as voted by 52,000 Classic FM listeners.

1)Lord of the Rings - Howard Shore
2)Star Wars - John Williams
3)Schindler's List - John Williams
4)The Empire Strikes Back - John Williams
5)Gladiator - Hans Zimmer
6)ET - John Williams
7)Out of Africa - John Barry
8)Lawrence of Arabia - Maurice Jarre
9)Dances With Wolves - John Barry
10)Titanic - James Horner
11)Doctor Zhivago - Maurice Jarre
12)Raiders of the Lost Ark - John Williams
13)The Mission - Ennio Morricone
14)Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone - John Williams
15)The Magnificent Seven - Elmer Bernstein
16)Saving Private Ryan - John Williams
17)Jurassic Park - John Williams
18)Brief Encounter - Rachmaninov
19)2001 A Space Odyssey - Richard Strauss
20)Henry V (1945) - William Walton
21)Braveheart - James Horner
22)The Piano - Michael Nyman
23)Chariots of Fire - Vangelis
24)The Big Country - Jerome Moross
25)Superman The Movie - John Williams
26)Blade Runner - Vangelis
27)Gone With The Wind - Max Steiner
28)The Lion in Winter - John Barry
29)The English Patient - Gabriel Yared
30)The Mask of Zorro - James Horner

Many favorites here, John Williams easily has the most votes, a lot of great oldies missing, including Ben-Hur, The Ten Commandments and The Great Escape.
But the biggest miss must be John Williams superb 'Jaws' score which should have been in the top 10 IMO.

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

#2 of 127 Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,004 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted August 28 2002 - 12:11 AM

The list defineately skews towards the new. I wouldn't put FOTR at the top, and I would have dropped Harry Potter, but a pretty good list over all.

#3 of 127 Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,605 posts

Posted August 28 2002 - 12:17 AM

A good list, but FOTR is not near the best to me. While a great soundtrack, IMO, it doesn't compare to Star Wars, ESB, Titanic, Out of Africa, Chariots of Fire etc...

Talk about a thing of beauty: Give Out Of Africa a spin. John Barry composed this and it's beautiful.

#4 of 127 Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts
  • LocationWilmington, Delaware

Posted August 28 2002 - 12:25 AM

Good list, but how could they have left out James Horner's wonderful score for Field of Dreams!? Posted Image
"That's Jack Bauer!!!!!! He's coming for me!!!!!" - Charles Logan

#5 of 127 John_Berger

John_Berger

Screenwriter

• 2,489 posts

Posted August 28 2002 - 12:54 AM

It's nice to see so many from John Barry. He's highly underrated as far as I'm concerned.

I, too, would not put LOTR at the top. I find the "Star Wars", "Superman", and "Raiders of the Lost Ark" soundtracks to be much more memorable.

I was actually kind of surprised to see "Mask of Zorro" there. Great soundtrack, don't get me wrong, but compared with the others, it caught me off guard to see it on the list.

Personally, I think that "The Ten Commandments", "High Road to China", and "Star Trek: The Motion Picture" (believe it or not) should have been on that list, but that's just me. Posted Image

#6 of 127 Terrell

Terrell

Producer

• 3,217 posts

Posted August 28 2002 - 12:56 AM

I was justing talking about John Barry's High Road To China score just the other day. It's a beautiful piece score.

#7 of 127 John_Berger

John_Berger

Screenwriter

• 2,489 posts

Posted August 28 2002 - 01:18 AM

Quote:
I was justing talking about John Barry's High Road To China score just the other day. It's a beautiful piece score.
{OFF TOPIC}It would be even better to hear it digitally from a DVD, accompanied by the movie, of course! Posted Image {/OFF TOPIC}

#8 of 127 Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph

Lead Actor

• 8,338 posts

Posted August 28 2002 - 01:46 AM

There are a lot of good soundtracks on that list. I happen to like soundtracks that have great musical scores, and I also like ones with rapid transitions.... Regarding Lord Of The Rings, I especially like the scenes when Frodo puts on the ring and he can see the "spiritual world". The ambience coming out of all the speakers is great then when he takes the ring off, that is a nice rapid transition in the soundtrack. Reminds me of Saving Private Ryan in the beginning when they are getting off the lander and you see from the perspective of the main character as he is under the water in all that silence, then he surfaces and is totally bombarded with all of that noise.
Click on above image to enter " T H E . H O L O D E C K "
---------------------------------------------------------
The Holodeck. My DIY Screen. DIY Subwoofer: The MaxCaliber
My humble collection of DVD's. HTF Beginner's Primer and FAQ

#9 of 127 Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted August 28 2002 - 02:40 AM

I'm delighted that LOTR:FOTR is getting Howard Shore the awards and recognition he's long deserved. But to me the finest score he ever wrote (and in some ways my favorite film score) is Silence of the Lambs. You would never listen to it alone; it's so integrally woven into the film that it's like the performances or the cinematography -- it disappears into the whole. That's not the kind of achievement that wins Oscars or makes top 10 lists, but it's something few have accomplished so thoroughly.

M.
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#10 of 127 Todd Phillips

Todd Phillips

Second Unit

• 279 posts

Posted August 28 2002 - 02:49 AM

I personally would have put Goldfinger above some of the other John Barry soundtracks here.

Where did this list come from? (link?)
"Safe? Who knows what's safe? I know a man who dropped dead from lookin' at his wife. My own grandmother fought the indians for sixty years, then choked to death on lemon pie."

#11 of 127 Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer

Lead Actor

• 7,960 posts

Posted August 28 2002 - 02:50 AM

FOTR might be the best score in a while (based on pop culture acceptance), and I see Gladiator in there as well (previous holder of said title). But comparing it with long-lived favorites is a bit ridiculous...time will place it in context. I prefer FOTR to most other titles on the list, and I think it's INCLUSION is well-deserved, but perhaps not it's placing. As for Horner and missing scores, Glory is still my favorite of his, and it too is missing.

That said, FOTR has gotten the lion's share of my listening time, even in recent weeks. It IS the real dealPosted Image

Take care,
Chuck
Hey buddy...did you just see a real bright light?

#12 of 127 John Gates

John Gates

Second Unit

• 372 posts

Posted August 28 2002 - 03:00 AM

My favorite movie soundtracks are:

1) O Brother, Where Art Thou?
2) Star Wars (excellent, classic!)
3) Prince of Egypt
http://www.free-resume-help.com
Free resume help, interview tips, and negotiating advice from corporate recruiting insiders.

#13 of 127 Matt Pelham

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter

• 1,711 posts

Posted August 28 2002 - 03:08 AM

Any list that doesn't include The Last of the Mohicans doesn't have any credibility in my book. Quite simply, one of the most beautiful and amazing scores ever written.

#14 of 127 paul_v

paul_v

Second Unit

• 320 posts

Posted August 28 2002 - 03:19 AM

Last of the Mohicans is good although it's repetitive.

LOTR is a wonderful score but I agree that it's number one because it is newer. Star Wars or Empire Strikes Back should be number 1 IMO. I think Zimmers "A Thin Red Line" socre should be on this list as well.
Paul V

#15 of 127 Michael Taylor

Michael Taylor

Stunt Coordinator

• 92 posts

Posted August 28 2002 - 03:40 AM

I enjoy the LOTR:FOTR score, but it is nowhere near my favorite. I wish at least one of the following would have appeared somewhere in that list:

1.) Total Recall (Jerry Goldsmith)
2.) Conan the Barbarian (Basil Poledouris)
3.) The Omen (Jerry Goldsmith)
"Your sad devotion to Nielsen Families hasn't given you clairvoyance enough to leave out the Greedo Blaster sequence..." - Tie-Tanic

#16 of 127 Eric F

Eric F

Screenwriter

• 1,810 posts

Posted August 28 2002 - 04:00 AM

I'm sorry, but Curtis Mayfield's "Superfly" isn't even on there, so that invalidates the whole list.Posted Image

#17 of 127 Chad R

Chad R

Screenwriter

• 2,174 posts

Posted August 28 2002 - 04:15 AM

Would you call '2001' a score? The film wasn't scored, but pre-existing music added. It's terrifically incorporated, but not what I would call a score.

The list skews far to much to the recent work leaving off mounds of superb work by Tiomkin, Steiner (he has lovelier scores than GWTW), Herrmann and others.

#18 of 127 Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Executive Producer

• 14,124 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted August 28 2002 - 04:16 AM

Yep good list, I got it from one of our daily newspapers, I loved the Lord of the Rings score but I wouldn't place it as greatest film score ever.

I don't have one absolute favorite soundtrack, I would give equal top positions to about 20 of my favorites, including Howard Shore's magnum opus.

Sad to see Jerry Goldsmith not represented, he has composed many great scores.

Also I would think Basil Poledouris incredible music for Conan The Barbarian should have been in that list, in the top 10.

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

#19 of 127 Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted August 28 2002 - 04:26 AM

Well one thing we know about the 52,000 listeners: subtlety is not their byword. Posted Image

Its hard to take a list that has nine scores by John Williams and none (for example) by Bernard Herrmann very seriously.

Further Richard Strauss did not write the soundtrack for 2001. Portions of Also sprach Zarathustra, which he composed, were used, as were the works of several other composers, among them Johann Strauss, who composed The Blue Danube, portions of which were also used in the film. Pleased as I am to see Richard and Sergi, as long as composers of non-original music were included, I am surprised that Wolfgang was not on the list. Or would that be because the original music for Amadeus is credited to John Strauss? Posted Image

Understanding that best lists generate discussion, and there are some good soundtracks on the list, this list proves that 50,000 listeners can indeed be wrong.
¡Time is not my master!

#20 of 127 Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese

Screenwriter

• 2,574 posts

Posted August 28 2002 - 04:36 AM

Wait a minute - no Herrmann, no Goldsmith, no Rozsa, no Alfred Newman? And three scores by the James ("anvil-clanker") Horner? Did a bunch of tin-eared 14-year-olds make up this list? Posted Image
"What we're fighting for, in the end...we're fighting for each other." - Col. Joshua Chamberlain in "Gettysburg"