Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Microsoft to Micro-Manage your computer

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
24 replies to this topic

#1 of 25 Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter

• 1,302 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted August 27 2002 - 03:06 PM

I didnt want this to get lost in the Copy Protection Act thread since it is similar.

I hope you find the info helpful, if not amusing Posted Image

http://www.theregist...nt/4/25843.html
"Charlie don't surf."

#2 of 25 JasenP

JasenP

Screenwriter

• 1,286 posts

Posted August 27 2002 - 11:14 PM

I will continue to build my own PC, thanks anyway Microsoft.

Hmmm now where did I put my "Linux for Dummies" book?

You know, Fred, if you keep your sense of humor like you do, you just might make it.

The Archive

#3 of 25 Greg Rowe

Greg Rowe

Stunt Coordinator

• 160 posts

Posted August 27 2002 - 11:51 PM

Thank goodness for Mac OS X, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, many different Linux distributions (Debian is my favorite). And there's even plan9 (from Bell labs). ...And those are just the more well known ones.

I haven't boot Windows on my home machine for about 2 years, and as soon as I have the time I will be reclaiming wasted hard drive space!

#4 of 25 Dave Gorman

Dave Gorman

Supporting Actor

• 537 posts

Posted August 28 2002 - 12:05 AM

Posted Image What? Was this article written by Red Hat's CEO or something?? I'm far from the world's strongest MS supporter, but what an imbalanced tabloid editorial this is! Posted Image Posted Image
...And then there's the guy who saw the sign that said "Wet Floor", so he did.

#5 of 25 Chris Beveridge

Chris Beveridge

Second Unit

• 349 posts

Posted August 28 2002 - 12:27 AM

The Register frequently gets things wrong, and doesn't do full research on their articles. They did one on my site before and it was about 90% inaccurate - they didn't even bother to contact me to verify any of the information.

#6 of 25 Dave Ringkor

Dave Ringkor

Stunt Coordinator

• 172 posts

Posted August 28 2002 - 03:12 AM

Linux is my friend. The only time I ever booted into Windows was to run ProntoEdit for my Philips Pronto, but now thanks to Stewart Allen, there is a free Pronto editing tool called Tonto available for lots of different OSes including Linux. (The tool is available at http://giantlaser.com/tonto/.)

#7 of 25 Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter

• 1,877 posts

Posted August 28 2002 - 06:41 AM

Those who don't understand Digital Rights Management (DRM) should head on over to slashdot.org and lookup some of the articles they've posted.

DRM will (supposedly) make it impossible for you to copy basically anything. Want to rip a CD into MP3 format, or move some MP3s from one computer to another? Too bad. DRM won't let you.

"But", you say, "I bought this CD. It's mine. I want to put the MP3s on my portable MP3 player to listen to while jogging." Too bad! DRM says "Nope."

#8 of 25 Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter

• 1,302 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted August 28 2002 - 05:02 PM

Why wouldnt DRM work on Mac's?

Isnt this just going to spread to Mac's as well??
"Charlie don't surf."

#9 of 25 Joseph S

Joseph S

Screenwriter

• 2,865 posts

Posted August 28 2002 - 06:55 PM

Quote:
Why wouldnt DRM work on Mac's?

Apple would need to go along with it.

Quote:
Isnt this just going to spread to Mac's as well??

Sure, hope not.

"Rip, Mix, Burn"
(or just drag the track directly to iTunes for transport to your 20GB iPod)
Posted Image

#10 of 25 Todd H

Todd H

Screenwriter

• 2,038 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted August 29 2002 - 01:11 AM

I made the switch to Linux a few months ago after reading the EULA for a WMP security patch. The EULA pretty much stated if I installed the patch that Microsoft would have root access to my PC and could install whatever they felt like installing. That was the last straw. I wiped my drive and installed Mandrake 8.2. Haven't looked back since.

#11 of 25 Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair

Producer

• 6,009 posts

Posted August 29 2002 - 02:06 AM

I've used Linux and Macs for years, but I still primarily use Windows due to (mostly non-mainstream) software that I use that simply is not available for other platforms yet.

However, I will NEVER install an OS that has DRM. I will never run it, I will never use it.

#12 of 25 Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR

Producer

• 3,596 posts

Posted August 29 2002 - 02:51 AM

Quote:
I will continue to build my own PC, thanks anyway Microsoft
Ditto! Plus I will continue to use W2K, so as to keep Micro$oft from telling when & where I'm allowed to use my OS.
Cogito, Ergo Sum
My DVD Library / The BLOOD is the Life!
Pioneer Elite PRO PDP-111FD - 2/28/2009

#13 of 25 Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter

• 1,877 posts

Posted August 29 2002 - 05:21 AM

Quote:
Ditto! Plus I will continue to use W2K, so as to keep Micro$oft from telling when & where I'm allowed to use my OS.
Jeff - you & me both. Win2k is the last version I will ever use. Linux runs my servers, and when Win2k becomes too old and obsolete to use anymore, I'm going to have to get used to Linux on my workstation, too.

#14 of 25 Julian Reville

Julian Reville

Screenwriter

• 1,197 posts

Posted August 29 2002 - 06:44 AM

Quote:
Win2k is the last version I will ever use

You guys are 2 years ahead of me; I've got WIN98 on 4 computers, and I'm perfectly happy. I have no intentions of changing the OS to "new & improved". (I even have 1 stand alone computer at work that runs on DOS 6.2) :b

#15 of 25 Ken Chan

Ken Chan

Producer

• 3,302 posts

Posted August 29 2002 - 07:12 AM

Quote:
"Rip, Mix, Burn"

Apple also has "Do not steal music" in small type at the end of those ads.

//Ken

#16 of 25 John_Berger

John_Berger

Screenwriter

• 2,489 posts

Posted August 29 2002 - 07:58 AM

Quote:
it's Microsoft's answer to fixing everything that's wrong with computing today.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Considering that Microsoft IS what is wrong with computing today, that's quite a statement!

#17 of 25 John_Berger

John_Berger

Screenwriter

• 2,489 posts

Posted August 29 2002 - 08:01 AM

Quote:
(I even have 1 stand alone computer at work that runs on DOS 6.2) :b
Hey, don't blush. DOS is still a 100% viable operating system. I have an older machine with it, too, because there are some older games that can still stand against newer games. Unfortunately, I need a TRUE DOS environment to run them, and I need a CPU slowdown utility. Runnig such tools under a system like Windows is asking for trouble, so what better way to play that in its native environment!

And no matter what anyone says about functionality, there is no reason why Win XP with Office is any more or less usable than MS Office 4.3 under Windows 3.1. Except for the Y2K incompatibility, it freakin' SCREAMS even on a 266 MHz machine!

#18 of 25 Dennis Reno

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor

• 865 posts

Posted August 29 2002 - 08:04 AM

Quote:
I've got WIN98... and I'm perfectly happy
Count me in as well. Sure, W2K and XP are reportedly more stable, but my PCs rarely lock up. I will soon be in the market for a new computer and I'm giving *shudder* Macs a serious look.

#19 of 25 Joseph S

Joseph S

Screenwriter

• 2,865 posts

Posted August 29 2002 - 08:11 AM

Quote:
Apple also has "Do not steal music" in small type at the end of those ads.

Who said anything about stealing music? Jaguar lets you drag the AIFF files right off the disc and the iPod and iTunes can play them without an issue or convert to mp3 if you want. If I own it I can do what I want with the track for my personal fair use with OS X.

I was referring to Apple's sentiment in contrast to this quote
Quote:
"But", you say, "I bought this CD. It's mine. I want to put the MP3s on my portable MP3 player to listen to while jogging." Too bad! DRM says "Nope."

#20 of 25 Ken Chan

Ken Chan

Producer

• 3,302 posts

Posted August 29 2002 - 09:31 AM

Isn't DRM about (the fear of) stealing music? Are you denying that some perhaps small but certainly not insignificant number of people do in fact steal music? Some of them might even use Apples.

My point is that instead of some draconian DRM, Apple has a simple, subtle (maybe too subtle) reminder. I have no idea whether it has any effect, but someone is thinking about it.

//Ken

Back to Archived Threads 2001-2004

Forum Nav Content I Follow