• Please log in to reply
29336 replies to this topic

#28621 of 29337 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,413 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted April 12 2014 - 06:25 PM

The Blu of The Agony and the Ecstasy is sensational...beautiful...a revelation--especially the tourism-like sequence of Italy at the beginning of the film.  My jaw dropped.

Zen:  So glad you are improving!  Sensing one's mortality is somethiin', ain't it?

Dennis:  Oh.  I've got some kind of weird heartbeat thing, too.  Something about an occasional electric beat that doesn't fire perfectly right.  But, I went to a cardiologist (for the first time in my life) a year ago.  He had me do a stress test...determined that it wasn't serious...and cleared me to run a 5k a couple days later (my first ever!).  And then I had my recent troubles...eliminating any 5k runs for me this summer...  :(

Good luck with your doctor appointment, Dennis!  :thumbsup:

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#28622 of 29337 OFFLINE   Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls

Lead Actor

• 7,771 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted April 12 2014 - 07:19 PM

Steve,

I have both in my basket at Amazon. Please tell us if The Agony and the Ecstasy is as good indeed. I already have both on DVD and I'm looking for an excuse to buy BD versions. ;)

Cees

Would you bargain with your blueray? 

I think it looks pretty good too, although I'm presently living in the archaic 720P projector world.  All my spare change goes into car parts at present.

Feline videophiles Condoleezza and Dukie.

#28623 of 29337 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Long Member

• 14,347 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted April 13 2014 - 05:18 AM

Another excellent restoration, The Agony and the Ecstasy looks fantastic on Blu-ray. Film grain is invisible I'm glad to say, as some of you may remember I'm not a fan of film grain and find it very distracting. The less grain the better. I've only managed to watch my Blu-ray of the 1933 King Kong once so far, there was so much grain and picture noise it looked like it was filmed in a blizzard, the copy I taped off the BBC 30 years ago was more watchable :o

poster 6.jpg

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

#28624 of 29337 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Long Member

• 14,347 posts

Posted April 15 2014 - 08:03 AM

star wars 282.jpg

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

#28625 of 29337 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,639 posts

Posted April 15 2014 - 12:55 PM

Dirty guy. It's his sister, fGs. (Oops, spoiler.)

Cees

#28626 of 29337 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Long Member

• 14,347 posts

Posted April 16 2014 - 07:10 AM

And it's not just Han and her brother, Chewie also has the hots for Leia. Fun times. :3dglasses:

star wars 223.jpg

"Molested by a walking carpet!"

Lord of the Hubs

#28627 of 29337 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Long Member

• 14,347 posts

Posted April 18 2014 - 12:06 PM

Oldman and Portman.jpg

Lord of the Hubs

#28628 of 29337 OFFLINE   Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S

Producer

• 4,442 posts

Posted April 24 2014 - 11:52 AM

Finally finished cleaning out my previous residence and now am only in the new one.  SOOOOOO, I finally got to go to a movie after about 6 weeks (which is unheard of for me). 

I saw Captain America: The Winter Soldier.  Thought it was pretty good, and again, I find Chris Evans just right for the role.  Even Scarlett wasn't that annoying.  I was pondering seeing her Under the Skin, though some people's comparisons to Lynch were making me unsure.  In any case, it disappeared after playing a week so I'll probably see it on Blu down the line.

I'm very excited that my blu-ray of Friedkin's Sorcerer is enroute to me.  That's one of the movies I've wanted to see again in proper ratio for decades.  I remember certain parts of that film quite well from the initial theatrical viewing.  Of course, I will have to hook up my speakers and blu-ray player first.  I am still living amidst boxes and boxes of unpacked stuff.  Perhaps this holiday season, I will upgrade my TV since I have a little more room now.  All my Blus are still packed and hopefully not getting crushed.

#28629 of 29337 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Long Member

• 14,347 posts

Posted April 30 2014 - 08:20 AM

Watched Sorcerer in HD a week ago, very nicely restored though they seemed to have upped the colour a tad, blood looked too fake. Stereo sound very good. An expensive film which tanked at the box office and William Friedkin's career never recovered.

Not my favourite Friedkin film but definitely worth a look.

bob-hoskins-story-top.jpg

Bob Hoskins 1942-2014

RIP

Lord of the Hubs

#28630 of 29337 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 9,895 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted April 30 2014 - 08:37 AM

sad bout Bob Hoskins, always a joy to watch.

I watched 99 and 44/100% Dead last night on standard DVD. Didn't care for it.

#28631 of 29337 OFFLINE   Zen Butler

Zen Butler

Producer

• 5,329 posts

Posted May 01 2014 - 10:57 PM

Dennis, I have a cholesterol of 120 and eat like a champ. It was just a weird thing where a piece plaque broke away and got caught in the valves of my heart. It was so bad I was packed in ice for a few days. I don't remember anything. I am just comprising information from all friends and family.

bladerunner-thumb-510x227-39115_zpse210a

#28632 of 29337 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,413 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted May 02 2014 - 11:16 AM

I don't remember anything. I am just comprising information from all friends and family.

Zen: 

An important thing to realize is that every hospital patient needs to have an advocate (spouse, significant other) at their side at nearly all times.  There are so many crucial decisions to be made and so many important conversations held...

During my recent hospital stay, I was on a respirator for more than a week and knocked out on some pretty powerful drugs.  By the time I finally went home (thank God I did!), I had virtually no idea what happened to me in terms of getting sick nor in terms of getting well.  My wife, though, kept daily notes which have proven invaluable in helping us figure things out and being able to answer doctor's questions throughout all the various follow-up visits. 

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#28633 of 29337 OFFLINE   Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls

Lead Actor

• 7,771 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted May 04 2014 - 08:00 AM

That's what scares me about getting old while single, and having no close relatives.

I finally can retire my last VHS tape:  the James Whale Showboat.  This was released in February on Warner Archive DVD but flew under my radar at the time.  I ordered it up from Warner this morning.  It appears that Archive titles don't show up on Amazon.

Feline videophiles Condoleezza and Dukie.

#28634 of 29337 OFFLINE   Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S

Producer

• 4,442 posts

Posted May 05 2014 - 04:07 PM

Watched Sorcerer in HD a week ago, very nicely restored though they seemed to have upped the colour a tad, blood looked too fake. Stereo sound very good. An expensive film which tanked at the box office and William Friedkin's career never recovered.

Not my favourite Friedkin film but definitely worth a look.

Friedkin has said this is the film he wants to be remembered for, and I'm glad he was able to bring about a blu-ray release.  I finally hooked up my speakers this weekend, so one step closer to watching a movie.  I received my "Sorcerer" blu this weekend.

Saw "The Lunchbox" last weekend.  Pretty good movie, though I expected a little more food visuals.

Sad to hear about Bob Hoskins.  My favorite performance of his is in "The Long Good Friday".

Jack is Back.

#28635 of 29337 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Long Member

• 14,347 posts

Posted May 06 2014 - 05:45 AM

"Two luminous disc-like eyes appeared above the rim. A huge, rounded bulk, larger than a bear, rose up slowly, glistening like wet leather. Its lipless mouth quivered and slavered and snake-like tentacles writhed as the clumsy body heaved and pulsated."

Lord of the Hubs

#28636 of 29337 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 9,895 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted May 06 2014 - 06:36 AM

"Two luminous disc-like eyes appeared above the rim. A huge, rounded bulk, larger than a bear, rose up slowly, glistening like wet leather. Its lipless mouth quivered and slavered and snake-like tentacles writhed as the clumsy body heaved and pulsated."

Sorry, were you calling me?

#28637 of 29337 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Long Member

• 14,347 posts

Posted May 06 2014 - 06:54 AM

Haha!  Hello Russ back in the ooold days someone would have replied to my post with a simple "Ulla!" but those days are long gone... sniff.

I was listening to Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds earlier and had a sudden urge to post those words in testy. Richard Burton's voice... fantastic.

Godzilla coming up fast, hopefully an improvement over the 1998 version. I hope we do get a good view of the monster and they don't go all 'cloverfield' on us.

godzilla_ver4_xlg.jpg

Hmmm the Big G does look a bit too big in that poster, I don't think there'll be any sprinting between buildings in this one.

Lord of the Hubs

#28638 of 29337 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 9,895 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted May 06 2014 - 07:09 AM

I don't know Steve, I saw some blurb from Bryan Cranston and he was talking all proud about how the film builds suspense and stuff. So I'm guessing it's a slow reveal with all the wham bam at the end.

#28639 of 29337 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Long Member

• 14,347 posts

Posted May 06 2014 - 07:15 AM

I suppose that makes sense, the slow reveal, as long as we get a good look at it in the last half hour.

They're releasing a bunch of Toho Godzilla's on blu-ray, very tempting.

Lord of the Hubs

#28640 of 29337 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 9,895 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted May 06 2014 - 07:22 AM

Yeah, I'd love a complete Toho Godzilla set on blu. the Criterion looks great. It seems like it's licensed out all over the place though, so I doubt it will happen.

The slow burn on the Godzilla picture has left me cold. I don't need time to learn about characters when things could be going smashy smashy. then again, maybe it wont be like that. Entertainment Tonight interviews aren't the most reliable/in depth things in the world.

I haven't been to the cinema ALL YEAR! No Cap America, no SpidersMAn, no whatever other movie looked cool. :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users