Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * * - 5 votes

Testy Area 51

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
29632 replies to this topic

#28561 of 29633 OFFLINE   Zen Butler

Zen Butler

Producer

• 5,336 posts

Posted March 03 2014 - 12:39 PM

If you are going to pace yourself Dennis, you could have picked a worse project car. That thing can be "pig" though on the pocket book. With two youngin's though, I made sure our Odyssey Touring had a drop down DVD. I am officially out of the "car guy" loop. Although, my job as an analyst keeps me in the game, I don't turn a wrench unless I am putting together a new spice rack for the wife. Dennis, it has inspired me to compare your two rides there.

#28562 of 29633 OFFLINE   Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls

Lead Actor

• 7,868 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted March 03 2014 - 05:52 PM

Zen,

I'll pace myself. 

Previously replaced items:

New windshield in 2012.  While it sat on the dealer's lot, they changed the rear window, battery, oil, flushed brake fluid and coolant.

So far for me:

Changed oil and air filter.  Cut apart oil filter and inspected for metal...only one small non-ferrous flake.

Cleaned belt buckles with electronic contact cleaner.  Retired airbag light with Durametric software tool.

Next up:

New Bosch plugs and Continental serp. belt on hand, ready for install on a non-rainy day.

Four major coolant hoses on order, will install if serp. belt change indicates no water pump issues.

The model year 2000 was a specific choice on my part:  none of the engine casting problems of the 2.5l and it "should" have the dual-row IMS bearing.  The last unfortunately can only be fully verified by physical inspection of the IMS cover plate.....

This summer:

Pull tranny, clutch, and flywheel.  If dual-row IMS bearing, I may say screw it and install new RMS and clutch.  If single-row IMS bearing, then order up $900 LN IMS bearing and tool kit.  Until that time I plan to change and inspect the oil filter every 500 to 600 miles or so.....Mahle filters are $8 at RockAuto.

Future items:

Change steering wheel.  Original owner got option X30 wood-trim wheel whose veneer has cracked and is starting to peel off.  Gray leather 4 spoke wheels go for about $300 on eBay.

Change front tires.  Potenza RE760 has lots of tread but date code says 6 years old.  Backs are dated from end of 2011 so they are OK.

Change MT lube.

Feline videophiles Condoleezza and Dukie.

#28563 of 29633 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,149 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted March 03 2014 - 06:22 PM

It's a beautiful car Dennis, I had something similar with the collapse in Saab values after GM's murder spree. My 08 had 34k miles on it when I bought it and I got what was a $45k car for $15 at 5 years old. I just did a check and it's worth $13.5 private party with another 10k miles on it now.

The only reason I went for it is that the parts are readily available again after an 18 month drought due to the bankruptcy. It's so much fun to drive and I haven't had to do anything major to it yet, but I do have tires and brakes coming soon, and maybe a new top in a year or so. The elastic has gone bad on the current one which causes the headliner to rub on the latch when the top closes, which has caused it to, well not leak but the headliner gets a bit damp when there's LOTS of rain, but being in LA that's not really a problem.

I wouldn't trade the years with the Prius but it's great to have a turbo again :)
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#28564 of 29633 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,149 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted March 03 2014 - 06:31 PM

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Figured out pics.

This is my 4th Saab, my first was an '88 900 Turbo Convertible that I got when I was 18 and it was 10 years old and pretty much a beater. I've seen a couple similar over the years. This is what it looked like when I got it, more or less.

image.jpg

And until a few weeks ago, I'd never seen another one with the tan top put on it. I'd planned to repaint it British Racing Green

image.jpg
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#28565 of 29633 OFFLINE   Zen Butler

Zen Butler

Producer

• 5,336 posts

Posted March 04 2014 - 05:48 AM

Dennis the RE760s are what we run as a replacement for our IS250 and 350. A very good tire for the $

#28566 of 29633 OFFLINE   Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls

Lead Actor

• 7,868 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted March 04 2014 - 07:52 PM

To make this story more "old movie" friendly.....

He'd have to get under, get  out and get under
to fix his little machine,
He was just dying to cuddle his queen,
But ev'ry minute, when he'd begin it,
He'd have to get under, get  out and get under,
then he'd get back at the wheel
A dozen times they'd start to hug and kiss
and then the darned old engine it would miss
and then he'd have to get under, get  out and get under,
and fix up his automobile.

#28567 of 29633 OFFLINE   Zen Butler

Zen Butler

Producer

• 5,336 posts

Posted March 04 2014 - 09:20 PM

Dennis, someday I would love to have a "weekend warrior" to tinker with. My garage though is my music studio/train room for the kids. No room, no time and all I do all day is assist "Parts Professionals." I am paid a decent wage to make the guys you speak with at dealerships sound like they know what they are talking about.

#28568 of 29633 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,165 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted March 05 2014 - 06:34 AM

Don't know why the song is cut off.  Sorry.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#28569 of 29633 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 10,022 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted March 10 2014 - 12:17 PM

Cars eh? speaking of cars, vinegar syndrome are giving away more sleazy movies. :)

http://vinegarsyndro...h/?page_id=3335

#28570 of 29633 OFFLINE   Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls

Lead Actor

• 7,868 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted March 15 2014 - 11:26 PM

Hmm....

This has been a bad tumbleweed season for us.  Amazingly enough the Wall Street Journal posted a feature article about the troubles with tumbleweeds in the West.

http://online.wsj.co...1742108252.html

In music and movies, the solitary tumbleweed is a romantic motif of the Old West, symbolizing the free spirit of the prairie in classic cowboy songs such as "Tumbling Tumbleweeds."

In reality, "those Westerns don't do 'em justice," says Mr. Ransom, a former bank security guard. "I don't want to experience anything like that again. It was a little scary."

But the plants that are synonymous with the Wild West are actually interlopers. The two most common species, kochia and Russian thistle, are from Eurasia. And this winter, thanks to the Western drought, tumbleweeds are anything but lonesome.

#28571 of 29633 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Long Member

• 14,433 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted March 16 2014 - 07:49 AM

mr-mrs-smith-stills-16.jpg

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

#28572 of 29633 OFFLINE   Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls

Lead Actor

• 7,868 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted March 16 2014 - 08:08 AM

Does she tumble through the West? 

Some entrepreneur will have to make a GMO version of tumbleweed crossed with hemp.  A self-delivering MJ plant! :o

#28573 of 29633 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Long Member

• 14,433 posts

Posted March 16 2014 - 09:30 AM

Back in the old days I would post an animated gif of a rolling tumbleweed whenever things got too quiet, aah I was more inventive back then, and crazier. :blink:

A Yank in Viet-Nam (Allied Artists, 1964).jpg

• Russell G likes this

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

#28574 of 29633 OFFLINE   Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted March 24 2014 - 07:59 PM

Zen lives! Very cool, how are ya dude?

Well, yet again, it's been a bit since my pop-in visit. Lot's going on, yet again...

Got married on 3/11 to this amazing woman after nearly 3 years of being together. We tied the knot at the Stone World Bistro and Garden's, where all of Stone's amazing ales are brewed and bottled. We talked about it a couple years ago, her idea...btw, yeah, she's a keeper! We dressed in total Cowboy getup for the occasion. A pic...

Umm, let's see, my daughter got her first, and a brand new car on Saturday the 22nd. A Silver Toyota Camry. My parents decided to take us out "looking" and bought her the car, she is beside herself, as am I. One hell-of-a lucky girl.

Tore down the tool shed, saved most all the wood and am nearing completion of a fort for the kids. Roughly about 8'x5'x6' high and sits up off the ground about 10'. I just ran lighting and power to it so I can set it up with a TV and a Wi-Fi Blu-ray player.

Haven't had much movie time as of late. I did watch Gravity, other than the effects it was ho-hum. Story? I'm sorry we forgot one. Acting, oh, it was average at best. The effects were beyond amazing tho, good thing it was only 1.3 hours long. I did watch Dallas Buyers Club. Good but nothing I ever need to see again. Wife wanted to see it, I didn't, not my kinda film.

Any-hoo, that's all I've got for now. Not going with a new theater, I like the old one too much, it's nice having it in the garage and not attached to the house. I still plan on the room addition but probably won't start that project this year. 

Attached Images

• 02.jpg
  • 03.jpg
  • 01.jpg
  • 04.jpg

You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

#28575 of 29633 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,165 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted March 24 2014 - 08:05 PM

Yay!

The garage theater lives to fight another day!

:rock:

Oh.  And congratulations, Ron!  Many, many happy returns! 

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

#28576 of 29633 OFFLINE   Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted March 24 2014 - 08:26 PM

Thanks Mike, and yep, it still lives and will for a long time. No desire to destroy her, been over 10 years now and it's just too nice to take down. 

#28577 of 29633 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,165 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted March 24 2014 - 08:40 PM

You've been here a long time, Ron.  Don't know if you saw this thread...

#28578 of 29633 OFFLINE   Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted March 25 2014 - 07:18 PM

I did not. I don't venture out much here anymore due to the size of this forum. I don't have the words, but what I do have is the means to help, I remember Jack, and I will. So very sad, I read it all late last night and am beyond sad to read his life story. Thank you Mike for the heads up, without your post I most likely would have never seen that.

#28579 of 29633 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,165 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted March 25 2014 - 07:21 PM

Glad to do it.

Us old-timers gotta stick together. 

#28580 of 29633 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Long Member

• 14,433 posts

Posted March 26 2014 - 04:03 AM

Jack Briggs was the first person I connected with here when I first joined the HTF 14 years ago. I'm so sad this happened to him. We were both 'cat people' loved 2001 A Space Odyssey and our significant others (at the time) were named Sandra. Our biggest disagreement was over the merits of Zardoz, his 2nd or 3rd favorite film.

Anyone here have Diabetes? My doctor dropped the bombshell when I visited her on monday after having a blood test last month, type 2 diabetes. She looked more worried than I was, not knowing much about the disease my reaction was more bemusement than concern. Dieting and exercise are my priorities she told me, and no more chocolates or burgers. Damn! I'm not going to live on rice cakes! I bought the cheapest exercise machine I could find, a 'stepper' with what looks like two bungee ropes attached to it. I've also ordered a blood glucose monitor from Amazon, not expensive, and I can keep a check on my blood sugar levels by sticking needles into my fingers. Lovely.

Clip.jpg

Oh and Congrats Ron! :)

Lord of the Hubs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users