Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * * - 5 votes

Testy Area 51

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
29662 replies to this topic

#28441 of 29663 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Long Member

• 14,442 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted November 19 2013 - 02:22 PM

Just watched the first two episodes of Agents of Shield, was not impressed. I hope it gets better. It reminded me of Mutant X, anyone remember that series?

Bought Wolverine, watched the 2D extended version. I liked it, particularly the Japanese setting but I expected more from this. To be frank I enjoyed the previous Wolverine movie more.

mama's dirty girls.jpg

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

#28442 of 29663 OFFLINE   Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,790 posts

Posted November 19 2013 - 06:40 PM

It reminded me of Mutant X, anyone remember that series?

Sure, especially Victoria Pratt.  I don't think Agents is a great series, at least yet, but it is kind of growing on me.   I've watched the first seven episodes and the last few have done a nice job of developing the characters Fitz and Simmons (who might be my favorite character so far.)

- Walter.

Fidelity to the source should always be the goal for Blu-ray releases.

#28443 of 29663 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 10,036 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted November 20 2013 - 09:39 AM

Where can I order Mama's Dirty Girls Steve?

The weather totally tanked around here so I haven't been out to see Thor 2 yet. Annoying! I've been hunkered in instead. Watches the extended version of The Hobbit, and liked it much more than the theater viewing. I think because it actually looks like film on bluray instead of a Scy Fy TV movie that's distracting. There's still too many songs though. 

As far as TV, I've tucked into the Star Trek original series blurays. Watching them remastered, I'm surprised how subtle a job they did, and how much the original version didn't really need the effects boost. The writing is solid enough you forgive the odd wonky effect. 

#28444 of 29663 OFFLINE   Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S

Producer

• 4,468 posts

Posted November 20 2013 - 11:07 AM

Last weekend, I considered going to 12 Years a Slave or Thor 2, but neither motivated me enough because I was tired.

However, Dallas Buyers Club opens this weekend and I definitely plan to see that one.  It looks fantastic!!

There was a price error on "Twilight Zone: The Complete Series" on blu-ray the other week so I was able to snag that.  Looking forward to some good deals this holiday season.

#28445 of 29663 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,186 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted November 24 2013 - 01:42 PM

I don't think Gloria Grahame is one of the three women pictured on the poster of Mama's Dirty Girls...

I wonder why not?!?

!ByCfsw!!Wk~$(KGrHqUOKkMEwRdYjWBIBMQE,GC  mAlOWsk8-76jaL_Rd8ohQPA.jpg

Mama_s_Dirty_Girls-605650168-large.jpg

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#28446 of 29663 OFFLINE   Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S

Producer

• 4,468 posts

Posted November 25 2013 - 11:16 AM

I saw Dallas Buyers Club this weekend.  Matthew McConnaughey and Jared Leto were excellent!  While I thought the movie was good, I was expecting even better.  I can't quite explain, but I think I felt more emotionally detached than I should have.  I hope both actors get some awards.  It was a worthwhile role for Jared to come out of his acting hiatus.

#28447 of 29663 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 10,036 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted November 25 2013 - 02:25 PM

I made it out to the movies this weekend!

First up was Thor 2, which ends up actually being called Thor : The Dark World. It's a little early to tell, but I think the Thor series might be the best of the Marvel movies. The humour is more genuine instead of forced (Like in the dreadful Iron Man 3), and there is just a lot going on with the characters (as opposed to Iron Man 3 which had too many Iron Man's for anyone to really give a shit). So I chalk this one up in the WIN column and look forward to more Thor! They had a preview for Captain America : The Winter Soldier. or Captain America 2 as I like to call it, and it appears to have a chance at being a winner as well. Huzzah for marvel superhero movies that aren't stupid boring like Iron Man 3! Oh, and I'm in love with who ever played Natalie Portmans sister. 3.5/5

Second was Bad Grandpa. Look, if you don't like Jackass you wont like this one. I love Jackass, and I liked this one. Not as consistently funny/entertaining as the other Jackass films, it still had some dead-hilarious laughs and I'll be buying it to force my friends to watch it. I think the main reason I didn't love it more was due to trailer spoilage, a plague that continues to thwart us film fans to this very day!  3/5

Still watching Star Trek with Dad since he's laid up with a broken arm/cancer. Mum watches the odd one, and she informed us early that she didn't like the show because William Shatner was a creep. So last night we're watching and:

Mum: Who's that guy on there?

Me: Which one?

Mum: The good looking guy in the chair.

Me: Captain Kirk?

Mum: Yeah him, what's his name?

Me: William Shatner

Mum: REALLY?

Me: Yeah, the guy you hate.

Mum: He's pretty good, but the show still makes no sense.

My mum is ridiculous.

#28448 of 29663 ONLINE   Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls

Lead Actor

• 7,873 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted December 03 2013 - 02:46 PM

I've been doing some hardware maintenance on my HT gear.  My SACD drive is a good one - a Philips  963SA - but it's been skipping and popping on a handful of discs lately.  Then I looked up the sales receipt and discovered I'd bought it in 2003. 

So  I bought one of those $10 Memorex "lens cleaning discs" at WalMart.  I always thought they were snake oil, but after one pass the skipping on the trial "bad" disc went away.  A couple of more passes and the popping almost disappeared. 

There's virtually no mention of these cleaning discs here at HTF but it seemed a good $10 fix.  Modern Sony Blu-Ray players all "play" SACD but only have 2 channel analog outs as opposed to the 6 analog outs of the Philips.  I'd have to spring for an OPPO to replace the Philips and my budget doesn't permit that now.

Feline videophiles Condoleezza and Dukie.

#28449 of 29663 ONLINE   Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls

Lead Actor

• 7,873 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted December 04 2013 - 04:54 AM

i_survived_obamacare_t_shirt-r852d7798a8

Well I had to get up at 4 AM local time (6 AM eastern time) to do it, but after about an hour of trying apparently was able to buy a plan.  I pity the people who try it during "normal hours".

#28450 of 29663 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,186 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted December 04 2013 - 07:11 AM

I've been doing some hardware maintenance on my HT gear.  My SACD drive is a good one - a Philips  963SA - but it's been skipping and popping on a handful of discs lately.  Then I looked up the sales receipt and discovered I'd bought it in 2003. 

So  I bought one of those $10 Memorex "lens cleaning discs" at WalMart.  I always thought they were snake oil, but after one pass the skipping on the trial "bad" disc went away.  A couple of more passes and the popping almost disappeared. 

There's virtually no mention of these cleaning discs here at HTF but it seemed a good $10 fix.  Modern Sony Blu-Ray players all "play" SACD but only have 2 channel analog outs as opposed to the 6 analog outs of the Philips.  I'd have to spring for an OPPO to replace the Philips and my budget doesn't permit that now.

Dennis: 

You know I'm always on a budget.  I picked up a Pioneer 62-FD Elite player a while back to allow me the ease of playing all my discs SACD/DVD/Blu/DVD-A/etc. all on one player through HDMI.  I picked it up for <$200 on eBay.  I guess a bunch of people picked them up when Best Buy was blowing them out of their warehouse a year or so ago. 

I have been loving mine. 

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

#28451 of 29663 ONLINE   Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls

Lead Actor

• 7,873 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted December 04 2013 - 09:46 AM

Well yeah but....

My receiver doesn't do HDMI and I have an Outlaw ICBM for bass management.....so analog path is needed unless I replace the whole stack.  An OPPO is cheaper than replacing all that stuff.  :wacko:

#28452 of 29663 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,186 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted December 04 2013 - 10:19 AM

Gotcha.

It is truly a path of least resistance...

resistance.jpg

#28453 of 29663 ONLINE   Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls

Lead Actor

• 7,873 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted December 04 2013 - 12:05 PM

We know all about the path of least resistance in Boise.

081509_Lightnin%20g3.jpg

#28454 of 29663 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,149 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted December 04 2013 - 03:55 PM

I'm just going to pay the penalty until we get real single payer/socialized medicine like every other civilized nation
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#28455 of 29663 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Long Member

• 14,442 posts

Posted December 05 2013 - 06:41 AM

Those foreign movie poster artists know what would get people interested. :P

100 rifles.jpg

Loved the first two seasons of Homeland, exciting stuff, (reminded me of how addictive and edge of your seat 24 was a few years ago), but third season... sadly not so good, two episodes to go.

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

#28456 of 29663 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,186 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted December 05 2013 - 07:17 AM

Those foreign movie poster artists know what would get people interested. :P

What more do you need, if you've got Hans Gudegast?!?

#28457 of 29663 ONLINE   Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls

Lead Actor

• 7,873 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted December 05 2013 - 02:31 PM

I don't understand that movie poster for "El Verdugo" - The Executioner.  The cast listing is for another film, "100 Rifles" (1969).  There was a film from 1963 called El Verdugo but with an entirely different cast.

By the way Hans Gudegast later played under the name Eric Braeden.

Edited by Dennis Nicholls, December 05 2013 - 02:33 PM.

#28458 of 29663 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 10,036 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted December 05 2013 - 02:40 PM

What more do you need, if you've got Hans Gudegast?!?

He's no Hans Gruber....

Hans-Gruber-alan-rickman-6380912-1024-76

#28459 of 29663 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,149 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted December 06 2013 - 12:43 AM

Eric Braeden - of Titanic and The Young and the Restless
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#28460 of 29663 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Long Member

• 14,442 posts

Posted December 12 2013 - 01:37 PM

Our Man Flint 0011.jpg

Lord of the Hubs

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users