#28221 of 29376 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,511 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted July 07 2013 - 09:09 PM

NY's governor likes cars...

cuomo-articleLarge.jpg

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#28222 of 29376 OFFLINE   Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S

Producer

• 4,445 posts

Posted July 08 2013 - 12:15 PM

Saw What Maisie Knew this weekend.  Thought it was very good with great performances.  Some people really shouldn't be parents.

Also saw The East.  It was pretty good.

Watched the blu-ray of Dirty Mary Crazy Larry yesterday.  I hadn't seen it in ages and loved seeing it again.  I still remembered so much of the dialogue.  I was able to find the TV version only scenes online and wish they had been included on the blu-ray.  The featurette was interesting, and Hough, Fonda and George seemed to have such nice memories of the filming. 

#28223 of 29376 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 9,928 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted July 08 2013 - 12:41 PM

Oh yeah! Dirty Larry Crazy Maries! That was a good one. I bought the double feature disc on DVD a year or more before that bluray came out. The JERKS! It's a good one, though Race The Devil was my reason for purchasing, that's a GREAT movie! WArren Oats was a pretty good actor huh? Did you all see Two-Lane Blacktop? That's a good one too.

I watched Cyclone yesterday. If you were ever wanting a movie that starred Heather Thomas, academy award winner Martin Landau and a couple of Bowery Bows, this one is for you! They even throw in the Re-Animator at no extra cost! The movie isn't very GOOD, but it has some pretty great car stunts at the end and is one of stunt man Dar Robinsons last films.

#28224 of 29376 OFFLINE   Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S

Producer

• 4,445 posts

Posted July 09 2013 - 03:20 PM

I saw Race with the Devil way back when but I don't remember it very well.  I have the double feature Blu with DMCL, so I'll have to see it again one day.  I have Two-Lane Blacktop but have not seen it yet.

So, are you all seeing Pacific Rim this weekend?  I'll probably see it, but I'm not too enthused about it somehow. 

#28225 of 29376 OFFLINE   Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,748 posts

Posted July 09 2013 - 04:13 PM

So, are you all seeing Pacific Rim this weekend?

Since del Toro is involved, I'm hoping for a more intelligent version of the Transformers films.   It is doing pretty well on Metacritic with only two reviews below 60.  I probably won't get to the film until next week.  

It certainly looks like the type of film that needs to be experienced on the big screen with the theater audio turned to 11.

- Walter.

Edited by Walter Kittel, July 09 2013 - 04:14 PM.

Fidelity to the source should always be the goal for Blu-ray releases.

#28226 of 29376 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 9,928 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted July 09 2013 - 04:52 PM

I'm up for Pacific Rim! But not this weekend, I probably wont get to it until my Staycation in a couple weeks. I want to get in this and World War ZZZZZZZZZZZ.

#28227 of 29376 OFFLINE   Dave Upton

Dave Upton

Owner

• 837 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted July 10 2013 - 01:28 PM

I will be venturing forth for Pacific Rim on Saturday. I'll be sure to report back to all of you here :-)

Sent from my SGH-I747 using HTF mobile app

#28228 of 29376 OFFLINE   Dave Upton

Dave Upton

Owner

• 837 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted July 12 2013 - 04:46 AM

No posts in two days, don't tell me I killed the thread! 

On a film related note - has anyone managed to see the very low budget "A Hijacking"?

I really want to see this one, but even in Houston I can't find a showtime.

#28229 of 29376 OFFLINE   Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S

Producer

• 4,445 posts

Posted July 12 2013 - 06:06 PM

Sounds like the kind of film I'd like, but "A Hijacking" has not come here.  This week's new openings at the "arthouse" are "20 Feet from Stardom" and "Unfinished Song" (neither of which I plan to see).

#28230 of 29376 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 9,928 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted July 12 2013 - 06:08 PM

Sounds like the kind of film I'd like, but "A Hijacking" has not come here.  This week's new openings at the "arthouse" are "20 Feet from Stardom" and "Unfinished Song" (neither of which I plan to see).

Seeing how I've never heard of those movies, they are not on my to see list.

#28231 of 29376 OFFLINE   Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,748 posts

Posted July 12 2013 - 06:26 PM

I really want to see this one, but even in Houston I can't find a showtime.

It is the type of film that might play at one of the downtown theaters, but a quick google search turned up empty.  It sounds interesting to be sure.  I believe the last film I saw in downtown Houston was at the Angelika (which unfortunately closed a little over three years ago.)  The Landmark River Oaks theater or possibly the AMC Studio 30 on Dunvale are probably the best bets if the film ever screens in Houston.

- Walter.

Fidelity to the source should always be the goal for Blu-ray releases.

#28232 of 29376 OFFLINE   Dave Upton

Dave Upton

Owner

• 837 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted July 12 2013 - 07:45 PM

Thanks Walter, will certainly keep that in mind.

Just got home from seeing Pacific Rim, and I'll admit - I found it surprisingly enjoyable. Pure popcorn, but it manages to be epic 90% of the time vs. corny. Also - I'm a big fan of Ramin Djawadi's scores, and this one is quite good - reminiscent of the first Iron Man. Overall - 4.25/5.

#28233 of 29376 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,511 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted July 14 2013 - 05:24 PM

No posts in two days, don't tell me I killed the thread! 

Calling Dr. Joseph Howard...

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#28234 of 29376 OFFLINE   Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S

Producer

• 4,445 posts

Posted July 15 2013 - 10:54 AM

I saw Pacific Rim this weekend.  It was very cliched and predictable, right down to the mid-credits sequence.  I enjoyed beardless (and shirtless) Charlie Hunnam and his chemistry with Rinko Kikuchi.  The one standout sequence of the film actually relied on an actress' performance and our empathy rather than special effects.  The sequence which sets up the Raleigh/Mako dynamic is also extremely well done -- again, no special effects. 

I think I've become a little blasé about CGI and fancy visuals and am looking for a little more originality in characterizations and narrative.  Basically, this is a mega budget rock-em sock-em robot and monsters movie. 

Edited by Elizabeth S, July 15 2013 - 10:56 AM.

#28235 of 29376 OFFLINE   Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls

Lead Actor

• 7,795 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted July 15 2013 - 07:25 PM

Calling Dr. Joseph Howard...

You rang?

lurch4.jpg

Feline videophiles Condoleezza and Dukie.

#28236 of 29376 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Long Member

• 14,359 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted July 17 2013 - 08:45 AM

I liked Pacific Rim, but it isn't the best film I've seen this year. I would have enjoyed it a lot more if I was half the age I am now. The effects were top notch as you would expect but I would have preferred some of the action to be in broad daylight and without rain. I remember reading a news story where George Lucas sneered at Roland Emmerich's Godzilla because it was constantly raining in that film (the effects were not by ILM). But they did do the FX for Pacific Rim and there is a lot of rain in this film too.

The problem with seeing huge robots fight the monsters is that they diminish the scale and scariness of these alien creatures (from another dimension). All they had to do was drop a nuke on each one that emerges from the sea.

Stay a minute or two during the credits for some bonus footage.

Recommended 4 out of 5.

Wolverine next.

Spoiler alert

Looking back on the big finish, wasn't it very similar to The Avengers? But down instead of up? :3dglasses:

pacificrim.jpg

Edited by Steve Christou, July 17 2013 - 08:48 AM.

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

#28237 of 29376 OFFLINE   Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls

Lead Actor

• 7,795 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted July 18 2013 - 04:03 PM

Kind of an odd thing happened.  I was in a store today and picked up a metal movie poster of what appears to be John Wayne's first Warner Bros. picture.

John Wayne Duke Horse.jpg

Here he isn't called "Duke":  his horse is....

I had to check this out and found out that Marrion Morrison had a big dog named "Duke" when he was a child.  Some adults called him "Little Duke" and the name stuck with him for his life.  I guess he got to name the horse after the dog and himself too.

Shades of Henry "Indiana" Jones being named for the dog.

Feline videophiles Condoleezza and Dukie.

#28238 of 29376 OFFLINE   Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S

Producer

• 4,445 posts

Posted July 20 2013 - 07:30 PM

Saw Red 2 today and enjoyed it a lot.  My memory of the first one is vague, but I probably liked this one more because of Byung-hun Lee.  Glad to see he has a really good part in this.  I didn't see GI: Joe Retaliation yet (will wait for the blu), but his role in the first one wasn't very substantial.  

Edited by Elizabeth S, July 20 2013 - 07:38 PM.

#28239 of 29376 OFFLINE   Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S

Producer

• 4,445 posts

Posted July 23 2013 - 12:00 PM

Finally watched X-Men Origins Wolverine last night in case I decide to see Wolverine.  People seem to hate this movie on various forums, but I didn't think it was bad.  (And of course, I got a little Taylor Kitsch.)  I view most of these comic book films without being too familiar with the comics.  (I mainly read the Batman and Superman ones as a kid, and I liked The Teen Titans and Justice League.  Never was into X-Men and Fantastic Four.)

I watched Despicable Me several nights ago and thought it was charming.  Saw DM2 this weekend.  I like Steve Carell's voice work, but found Kristen Wiig really annoying in this and didn't care too much for the other side characters. 

#28240 of 29376 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,169 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted July 25 2013 - 06:23 AM

20130725_095216_zpsd0a8c396.jpg
facebook.com/whotony

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users